Apex

Dedicated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m setting up a 180 gallon. Can someone inform me the difference between controllability with the regular apex and the el. Wondering what I can monitor and control with the el. Basically I’d like to monitor calcium, alkalinity, and ph. And was wondering if the el can achieve that. Also does the apex monitor phosphate

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are currently 5 versions of the Apex you can buy new.

• 2016 Apex
    • this is the recently replaced flagship model. It is almost the same as the new A3 except this one has salinity monitoring and the A3 Apex Pro does not but has a fluid monitoring module instead.
  • Apex EL
    • This is the old mid range module. It lacks the salinity monitoring of the 2016 Apex as well as the 0-10v ports and ORP probe but is otherwise the same.
  • A3 Apex
    • This is the new base model The same as the flagship minus the 0-10v ports ORP probe, and extra FMM ports
  • A3 Apex Pro
    • This is the new flagship model no slainity monitoring but an advanced level sensor, leak sensor, and ORP probe.
  • A3 Apex Jr.
    • This is the cheapest option and it is the only unit that does not include a power strip or ethernet port. It has temperature, pH ,leak, and level sensors but no ability to turn equipment on or off.
Currently, there is no way to monitor Phosphate with the APEX. None of the base units can measure calcium alkalinity or magnesium on their own but all of them can when you add a trident which is an additional add on you will need to purchase if this is important to you.

Based on what you have said you are looking for the cheapest way to get the functionality would be to get an A3 Apex Jr plus a trident.

I would strongly recommend you step up to either the Apex EL or A3 Apex as these will give you a power strip so you can turn things on and off like malfunctioning heaters, faulty dosing pumps, or pumps that are running dry. This is the most important part of a controller IMO.

Admonition

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also worth noting in addition to Montiman's information, the 2016 Apex doesn't allow you to calibrate the probes or update the modules' firmware within APEX Fusion- you have to use the classic dashboard via its IP address. Not a huge inconvenience, but still a thing. Also, my understanding from my LFS is some newer items like the Trident do not work with the 2016 'classic' version.

OP
OP
Dedicated Reefer

Dedicated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are currently 5 versions of the Apex you can buy new.

• 2016 Apex
    • this is the recently replaced flagship model. It is almost the same as the new A3 except this one has salinity monitoring and the A3 Apex Pro does not but has a fluid monitoring module instead.
  • Apex EL
    • This is the old mid range module. It lacks the salinity monitoring of the 2016 Apex as well as the 0-10v ports and ORP probe but is otherwise the same.
  • A3 Apex
    • This is the new base model The same as the flagship minus the 0-10v ports ORP probe, and extra FMM ports
  • A3 Apex Pro
    • This is the new flagship model no slainity monitoring but an advanced level sensor, leak sensor, and ORP probe.
  • A3 Apex Jr.
    • This is the cheapest option and it is the only unit that does not include a power strip or ethernet port. It has temperature, pH ,leak, and level sensors but no ability to turn equipment on or off.
Currently, there is no way to monitor Phosphate with the APEX. None of the base units can measure calcium alkalinity or magnesium on their own but all of them can when you add a trident which is an additional add on you will need to purchase if this is important to you.

Based on what you have said you are looking for the cheapest way to get the functionality would be to get an A3 Apex Jr plus a trident.

I would strongly recommend you step up to either the Apex EL or A3 Apex as these will give you a power strip so you can turn things on and off like malfunctioning heaters, faulty dosing pumps, or pumps that are running dry. This is the most important part of a controller IMO.
Thank you for your detailed and fast response. I’ve been in the hobby for four years and I am just starting to have some success. And have been contemplating purchasing an apex for a while and just wanted a little clarification. Thanks

OP
OP
Dedicated Reefer

Dedicated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also worth noting in addition to Montiman's information, the 2016 Apex doesn't allow you to calibrate the probes or update the modules' firmware within APEX Fusion- you have to use the classic dashboard via its IP address. Not a huge inconvenience, but still a thing. Also, my understanding from my LFS is some newer items like the Trident do not work with the 2016 'classic' version.
Is the orp a controller or monitor?

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All current items work with 2016 but many don' work with the classic. Classic was pre 2016 so you can't get them new and I honestly would skip them at this point. I think the EL / Apex A3 non pro are the right fit for most reefers.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the orp a controller or monitor?
Any apex that has an ORP probe can turn equipment on and off based on the probe readings provided there is a power strip included. Curently the only unit without a power strip is the Apex Jr.

Admonition

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All current items work with 2016 but many don' work with the classic. Classic was pre 2016 so you can't get them new and I honestly would skip them at this point. I think the EL / Apex A3 non pro are the right fit for most reefers.

My mistake then, I must have confused Classic with the 2016 model (I thought them the same) as I still have my trusty A1. And yeah,
I agree on your recommendation of the EL or A3

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 93 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back