Aqueon Tanks

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I continue to work on my tank upgrade, I came across the Aqueon 120 wide. Growing up in Wisconsin, All Glass Aquariums was the most popular brand around. Now that they are Aqueon, I'm wondering if the quality is still there.
I was going to buy the Reef Ready version (with the MEGAFLOW), but another reefer said to purchase the standard version of that tank. Then drill the back panel and install a ghost (or similar) overflow. I hadn't even thought of that! He said it would save about half the cost!

SO my question is: Aqueon yes or no? Has anyone drilled their tanks? I know the bottom panel is tempered, but I assume the side panels are not. Any help would be appreciated!

Straasha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is hit or miss if the side panels are tempered. I recently bought an Aqueon 55 gallon and tried to drill it. Find out the hard way it was tempered. I then looked at a few more Aqueon as well as Marineland at LFSs and they were all tempered. I ended up ordering a Seapora non-tempered, drill it, and it is working perfectly. The Seapora glass is 5/16 versus 1/4 in the Aqueon. The plastic trim pieces are heavier duty as well. I am glad I went with Seapora over Aqueon.

Last edited:

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just watched a YouTube video of someone drilling an aqueon tank and it was tempered on the sides (front, back, etc.) It shattered. I was going to purchase one for the dollar a gallon sale at Petco, but the tag on the bottom of the tank very clearly indicates not to drill it

OP
OP
T-J

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just watched a YouTube video of someone drilling an aqueon tank and it was tempered on the sides (front, back, etc.) It shattered. I was going to purchase one for the dollar a gallon sale at Petco, but the tag on the bottom of the tank very clearly indicates not to drill it
Kinda confirms something that I saw about them using whatever glass was available at the time for the side panels (tempered vs annealed).

GreatSouth BayReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a aqueon 65 gal reef ready, it is MUCH better then the marineland i had. Unfortunately i COULD NOT find a NON tempered aquarium. I asked 4 different LFS near me and none of them could get me a non tempered glass aquarium so be very carful and triple check to make sure the sides arent tempered or youll shatter the glass. My aqueon tank is much better then the marineland i had. Aqueon tank is holding up very well.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have drilled dozens of Aqueon tanks the last few years and far more than that over the years. Matter of fact I have done two this week. I do not think I have ever had a side wall tempered on a Aqueon.
They have a list on their site on which panels are tempered or not. If you do not know you can call them too.
I have also never in my life had one leak or fail, knock on wood.

I have heard the Petco dollar per gallon sales sometimes those thanks are different but personally after drilling dozens of them none have been different for me. I am drilling another two next week form there sale.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T-J

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have drilled dozens of Aqueon tanks the last few years and far more than that over the years. Matter of fact I have done two this week. I do not think I have ever had a side wall tempered on a Aqueon.
They have a list on their site on which panels are tempered or not. If you do not know you can call them too.
I have also never in my life had one leak or fail, knock on wood.

I saw that document last night. It only says if the bottom is tempered. I have an email in to Aqueon. I'll post their reply.

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 125 is not drilled, I prefer the old school methods. But I really like the quality of the aqueon tanks

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tag on the bottom says do not drill, assume all sides are tempered.
I just bought a 75G Aqueon with a sticker that said "Do not drill enclosure" on the bottom. Did the test (linked above) and drilled the end no problem. Testing looked like bottom was definitely tempered, but sides were not. FWIW

Straasha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a 75G Aqueon with a sticker that said "Do not drill enclosure" on the bottom. Did the test (linked above) and drilled the end no problem. Testing looked like bottom was definitely tempered, but sides were not. FWIW
So, as you can see, nothing is consistent with Aqueon. You have to test it each time.

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best guide on testing for temper was actually to just take a light behind the tank panel and then tilted by head left to right with polarized lenses on. You can easily see the stress lines/striations that are created when glass is tempered. The whole blackout/no blackout was a little sketchy for me. It's possible I just didn't well understand the directions in the linked video. I would be stunned if the bottom of anything 55 or larger wasn't tempered - so I used that as my presumptive positive test and then worked to test the sides. Once you get the striations to show up on the bottom, it's much easier to confirm if the sides are tempered or not. Then you can go from there. HTH

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So, as you can see, nothing is consistent with Aqueon. You have to test it each time.

I do not get it.. Seems consistent, bottom is tempered and sides were not. He drilled the end which to me means the side unless I am understanding him wrong.

Also exactly what the link says.

They will put a sticker on the bottom is you can not drill the bottom.

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've drilled quiet a few Aqueon tanks (did a 40B this week). Never had one with tempered sides. I have heard that they do temper the bottoms, depending on the size. I was once told back when they were all glass, that the 55 was the only tank that they tempered all the panels. But that was quiet awhile ago...

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out this PDF. This is directly off Aqueon's website. It gives the dimensions of their tanks and even had a column telling whether the BOTTOM is tempered or not...

Attachments

• CriticalDimensions-pdf (8).pdf
    31.2 KB · Views: 330

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I continue to work on my tank upgrade, I came across the Aqueon 120 wide. Growing up in Wisconsin, All Glass Aquariums was the most popular brand around. Now that they are Aqueon, I'm wondering if the quality is still there.
I was going to buy the Reef Ready version (with the MEGAFLOW), but another reefer said to purchase the standard version of that tank. Then drill the back panel and install a ghost (or similar) overflow. I hadn't even thought of that! He said it would save about half the cost!

SO my question is: Aqueon yes or no? Has anyone drilled their tanks? I know the bottom panel is tempered, but I assume the side panels are not. Any help would be appreciated!
My 65gal tank is actually an all glass aquarium, still has the tag on the front panel and still holds water like it should

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 61 32.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back