Apex Trident

strike2867

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understand for APEX to come out now this late and say we goofed and it will take X time will only open the flood gates of competition for others who have been looking at the same tech

I'm confused, why would it open the flood gates? The competition has already been looking at the same tech, especially with the Alkatronic and several others already released. Maybe it would make the competition more ambitious to release early and come to the market first.

Da Ghost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe a poor choice of words to say flood gates. But consider how many companies may not have fully invested in R&D knowing or believing that APEX was sooooo close. I know I would not have invested at that point as much. So in essence by claiming to have that ‘eureka’ moment early May have bought them some additional time to perfect or get going the product. Where are we now on the wait game.

DUMBO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point I just want an update. I’m good to wait but just tell me for how long.

strike2867

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a poor choice of words to say flood gates. But consider how many companies may not have fully invested in R&D knowing or believing that APEX was sooooo close. I know I would not have invested at that point as much. So in essence by claiming to have that ‘eureka’ moment early May have bought them some additional time to perfect or get going the product. Where are we now on the wait game.

Or it could mirror what happened with hybrids and electric cars. Look at how many companies are now jumping into the water now that Tesla has shown it's possible to swim.

DUMBO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's say they tell you 1 year. If that were the case, personally, I'd order the Alkatronic.

Main thing is that I like the simplicity of having an all in one system, but yeah, waiting too long will make me pull the trigger on something else.

strike2867

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just honestly can't wait until Neptune has some REAL competition. They have an effective monopoly on the market for modular controllers....even sent digital aquatics (which was FAR more affordable) bankrup.

I had no idea they went bankrupt. I've had a Reefkeeper Lite for almost a decade now. Starting with a 90 gallon, 210 gallon and now a sad 30.

Hitch08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had the same thought. A number of other companies were getting a fair amount of buzz in the Spring. I'm having a tough time not thinking that they made their announcement in order to....take some wind out of those sails. It caused people interested in this type of product to, at the very least, pause to consider Neptune's product. BRS added a photo and description to their online products, with an ability to "Notify Me When In-Stock." The "announcement" wasn't ignored.

strike2867

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same thought. A number of other companies were getting a fair amount of buzz in the Spring. I'm having a tough time not thinking that they made their announcement in order to....take some wind out of those sails. It caused people interested in this type of product to, at the very least, pause to consider Neptune's product. BRS added a photo and description to their online products, with an ability to "Notify Me When In-Stock." The "announcement" wasn't ignored.

Yes, several sites have added that now. I assume that's coming from Neptune, not BRS making things up.

i_declare_bankruptcy

out of control
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really seems like they've kept people in the dark about this. Most unfortunate since transparency (in my company's experience) typically leads to more engaged and excited customers, even if that means announcing setbacks. Telling your customers "we can't release now because we are having trouble producing x part" or whatever typically gains more sympathy and engagement than announcing a release date, failing to meet it, pushing the deadline, and then remaining silent.

I'm sure they're hustling on their end and, of course, aren't exactly a big company. So reading all these threads, keeping tabs on social media, making good product decisions, and keeping people happy isn't exactly easy. That said I don't believe it's responsible or beneficial for their business AT ALL to keep their customers, who are already VERY bought into the ecosystem, in the dark. It stings for the existing customers and looks very bad for prospective customers (like me) who then question longevity and support of their products.

I'd question the logic of Neptune (if that is indeed the intent (doubt it)) of making such an announcement to set back their competition and then failing seemingly repeatedly to deliver. In my opinion people who are bought into the ecosystem are going to be willing to keep waiting as switching over is not a cheap endeavor -- a captive audience of sorts. If they are focused on customer acquisition then it's a poor move in general; something I think their marketing would be well aware of. If not, yikes.

Just my 2c.

strike2867

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked out their Facebook page. More than half the comments are about when the trident will be released. Not a single reply from Neptune, just all ignored. Strangest thing, it's almost as if Neptune themselves doesn't know, or the answer is just never. But then why would they have stores list it as coming soon on their sites. Looked like it was sitting on their table in the reefapalooza pictures. Would hate to be the guy manning that table and not having an answer to the same question everybody is asking.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knowing what I know now, I would have gone the Profilux 4 / KH Director route when I decided to retire my Apex Classic. instead of the 2016 Apex that I currently own. Consider me one of the ones who are wary about Neptune’s motivations when they announced the Trident at MACNA - NOLA in 2017 and that it’d be ready for Q2 2018.

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knowing what I know now, I would have gone the Profilux 4 / KH Director route when I decided to retire my Apex Classic. instead of the 2016 Apex that I currently own. Consider me one of the ones who are wary about Neptune’s motivations when they announced the Trident at MACNA - NOLA in 2017 and that it’d be ready for Q2 2018.
This is me! One well known online vendor tried to sway me GHL as the 2016 was my first controller.

I checked out their Facebook page. More than half the comments are about when the trident will be released. Not a single reply from Neptune, just all ignored. Strangest thing, it's almost as if Neptune themselves doesn't know, or the answer is just never. But then why would they have stores list it as coming soon on their sites. Looked like it was sitting on their table in the reefapalooza pictures. Would hate to be the guy manning that table and not having an answer to the same question everybody is asking.
I speculate (and it is nothing more than that, I have no more information than anyone else) that it is a major problem. If it was a small understandable delay I think they would read all of these threads and tell us the truth. I would not be totally suprised if we were still posting this thread a year from now at this point.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point I just want an update. I’m good to wait but just tell me for how long.

I can give you an update: Trident will be available by 2030.

I hope you see it’s a joke. Just like Neptune told us Trident would be available early 2018.

Hitch08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, several sites have added that now. I assume that's coming from Neptune, not BRS making things up.

To be clear, I love BRS. Have had numerous great experiences with them. All that I was trying to say was that they John Q. Customer wasn't the only one who believed that something was imminent and moved forward accordingly.

^ This is yet another example. I think too many gave Neptune more credit than they deserved.

Zaireguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder how the possible release of the reefbot will affect things in November if they make the target date

Da Ghost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just read about ReefBot--where have I been--have to admit it looks pretty interesting especially since it will test more than just the holy trinity. cost is a bit more than I would like but seems like it will do a touch more of the tests (liquid) that I perform regularly. I guess now we sit back and wait to see which one is going to sendup under the Christmas tree. :). Stronger possibility I will sit on the side like till both are released and then buy after the reef community has spoken.

strike2867

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at http://www.aquariumextravaganza.com/. I talked with the representatives from Neptune. They replied, somewhat aggressively, the release date is end of this year/beginning of next year. They're currently figuring out the manufacturing process. He said they are tired of answering this same question, so they keep quiet. According to him they've answered at shows and posted videos online, but people just keep asking.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at http://www.aquariumextravaganza.com/. I talked with the representatives from Neptune. They replied, somewhat aggressively, the release date is end of this year/beginning of next year. They're currently figuring out the manufacturing process. He said they are tired of answering this same question, so they keep quiet. According to him they've answered at shows and posted videos online, but people just keep asking.

If they are wise they would have just come out with an Alkalinity monitor and down the road with the unit that test all 3. Give the customer a choice between the 2 options available and call it a day. They could already have the Alkalinity monitor in place and people would have bought it. Now they have vaporware and people are waiting for it's release and complaining about it not being released every chance they get because they are stuck wanting that product. That's when you just either determine to just wait and shut up about it or buy something else.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back