Aquamaxx 1.5 HOB SKIMMER not producing max bubbles

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take a drill bit and ream out the hole on the pump where the yellow air line attaches every few months when I deep clean mine, you don’t need a drill just hand pressure to spin the bit and clear the blockage. It gets clogged up and doesn’t let enough air in. Hot water won’t clear it, vinegar or citric acid probably will overnight, but this only takes a few seconds.

rob taft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have owned this skimmer for about 8 months and have cleaned it several times. In my case the problem has either been related to a bit of algae fouling the impeller and slowing down the pump or a build up of detritus in the nozzles or on the surface of the magnetic portion of the impeller. I clean it about every 2-3 months by taking it completely apart and cleaning every part. I also bought a replacement impeller so if I'm in a hurry, I just swap the impeller and clean the other one later.

OP
OP
PacoPetty

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take a drill bit and ream out the hole on the pump where the yellow air line attaches every few months when I deep clean mine, you don’t need a drill just hand pressure to spin the bit and clear the blockage. It gets clogged up and doesn’t let enough air in. Hot water won’t clear it, vinegar or citric acid probably will overnight, but this only takes a few seconds.
Thank you for the tip! I had not thought about doing that.

OP
OP
PacoPetty

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have owned this skimmer for about 8 months and have cleaned it several times. In my case the problem has either been related to a bit of algae fouling the impeller and slowing down the pump or a build up of detritus in the nozzles or on the surface of the magnetic portion of the impeller. I clean it about every 2-3 months by taking it completely apart and cleaning every part. I also bought a replacement impeller so if I'm in a hurry, I just swap the impeller and clean the other one later.
That is a smart thing to do! Where did you buy your spare impeller?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
is this only 2 mo old,contact them for replacement??

OP
OP
PacoPetty

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working like a charm after a good cleaning and vinegar soak!
2909AB65-71C9-40E5-BF3E-481F30DAAEE6.jpeg
50FD756E-52BF-4648-9E51-3FCFF61F8A35.jpeg

rob taft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a smart thing to do! Where did you buy your spare impeller?

Sorry, I didn't see your question. But like the other poster I purchased it from Marine Depot. I've never had to use vinegar on this unit. I just take it completely apart and use a series of bottle and test tube brushes. I had a huge GHA outbreak a few months ago and I had to dissemble this unit about every two weeks as algae fouled the impeller so I became adept at taking it apart.
I did glue the threaded nylon 90 degree fitting to the air hose as the threaded connection to the pump is weak. Watch out for those small spacer/washer that sit on the impeller shaft. Easy to loose or go down the drain.

OP
OP
PacoPetty

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I didn't see your question. But like the other poster I purchased it from Marine Depot. I've never had to use vinegar on this unit. I just take it completely apart and use a series of bottle and test tube brushes. I had a huge GHA outbreak a few months ago and I had to dissemble this unit about every two weeks as algae fouled the impeller so I became adept at taking it apart.
I did glue the threaded nylon 90 degree fitting to the air hose as the threaded connection to the pump is weak. Watch out for those small spacer/washer that sit on the impeller shaft. Easy to loose or go down the drain.
Thank you for the tip! I’m pretty sure a green hair algae was the culprit and clogging up mine also.

OP
OP
PacoPetty

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got up this morning and the skim mate cup was about 1/3 full of blackish green gunk so it is working!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back