Apex DOS DIY level switch?

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a BOB directly from Cuse when they first (?) became available. It has been running without problems ever since I bought it. I tried to buy a second one, but by that time Cuse had vanished into the unknown. Don't ask me anything about resistors ~ I'm an electronic know-nothing.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the tips in this thread. I just stuck 2 wires together and it worked!

The best part, it’s free!

D4364DBC-9192-45CF-BEAF-2BED861E6203.jpeg B8447CAA-5086-4F2F-AA18-478D5F78539B.png

dmanshep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been fighting my DDR as well and decided to try the jump pin 4 and 6 and it didn't return the DDR tile to my fusion dash or even make it available.. Is a resistor actually necessary or should a straight jump work? Maybe my DOS is the problem?

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been fighting my DDR as well and decided to try the jump pin 4 and 6 and it didn't return the DDR tile to my fusion dash or even make it available.. Is a resistor actually necessary or should a straight jump work? Maybe my DOS is the problem?

Mine took a few mins to show up. Maybe try refreshing your fusion app.

KarlsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made up my own cables today based on this thread, including the optical sensors as want them for a level monitor in sump.... Works perfectly and does everything it's supposed to. Thanks to all those who've put the research in on this.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a BOB directly from Cuse when they first (?) became available. It has been running without problems ever since I bought it. I tried to buy a second one, but by that time Cuse had vanished into the unknown. Don't ask me anything about resistors ~ I'm an electronic know-nothing.

Maybe I spoke too soon. Something died. I don't know if it was something on the board, the power supply or one of the cheap Chinese eBay optical sensors. As I previously stated, I'm an electronic know-nothing. I had to replace them with an Apex FMM and three Apex opticals.

I haven't tossed the original parts yet. If you're an electronics wiz, you can have them to play with for the cost of postage to you. PM me...

BradVol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a way to use the calculated level of the dosing container in programming for a virtual outlet? I'd like to set an alarm when the level falls below a certain amount.

I'm using the optical sensors in my sump and ATO. It would be really nice to get a low level alert to refill my dosing containers.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a way to use the calculated level of the dosing container in programming for a virtual outlet? I'd like to set an alarm when the level falls below a certain amount.

I'm using the optical sensors in my sump and ATO. It would be really nice to get a low level alert to refill my dosing containers.
No, there’s no programmatic way to access the calculated level. This has been a requested feature for several years but Neptune has not offered any solution. The only option is to use a float or optical switch.

Delloman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone used the non contact sensors with the dos? Read the thread but most used it with the BOB board

ConsummatePro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it’s worth I used a 100 ohm resistor and it worked to activate the DDR graphic. I know people have just bare wire jumpered but I figured it might just be safer to use the resistor anyway.

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome. I used a jumper wire and voila the DDR tile showed up. I love this cheap hack. I ended up ordering 2 molex 6 pin plugs with resistors to do it the right way. This is such a neat hack. Not sure if other are as excited about this as me. Thanks to CuseReefer for figuring this out.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can either jump the pins, or just buy the correct molex plug, cut the wires, and bug the 2 together(probably safer and more permanent then using a jumper wire).

DesertDawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome. I used a jumper wire and voila the DDR tile showed up. I love this cheap hack. I ended up ordering 2 molex 6 pin plugs with resistors to do it the right way. This is such a neat hack. Not sure if other are as excited about this as me. Thanks to CuseReefer for figuring this out.
Have a link for the 2 molex 6 pin plugs with resistors you used by chance? Thanks!

ifreefingwasaperson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There
You can set the reservoir size to anything you want. You have to calibrate the DOS heads and once that's set it knows how much it dispenses each time and removed that from the fluid tracking. When you refill your reservoir there is a button in the app to reset the level. The sensors aren't used by the dosing software at all. Only if you want to use them as an email alarm or disable a dosing head if the reservoir is low/empty.
is there a way around the limit on the container size. I tried apex local also

jokerman826

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anyone figured out how to use standard float switches with this vice optical? doing the mod for the tiles to show up, the system shows the "DDR" switches as closed with an open circuit

jokerman826

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anyone figured out how to use standard float switches with this vice optical? doing the mod for the tiles to show up, the system shows the "DDR" switches as closed with an open circuit

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 40 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back