Apex Trident

Hitch08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at http://www.aquariumextravaganza.com/. I talked with the representatives from Neptune. They replied, somewhat aggressively, the release date is end of this year/beginning of next year. They're currently figuring out the manufacturing process. He said they are tired of answering this same question, so they keep quiet. According to him they've answered at shows and posted videos online, but people just keep asking.

Did they say where these videos are posted?

Brandon Wilcox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did they say where these videos are posted?
I’ve seen a lot of YouTubers talk to Neptune reps at some of the shows like MACNA and Reefapalooza. So if you watch a lot of YouTube I’m sure you’ll come across some. Reef Builders just did one at the last MACNA and he specifically pulled one of the Neptune reps aside and asked about the trident.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread has really devolved in quality. Neither you, nor Jamie7907, are adding to the conversation.

Neither of you know what goes into building the details of this device. Which means you haven't the slightest clue how to mass produce it cost effectively. Your speculation isn't helping anybody.

Neptune said late this year, or early next year, which makes it roughly a 4 month window. They're not saying 5 years from now. I say patience and benefit of the doubt.

I'm not remotely surprised Neptune doesn't want to take part in these discussions.

You know when you cry wolf to often, (saying when product ships/sells). People especially potential clients get turned off. With a back ground in sales and marketing it takes more money to win back loss clients or in this case prospects, than winning one and never ever do you mention or promise any prospect or client what you can't deliver. I know for a fact it's going to cost them , more money than they can imagine when this product ever does come on the market. Because of the way this produce is presented/promised. :(

25+ years sales experience, take that to the bank

Brandon Wilcox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know when you cry wolf to often, (saying when product ships/sells). People especially potential clients get turned off. With a back ground in sales and marketing it takes more money to win back loss clients or in this case prospects, than winning one and never ever do you mention or promise any prospect or client what you can't deliver. I know for a fact it's going to cost them , more money than they can imagine when this product ever does come on the market. Because of the way this produce is presented/promised. :(

25+ years sales experience, take that to the bank

Jo Mama I like what you’re throwing down except the cost is built in. Neptune Trident is suppose to be around 500-600$. Alktronic is 900$. Plus, Trident can do all three alk, Ca and Mag while the other only alk. Cost per test is also suppose to be lowest for Trident. So when it comes out, and it’s only a matter of time, it will destroy the competition. Right now alktronic is taking advantage of every client possible by charging so much. The only way alktronic and Reefbot stay competitive after the trident comes out is drop their price lower then the trident. I think you’ll be surprised when the trident comes.i Ithink Neptune will have a very hard time keeping up with demand. People forget things really quick when there’s something “shiny” in front of them.

25+ years opinionated, don’t take it to the bank!!!

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jo Mama I like what you’re throwing down except the cost is built in. Neptune Trident is suppose to be around 500-600$. Alktronic is 900$. Plus, Trident can do all three alk, Ca and Mag while the other only alk. Cost per test is also suppose to be lowest for Trident. So when it comes out, and it’s only a matter of time, it will destroy the competition. Right now alktronic is taking advantage of every client possible by charging so much. The only way alktronic and Reefbot stay competitive after the trident comes out is drop their price lower then the trident. I think you’ll be surprised when the trident comes.i Ithink Neptune will have a very hard time keeping up with demand. People forget things really quick when there’s something “shiny” in front of them.

Thanks for input, what chaps my hind is Neptune should never had even mention when product was ready for market.
Keeps moving date, because of........, like we say "that's not my problem." History of every product that has come on market, with similar marketing of Neptune, has been a disaster. Hate to say. That's 60+ years of marketing history.

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think something people may be missing is the precision of the testing methods. Of all units out trident will be the least precise. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing but there are two totally different testing methods being compared here. Also the Trident will not offer any method of built in control like every other unit out has, only testing. I’m sure users will come up with a way to enable control but bear in mind each DOS will add to the cost if dosing individual elements so the 5-600 price jumps to become more in line with other units on the market. Also for those who utilize a calcium reactor like I do calcium testing isn’t really necessary, nor is magnesium if you run dolemite or similar. Not saying seeing those values won’t be nice, just not necessary. Personally I can’t wait for it to come out just to have a new toy to play with if nothing else. I think once the bugs get ironed out it will be a solid unit.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You think Trident will be available soon? Or at all?

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think something people may be missing is the precision of the testing methods. Of all units out trident will be the least precise. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing but there are two totally different testing methods being compared here. Also the Trident will not offer any method of built in control like every other unit out has, only testing. I’m sure users will come up with a way to enable control but bear in mind each DOS will add to the cost if dosing individual elements so the 5-600 price jumps to become more in line with other units on the market. Also for those who utilize a calcium reactor like I do calcium testing isn’t really necessary, nor is magnesium if you run dolemite or similar. Not saying seeing those values won’t be nice, just not necessary. Personally I can’t wait for it to come out just to have a new toy to play with if nothing else. I think once the bugs get ironed out it will be a solid unit.

Totally agree. I can’t think of a reason to test magnesium every day. Daily calcium testing seems extreme too. Once a tank is stable once or twice a week should be sufficient.

strike2867

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree. I can’t think of a reason to test magnesium every day. Daily calcium testing seems extreme too. Once a tank is stable once or twice a week should be sufficient.

A toast comes to mind. May all our tanks use up so much mg and ca that they require hourly testing.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think Trident will be available soon? Or at all?
I wonder, by the time it comes out, will it be obsolete? By 2020 Moores law will be, every 6 months for new technology to be on the market. Do you really think there's no other manufacturers, from now till 2020, that will come out with a better mouse trap?

I won't say who, but there's colorimeters that test quicker, cheaper, and more perimeters than trident ever will. For less. But here we may be comparing apples to oranges

What's really unfair is all the clients that bought Apex controllers, being told of this new product (trident) coming on the market by this date, so clients are buying apex to prepare for trident and when trident doesn't come out, their apex will be obsolete when it does come online.

So you tell me is the company thinking of their clients or the almighty dollar?

Last edited:

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Price wise, I do not think you can beat right now what the Alkatronic offers for the price. They could easily make a testing only model and cut the cost that way as well. With a CaRx, you rarely will need it to dose anyways. Also running my CaRx, I am finding there is absolutely no need to test calcium/magnesium frequently. It would be a nice-to-have all 3 test, but definitely not a MUST have in my book.

strike2867

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Price wise, I do not think you can beat right now what the Alkatronic offers for the price. They could easily make a testing only model and cut the cost that way as well. With a CaRx, you rarely will need it to dose anyways. Also running my CaRx, I am finding there is absolutely no need to test calcium/magnesium frequently. It would be a nice-to-have all 3 test, but definitely not a MUST have in my book.

Personally I'm hoping once Apex released the Alkatronic will come down in price and have more availability. Then I'll decide between the two. I'll likely go with the Apex since I'm mad about having everything automated.

Brandon Wilcox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the most up to date word from Neptune on what will say about the Trident. Neptune does a live show every other Tuesday now called Let’s Talk Reef, and at 23:33 the host, Terrance Fugazzi head of marketing, discusses the Trident. Very vague but they do talk about it. Says it will soon be in the hands of insiders. At the beginning of the video he encourages reefers to stop by the both and check out the Trident at the trade shows. They also discussed Amazon Alexa voice control among other things. At 45:40 they made a joke about taking a poll from viewers over wanting android widget or wanting the trident. At 45:04 stating that Trident will be able to do a task very soon. Hope it helps. They sound very optimistic.

Zaireguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the video..i really enjoyed it might be a great new series

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back