Apartment/Condo Living - Challenges

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious to know about other reefers experiences with having a reef tank (doesn't matter what size it is) in an apartment/condo complex versus a detached house environment. Living in a house has its perks of having more space, and making water changes easier such as being able to go outside to dump wastewater, etc.

In the next few years I'm thinking I'll downsize and move into an apartment/condo complex. I want to keep a WaterBox 20 Gallon cube I think.

Anyhow, wanting to hear about your living space arrangements and how it has impacted the hobby. Hoping that living in a smaller confined space won't put a damper on things...

Thanks

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60g in a one bedroom apartment. Water changes are annoying with giant trash can. I wish had the space to setup a water change station and not have to wheel around brute cans. I could have probably gone up to 90g before it became too unreasonable.... so you can definitely go higher

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20g tank should be no issue. RODI took up the most room for me, but with a tank that size, you can bring in RODI from the outside in 5g containers. You can also do water changes in 5g buckets. I kept all of my buckets and stuff outside when I was not using them.

Cheezle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 gallon long/26 gallon peninsula in my 760ish sqft apartment, only challenge for me has been pH. I live on the bottom floor and in the desert so I can't exactly have open my windows open all the time in order to get some fresh air but that issue can probably be solved with an algae scrubber or something. Water changes are easy, I do them with a 5 gallon bucket that I keep in the stand so its out of sight.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have a dining room, so above 20g does get big in a one bedroom....
DSC08697.jpg

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32g cube and used to have a 12g cube. 5 gallon buckets are my friend. With my 12g I used to just buy RO/DI water, but this time around I found a small 4 stage RO/DI.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot, some people love or hate the noise of a tank in the bedroom. If you are planning a bedroom tank, make sure that you have room in the shared living areas if you end up not being able to stand the white noise.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many years ago, I had a 29 gallon in my second floor, one bedroom garden apartment. One night at 2 a.m., the downstairs neighbor is banging on my door. The tank blew a seam and water was coming through her ceiling. That was a long night.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'm curious to know about other reefers experiences with having a reef tank (doesn't matter what size it is) in an apartment/condo complex versus a detached house environment. Living in a house has its perks of having more space, and making water changes easier such as being able to go outside to dump wastewater, etc.

In the next few years I'm thinking I'll downsize and move into an apartment/condo complex. I want to keep a WaterBox 20 Gallon cube I think.

Anyhow, wanting to hear about your living space arrangements and how it has impacted the hobby. Hoping that living in a smaller confined space won't put a damper on things...

Thanks
I have a condo and have a 400g with much room and functionality

3BA86473-1537-4C9A-B4F6-B1AFE3802960.jpeg
FB4393BE-4E59-42C4-BA74-E5900CD4BC70.jpeg

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a 38 gallon and a 55 both in upstairs apartments.

When I had the 38, I hooked my Rodi with a threaded fitting to the bathroom sink and made water in 5 gallon buckets in my shower. I did something similar at my other apartment, but had a downstairs ground floor landing where my buckets sat, ran the tubing down the stairs.

I sent water downstairs enough times to plan for spills. I don't remember what I did with WC water, maybe down the sink or lugged outside.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do it now in a 2 story condo with a 120g & 50g. Both tanks on the lower floor. AWC is out for me due to lack of storage and drainage issues. I do keep a 25g brute full of RODI on standby, which is rotated out for refill of ATO containers. Both tanks are marked for drainage as needed but I do minimal WC's. Like only 10% a month (at most), so lugging buckets isnt a huge deal. If I need to do a large wc or drain a tank, I usually just run a python to the sink, or use a utility pump and pump it outside.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks
Ive got a 125 and a 70 in my condo! Didnt tell the land lord lol, didnt even think to do so until I read someone saying they have size restrictions!!!

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got a 125 and a 70 in my condo! Didnt tell the land lord lol, didnt even think to do so until I read someone saying they have size restrictions!!!
I own my place now, but I did a previois 150g in a second floor apt in my stupid youth, lol. As a landlord, dont let that leak, lol.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own my place now, but I did a previois 150g in a second floor apt in my stupid youth, lol. As a landlord, dont let that leak, lol.
Oh Im on it for sure. That would be a fun one to explain to the guy why his house is ruined

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 29 53.7%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.7%
Back