Apex LLS for RODI/ATO automation

mooshoo62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. New to the LLS on the apex and wondering if I can use it in my ato reservoir to control the solenoid valve on my RODI.

I’ve see on here that it doesn’t react quickly enough to replace an ATO unit, but wondering if a can use it to automate the ATO of my ATO…

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1708537123106.png

Chuck_e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. New to the LLS on the apex and wondering if I can use it in my ato reservoir to control the solenoid valve on my RODI.

I’ve see on here that it doesn’t react quickly enough to replace an ATO unit, but wondering if a can use it to automate the ATO of my ATO…

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.
There are some good threads in Reef2Reef about Apex programming that you can check out, but not that specific example. ReefDudes has a video on his YouTube channel hat explains how to do this. He has triple-redundancy - the LLS, then an optical switch, and then a water detector in case everything overflows. You can also program a maximum run-time.

OP
OP
M

mooshoo62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some good threads in Reef2Reef about Apex programming that you can check out, but not that specific example. ReefDudes has a video on his YouTube channel hat explains how to do this. He has triple-redundancy - the LLS, then an optical switch, and then a water detector in case everything overflows. You can also program a maximum run-time.
Thank you. I end up just using a low and high level optical sensor controlling the solenoid valve. Water intake is also on a mechanical float for backup if the solenoid or sensors fail

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I end up just using a low and high level optical sensor controlling the solenoid valve. Water intake is also on a mechanical float for backup if the solenoid or sensors fail
I think that's the best approach, I tried to use the smaller lls for top off and even though a had set the code to fill between 4" and 4.4", the sensor always registered 6-10. Just like your concern it's not responsive enough.

OP
OP
M

mooshoo62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made it work, but use a combination of a timer and the optical sensors. Use the level sensor to kick off the code.
Limiting run time is a good idea. I had some extra optical sensors so just left the lls out and it works like a charm. I’ll have to find another use for it…

Attachments

• 671BE6ED-D03A-4FB5-B642-761E9FD9315C.jpeg
    671BE6ED-D03A-4FB5-B642-761E9FD9315C.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 7

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Limiting run time is a good idea. I had some extra optical sensors so just left the lls out and it works like a charm. I’ll have to find another use for it…
I misunderstood your question, the LLS is suitable for filling your RODI reservoir. I use them exclusively for that purpose.

Coding is extremely simple for that. Set you low and marks and it will turn the rodi unit on when it hits the low mark, and shut off at the top of your setting.

You can get more elaborate than that, but the point being, what you're asking is well within the LLS' wheel house.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back