Aquamaxx 1.5 HOB SKIMMER not producing max bubbles

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my skimmer for two months and I put it on a different tank tonight and noticed only about half of the cones are producing bubbles. Can I fix this by cleaning the cones? Any help will be appreciated.
B335EDB2-347E-49F5-B146-7D13DF380F93.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi have you tried unplugging and plugging in a few times,seems like impeller or not primed??

OP
OP
PacoPetty

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked for salt creep and there was none. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it is still not functioning properly so I guess I need to find some citric acid and give it a bath. It is less than two months old so I am surprised that it already needs a bath.

OP
OP
PacoPetty

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m headed out to check Walmart for the citric acid. If they do not have it I guess I will check rural King or tractor supply. What is the ratio I need to mix it out to get a good cleaning solution? Do you mix it with RODI water?

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m headed out to check Walmart for the citric acid. If they do not have it I guess I will check rural King or tractor supply. What is the ratio I need to mix it out to get a good cleaning solution? Do you mix it with RODI water?
I used 2 ounces for every quart of rodi water. I got millards citric acid from amazon. It is unusual for the skimmer to acting up this soon for sure.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,only two months old i would contact aquamaxx :)

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquamaxx CS will ask that you disassemble the pump and inspect the needle wheel impeller for damage or debris. Ensure the impeller assembly is correct and nothing wrong with the impeller. Check the air line for blockage. You can pour some hot RODI down the airline to flush it out. Same with the air chamber... Clean out any salt that has accumulated.
I'd also check the nipple where the air hose attaches to the pump. If there is a blockage there,it would also limit airflow into the skimmer.

OP
OP
PacoPetty

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquamaxx CS will ask that you disassemble the pump and inspect the needle wheel impeller for damage or debris. Ensure the impeller assembly is correct and nothing wrong with the impeller. Check the air line for blockage. You can pour some hot RODI down the airline to flush it out. Same with the air chamber... Clean out any salt that has accumulated.
I'd also check the nipple where the air hose attaches to the pump. If there is a blockage there,it would also limit airflow into the skimmer.
I have done all of that and it is currently soaking in a white vinegar bath. I am running it for about a half an hour and the top of the water is already covered in a greenish brown foam. I will turn it off in a few minutes and let it soak overnight.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 35 36.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 31 32.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back