Anyones inhabitants acting "off" yet from eclipse?

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be interesting to know if anyones having different tank behaviors due to the eclipse?

thought it was odd when I came downstairs this morning and the octopus was out crawling around. normally she is napping at by light. she only went to snooze when I took out the phone to try and get a pic. She ate well last night (2 oysters) and watched TV with us. wondering if the eclipse cycle is throwing inhabitants off today?

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's well documented that although some animals will act different during an eclipse, it tends to be limited to the animals in the area of totality where it becomes dark enough that nocturnal animals come out and others start evening rituals. It's not something that will effect animals outside of that area.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's well documented that although some animals will act different during an eclipse, it tends to be limited to the animals in the area of totality where it becomes dark enough that nocturnal animals come out and others start evening rituals. It's not something that will effect animals outside of that area.
I'll be outside since we are in the area but have a camera on the tank.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said she is hanging out of hiding today. This can’t be a coincidence.

Attachments

• IMG_1726.jpeg
    IMG_1726.jpeg
    259.7 KB · Views: 78

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have an rfa that looks like it's going to spawn.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lunar pulls and sun pulls.
Many animals are effected by things not seen but felt.
That affects tides in the ocean, and changes in current can affect ocean inhabitants behavior

An eclipse does not cause any impact on this, and, even if it did, would not affect an aquarium. Our aquariums have no tides to be affected by these pulls.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I doubt indoors if there will be any effect as the light cycle in the tank will not change however it has been said, animals outdoors will become quiet, crickets will be chirping at their loudest and winds will become still until the eclipse passes

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That affects tides in the ocean, and changes in current can affect ocean inhabitants behavior

An eclipse does not cause any impact on this, and, even if it did, would not affect an aquarium. Our aquariums have no tides to be affected by these pulls.
Yes tides change from the pulls.
I still feel animals also feel some pulls too.
Having said that, I don't think that the fact that the sun is blocked out will have an effect on animals in our tanks.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes tides change from the pulls.
I still feel animals also feel some pulls too.
Having said that, I don't think that the fact that the sun is blocked out will have an effect on animals in our tanks.

If animals can feel pulls, why can’t people? This is not a spiritual or 6th sense thing, the pulls from the moons effect on gravity are extremely small, it affects the tides due to the VAST amount of area they cover on the earth. There is no effect on tiny creatures and people. That is why the moon can cause ocean waves to rise and fall, yet a person can stand nearby and feel nothing.

It’s a tiny amount of pull that needs thousands of miles of ocean to be affected, things on a planetary scale type of size. a person, a deer, whatever, can not feel this. And if you think animals can, then why can’t people?

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If animals can feel pulls, why can’t people?
while I agree with everything else you wrote on the pull not effecting animals or us, this reasoning is way off.

There’s countless things that animals can feel that we as humans cannot because they have different sensory organs than we do.
Sharks for example have their ampullae of lorenzini that can detect small amounts of electrical energy, like the heartbeat of another animal.
We don’t have those. Does that mean they can’t actually feel it.

Again, this logic is just flawed

Animals and humans are different and therefor experience and perceive things differently

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for fun on a natural-phenomenon-and-aquatic-life-related note:

1 - Solar eclipses have known effects on water properties and seawater, so it may be possible for our fish to know something is happening with the eclipse (though there's no guarantee unless the tank is exposed to sunlight, as I haven't found research on the matter with regards to aquariums not exposed to the sun).
2 - Catfish have been demonstrated to be able to predict earthquakes with up to 80% accuracy about 6 hours prior to the quake:

"The experimenters think that the catfish are made sensitive through electrical changes in the earth, since it was only when the aquarium was electrically earthed, through the drain-pipe, that they responded to a coming earthquake."
3 - Leeches have been used for their ability to sense atmospheric changes as a barometer to predict coming storms and their severity.

Edit: Forgot point 4 - some people report their aquarium fish reacting to storms despite being inside and unable to see the storms coming.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back