OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I finally finished the fixture and installed the last bulb clip. I lost one and I tried something different with the replacement. Word is @AquaticLifeProducts is going to probably stop coating the clips with the plastikote
so I gave shrink tubing a try, I had some on hand and we'll see how it goes. The plastikote came away very easily and I can see it become especially easy if it's hot from running, so you may want to let it cool before changing bulbs.
20180208_170115.jpg 20180208_170311.jpg

20180206_192105.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update , this is bank 1 b+ & actinic and kessil on full blue

20180219_205628.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is bank 2 c+ & b+ and kessils on full blue
1519091416511.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread took a few turns and its finally done........for now
breakoutbox.jpg

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@coseal changing out a PS on some automation yesterday and grabbed this one. I see in another thread you having a circuit ran for your tank what's your plan? 30+ years electrician although we do have the master master here. On a more important note HOW'S your bild coming along?
20180317_071645.jpg

coseal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the power supply goes in that acrylic enclosure? tanks coming along....headed to lowes in a bit to grab some glue to finish the plumbing today hopefully. on the electric front there is a luandry room on the other side of the wall i may tap off of that circuit. still unsure though..

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually the supply is for a sealer dispensing Robot its a multi output 5/12/24 dc. and the Lexan tube is a Part counter I came up with for plastic caps to be sure they don't end up in someone's Diesel engine:eek:
not sure your setup but my laundry shares a circuit with my garage, being next to it, so be careful with noise or loads (compressor) if a controller may be used. Shoot you build machines! you can handle running a new one if needed.
Ha! listen to me, I use an available outlet! and only draw less than 4 amps. It aint problem unless you know it is.

coseal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea, i have sat down an added all the equipment up and am really tempted to just use the outlet thats already there. only thing that is worrying me is the chiller. i know for a fact that its 12-2 in the wall. but there is a 15a breaker in the box. so another route i was thinking was to up the breaker to a 20a. my only hang up with the whole new circuit is the ceiling downstairs is finished and it looks like a huge PITA to get the wire from point A to B. patching that stuff up is really not a project i want on my list this spring.

RobSpeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fasteners came in, I wired and assembled last night. The #4-40 x 1.5" worked nice without having to tap the extrusion.
20180111_193635.jpg
20180111_195512.jpg
The Paint is a good look. I even thought about painting the fixtures
Out of curiosity why didnt you counter sink the holes? i know the metal could have been too thin. but would have looked nicer if they were flush and painted black no?

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity why didnt you counter sink the holes? i know the metal could have been too thin. but would have looked nicer if they were flush and painted black no?
Your right black flat heads would be the way to go but to be honest i was not sure what size i would need when i machined at work.

RobSpeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your right black flat heads would be the way to go but to be honest i was not sure what size i would need when i machined at work.

true, could always counter sink it and put a long spacer behind it that is thicker material. this way even if the counter sunk metal is fairly thin, the spacer between the metal, if possible to place, could prevent the screw from pulling through the metal. just a thought. i was a aviation mech that worked with metal. and like yourself i like things to look as clean as possible and this is a very clean mod, just the little things make a difference in appearance.

Dizzzy1209

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I finally finished the fixture and installed the last bulb clip. I lost one and I tried something different with the replacement. Word is @AquaticLifeProducts is going to probably stop coating the clips with the plastikote
so I gave shrink tubing a try, I had some on hand and we'll see how it goes. The plastikote came away very easily and I can see it become especially easy if it's hot from running, so you may want to let it cool before changing bulbs.
20180208_170115.jpg 20180208_170311.jpg

20180206_192105.jpg
How did you make the arms for the fixture? Can you pm me details please.

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dave @AquaticLifeProducts are you offering the mounting clamps on your web site or in your parts department?

ilyad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For whats its worth, I was looking at this fixture very extensively for my build I am currently planning and was quite excited about the prospect. However, after some extensive research, there are a few things that turned me off from ultimately getting the fixture: 1. two sets of cables, running that with two LED fixtures, that would be a total of 4 cables that will have to find their way from above the tank down to the bottom for power plugs, that's not very appealing. 2. the fact that the cables are on opposite sides of the fixture and therefore different length once down near the plug, again not appealing. 3. Not having a designated arm mount that I can mount to the aquarium (or stand) with wire runs.

After doing additional research and figuring out what I would have to DIY to make it look neat with all the wires and mounts, I've decided to instead go with constructing a floating canopy/mount and installing the LED fixtures and a T5 retro kit inside. Keep in mind, that I am unable to mount anything to the ceiling or walls, and wanted to have no visible wires as this is going to be a very minimal looking tank.

That being said, if this fixture had a single power cable, a nice mounting arm and a good wire management system, I would have bought it without any hesitation. I would probably be willing to pay more as well for the same. Now, I do have to give credit where its due... this is one of the first of its kind and I understand that it takes time to prefect the design, accessories, and settle on features that appease the most amount of people. Im glad to see that Dave @AquaticLifeProducts is working and perfecting the design. I am hopeful that as they continue to grow and experiment, they'll address a lot of the personal issues I had, and who knows, maybe later I'll take down my floating canopy and put on this hybrid fixture.

PS. Since this fixture in my opinion is designed to supplement LED's I dont think that the bulbs need to be dimmable or have any moonlights. My 2 radions are fully capable of doing all of that. What I am looking for is a clean way to add T5 for shading and spectrum a few hours a day.

PPS. I think your office/support center is just a few blocks from my house!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back