First time buyer, Red Sea 170 versus 200 model, versus 32 bio-cube

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I have been wanting a reef setup for a long time. I have been soaking my head with as much info as possible. My first choice would be the 32 coralife bio-cube, but, I am turned off of it because I think it will be more difficult to maintain, and adding a sump to it seems difficult, drilling holes or whatever. I know it is not made as well. But I have seen plenty of bio cube setups that are nice. I would upgrade it as much as possible, with new lights, filters, etc. It just seems like since it is so much cheaper, it must be more difficult to maintain. I am still trying to wrap my head around a couple of other issues regarding the Red Sea Reef packages, like the Deluxe model versus the "System" which is about $1300 more. Would I end up having to pay much more money in the long run by not buying the system outright? If so, how much more? I think it is easier for me to pay the $2000 now and extras later on rather than a large amount of money now. I try and compare what the deluxe model comes with versus the "system" package model comes with and I get confused. So is the deluxe model not actually ready to go? I would need a roller mat and protein skimmer? I do not think the marketing literature is very clear on what one gets additionally with the system package. The System package info on the internet has a "what's included" column, which they do not show for the deluxe packages.

But ultimately my biggest quandary is whether to go with a 170, or a 200 model. 33, versus 42 gallon environment as right now I am living in an upstairs apartment. I actually paid an aquarium store locally to come and inspect where I am, an they charged me $200 for the consult, which would be deducted from the full setup fee. Their setup fee ended up being quote of $6000 for the 200 system fully setup. IE, they even quoted $400 to unpackage the system and I know I can just put it together myself or hire someone from a different store to put it together on his off time. I have full renters and earthquake insurance in case there are some mishaps but I think logically smaller is better for me. Mentally and what I want, larger is better. I understand larger tanks are easier to maintain equilibrium in. The 170 just seems to be better for my space. Essentially they are the same except the 200 model is 3" wider and so might cause the apartment manager to get nervous .She got nervous when I told her I wanted a 100 gallon tank. I told her I would get something smaller. When she eventually does see it, I do not want there much shock factor. For that reason also I was thinking about the 32 Bio cube. It would not freak out the manager because of its size. But, I do know that the 170 is built much better and would be far less prone to create water damage than the 32 bio-cube.

Any thoughts, advise?

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I have been wanting a reef setup for a long time. I have been soaking my head with as much info as possible. My first choice would be the 32 coralife bio-cube, but, I am turned off of it because I think it will be more difficult to maintain, and adding a sump to it seems difficult, drilling holes or whatever. I know it is not made as well. But I have seen plenty of bio cube setups that are nice. I would upgrade it as much as possible, with new lights, filters, etc. It just seems like since it is so much cheaper, it must be more difficult to maintain. I am still trying to wrap my head around a couple of other issues regarding the Red Sea Reef packages, like the Deluxe model versus the "System" which is about $1300 more. Would I end up having to pay much more money in the long run by not buying the system outright? If so, how much more? I think it is easier for me to pay the $2000 now and extras later on rather than a large amount of money now. I try and compare what the deluxe model comes with versus the "system" package model comes with and I get confused. So is the deluxe model not actually ready to go? I would need a roller mat and protein skimmer? I do not think the marketing literature is very clear on what one gets additionally with the system package. The System package info on the internet has a "what's included" column, which they do not show for the deluxe packages.

But ultimately my biggest quandary is whether to go with a 170, or a 200 model. 33, versus 42 gallon environment as right now I am living in an upstairs apartment. I actually paid an aquarium store locally to come and inspect where I am, an they charged me $200 for the consult, which would be deducted from the full setup fee. Their setup fee ended up being quote of $6000 for the 200 system fully setup. IE, they even quoted $400 to unpackage the system and I know I can just put it together myself or hire someone from a different store to put it together on his off time. I have full renters and earthquake insurance in case there are some mishaps but I think logically smaller is better for me. Mentally and what I want, larger is better. I understand larger tanks are easier to maintain equilibrium in. The 170 just seems to be better for my space. Essentially they are the same except the 200 model is 3" wider and so might cause the apartment manager to get nervous .She got nervous when I told her I wanted a 100 gallon tank. I told her I would get something smaller. When she eventually does see it, I do not want there much shock factor. For that reason also I was thinking about the 32 Bio cube. It would not freak out the manager because of its size. But, I do know that the 170 is built much better and would be far less prone to create water damage than the 32 bio-cube.

Any thoughts, advise?

Well today I ordered the 200 Max. The seller convinced me that I need the max because of the 500 skimmer will make my life easier. And it has a roll out console in the sump tank. Well I did not realize when I posted first off there is a beginners forum so I am going to post there.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 123 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%

Back