Apex BRS code program for dual maxspect gyres

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

NefTunzReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ryan from BRS shared his Apex program codes for alternating dual maxspect gyres in a recent video review but I cannot find that info anymore. Does anyone have that link or the code program? Thanks in advance!

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ryan from BRS shared his Apex program codes for alternating dual maxspect gyres in a recent video review but I cannot find that info anymore. Does anyone have that link or the code program? Thanks in advance!

Hey!

It's listed in the description of this video HERE! :)

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We haven't attempted to recreate the flow pattern with these pumps, but I'd imagine someone will soon figure out a way to replicate the flow! If you do, please share with all of us! :)

-Randy
Well I plugged in what u guys had for the gyre and it seems to have worked
image.jpg

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And after hours on the reeflink I did it to the mp10’s as well
image.jpg

techhnyne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im looking to do this. I need to buy 2 gyre controllers to do this? each maxspect needs its own controller and its own icecap?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tklb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im looking to do this. I need to buy 2 gyre controllers to do this? each maxspect needs its own controller and its own icecap?
No, I thought the same thing. If you have an APEX, and I assume you do since you are talking about the ICECAP Modules. Here is what I just did, and it is working perfectly...

I purchased:
2 - Gyre XF-250 Pumps (Without Controller)
2 - IceCap Modules (For the XF-250 - Make sure you purchase the correct module)
2 - Amazon Power Supplies - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DNBYBZP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and that was it. The Icecap Module takes the place of the advanced controller.

YOU MUST USE one of your 0-10V Ports (2-Variable Speed Ports on one RJ45 Port on your APEX)

I will post my Apex program in a bit. I like it better than the BRS Program, as it moves more water.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tklb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my APEX Programming for my Dual Gyre XF250 Setup for my 120G Display Tank...

upload_2018-8-29_9-38-2.png

I started out with the BRS configuration, and I liked it, but there was never a point where I had more than a total of 100% between the 2 pumps. If one was at 100%, the other was at 0%. If one was at 75%, the other was at 25%, etc. So I modified it a bit and this is what I use. Basically I have 1 hour where the Gyre is Clockwise (L=100%, R=0%), then for 30 Min, the Right Gyre pump ramps from 0-100%. Then for 30 Min, the Left Gyre pump ramps down from 100% to 0%. Then it runs that way for 1 Hour with a Counter Clockwise Gyre. Then I ramp the other way (Ramp up the Left Gyre pump, then Ramp down the Right Gyre pump.

Ultimately, this creates a Clockwise Gyre for 1 hour, then during the next hour a small 2nd gyre (Counter-Clockwise) sets up on the far right tank and grows in size as the original Gyre gets smaller. For the next hour There is a single Counter Clockwise Gyre, then an hour where a second Gyre (Clockwise) sets up on the left side of the tank and grows as the original (Counter-Clockwise) Gyre gets smaller.

The Cycle lasts 4 hours with 1 Hour of Gyre in one direction, One hour of "Turbulence", One hour of Gyre in the other direction, then another hour of "Turbulence".

The really interesting thing about the Turbulent Hour is that the flow at the boundry of the 2 gyres is downward and very turbulent, and it flows across the tank over the course of the hour. It is very cool to watch (I really need to be pumping micro-bubbles into the aquariuim in order to really see the gyres), and my SPS really seem to enjoy the new flow pattern.

Also, for a few min every 2 hours, when both Gyre Pumps are at 100% and the Gyres are meeting in the middle of the tank, that water is really moving in the tank. The amount of flow in my 120 is increadible (2-Gyre XF-250s at 100% & 2 WAV Pumps at 90% Mavericks on the back wall). I thought it might be too much, but the water stays in the tank, the fish can handle it, and the SPS love it.

Strat1960s

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey!

It's listed in the description of this video HERE! :)
Randy, I'm a bit late getting to the Maxspect gyre programming with my Apex. Are you still using the same or similar programming. Its been a little over a year since the video was posted. Any pros or cons to running this program that popped up during the last year? Thank you in advance. Ted

Strat1960s

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, I'm a bit late getting to the Maxspect gyre programming with my Apex. Are you still using the same or similar programming. Its been a little over a year since the video was posted. Any pros or cons to running this program that popped up during the last year? Thank you in advance. Ted
Randy, Also, does this setup require two(2) interface modules?

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hey Ted, we have since moved away from that exact program after having an issue with one of the interface modules (which yes, you do need two). We are able to achieve sort of the same flow patterns using the Advanced Controller and Reverse Time Delay with Alternating Gyre mode. Along with that we also incorporated 3x- MP40s in the BRS160 to increase flow and follow the flow guidelines we are aiming for with the latest BRS/WWC Hybrid System.

The programming for these Apex Gyre pump contol is actually available in Fusion under Schemes - "BRS160_Gyre_Left" and "BRS160_Gyre_Right". :)

Strat1960s

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Ted, we have since moved away from that exact program after having an issue with one of the interface modules (which yes, you do need two). We are able to achieve sort of the same flow patterns using the Advanced Controller and Reverse Time Delay with Alternating Gyre mode. Along with that we also incorporated 3x- MP40s in the BRS160 to increase flow and follow the flow guidelines we are aiming for with the latest BRS/WWC Hybrid System.

The programming for these Apex Gyre pump contol is actually available in Fusion under Schemes - "BRS160_Gyre_Left" and "BRS160_Gyre_Right". :)
Randy,
This problem with the icecap, was it a problem with the program or the icecap itself. In other words, if I set this system up will I run into the same problem?
In addition to the two icecap controllers, will I need to get the adapter cable(s), one or two?
Ted

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy,
This problem with the icecap, was it a problem with the program or the icecap itself. In other words, if I set this system up will I run into the same problem?
In addition to the two icecap controllers, will I need to get the adapter cable(s), one or two?
Ted

Not a systemic problem with the interface modules, we just had one go out and at the time we were out of stock on them. We never did change them back.

OP
OP
NefTunzReef

NefTunzReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an FYI, the program also works with Tunze turbelle controllables. I have my Maxspect gyres and Tunze turbelles coordinated in this manner. Lots of turbulent flow [emoji4]

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back