Anyone use an hob filter succsessfully on a reef tank ?

curt CORNMAN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I will probably take a beating for asking , but does anyone , use an hob filter on a reef tank successfully? And can it be done? I have a 55 gal reef mixed reef tank that has been going for 9 months now. I do not have room for an adequate sump in my stand. I do have an oversized hob skimmer that is rated for a 100 gal. tank. I have a fluval canister filter wich I service regularly that I would like to do away with. Anyone ?
Hi I have a 20 gallon hexagon reef tank with hang on back filter no problems yet but I do weekly water changes

DavidMiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DEFINITELY!!

Other than being easier to deal with, adding a bit more water volume and making the DT look prettier, it won't have any real benefits over your HOB equipment.

I have a 75g holding tank that "held" a couple pajamas for over a year. NO filtration. Just a curve 7 skimmer sitting inside the tank. Yes it surged from time to time and didn't work optimum, but the tank thrives! I have a couple large rocks for beneficial bacteria, a heater and a circulation pump. Thats it.
There's some baby bubble tip anemones and tons of bristle worms for my CUC. I feed that tank Heavy.

So essentially all you need is circulation and heat. Then just a way to remove the uneaten food and waste.

Oh yeah, I think I did like 1 water change to that tank. Pajamas moved out about a month ago, but I still have that tank running. That thing is so stable.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DEFINITELY!!

Other than being easier to deal with, adding a bit more water volume and making the DT look prettier, it won't have any real benefits over your HOB equipment.

I have a 75g holding tank that "held" a couple pajamas for over a year. NO filtration. Just a curve 7 skimmer sitting inside the tank. Yes it surged from time to time and didn't work optimum, but the tank thrives! I have a couple large rocks for beneficial bacteria, a heater and a circulation pump. Thats it.
There's some baby bubble tip anemones and tons of bristle worms for my CUC. I feed that tank Heavy.

So essentially all you need is circulation and heat. Then just a way to remove the uneaten food and waste.

Oh yeah, I think I did like 1 water change to that tank. Pajamas moved out about a month ago, but I still have that tank running. That thing is so stable.

do you have a pic of it? :)

DavidMiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't.
But I can take one tonight.
I'm thinking of taking off the skimmer and seeing how it goes.
I have been feeding less now that the Pajamas are out. But the worms still eat everything up.
I'll turn out the light for a while and have them come out.

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my old 29 gallon of 4 years with all hob equipment before I upgraded.

E5468F59-6E32-4979-A785-629F50114ACC.jpeg

DavidMiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's that 75g holding tank. It was up in 0ct of 2017. The fish were in there since then. Just moved them last month
It aint pretty. :eek: lol But it's down in the basement
thumbnail (1).jpg thumbnail (3).jpg thumbnail (2).jpg

josh515025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to try a Tunze 9012 skimmer rated for 200gal in my 75gal. It goes attached by magnet inside the tank. If this where my only filtration would that be sufficient?
I would have no mechanical filtration. I don’t know if I would have any problems

curt CORNMAN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I will probably take a beating for asking , but does anyone , use an hob filter on a reef tank successfully? And can it be done? I have a 55 gal reef mixed reef tank that has been going for 9 months now. I do not have room for an adequate sump in my stand. I do have an oversized hob skimmer that is rated for a 100 gal. tank. I have a fluval canister filter wich I service regularly that I would like to do away with. Anyone ?
Yes I have 2 aqua clear on my 75 gallon reef. No problems at least 2,000 $ in corals

William Norman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the hob and canister on my 55 as well. I found that you need to adjust how often you change your floss depending how you feed. If you are able to keep everything stable then just keep on doing what you are doing. If you listen to WWC then they say flow is more important then anything. I had 2 icecap gyres. I would change my floss every 4 days so it didnt have a chance to break down.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back