Are ClearWater Algae Scrubbers being being discontinued??

anthonymckay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've was trying to buy a Clearwater cw-100 V2 last week, and noticed they aren't available from any online vendors. Went back onto BRS today to see if they were back in stock, and noticed they didn't even have the CW-100 or CW-50 listed anymore. Contacted their support to ask about it and they responded that BRS will no longer be selling ClearWater scrubbers anymore. All the other retailers I checked have them listed as out of stock as well. Anyone know what's going on? Are they discontinuing these or something?

1708972034403.png

OP
OP
anthonymckay

anthonymckay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add to this, I just noticed that while SaltwaterAquariums.com lists them as "Out of Stock" on their website, they in fact have 1 listed on ebay which seems like an effort to clear out their remaining stock? While I'd like to grab this, it makes me a bit hesitant as I've read of some people having the LED lights stop working, and only being able to get them replaced from clearwater themselves.

OP
OP
anthonymckay

anthonymckay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, a bit more online sleuthing and I discovered an announcement on their Facebook page. ClearWater sold off the consumer branch of production to Adaptive Reef and will no longer be manufacturing consumer filtration products to solely focus on commercial filtration applications.

Adaptive Reef's Facebook page mentions this and that they'll be launching the "Adaptive Reef Algae Scrubber". No indication if that means they'll just start manufacturing the existing design of the CW V2 but now labeled with Adaptive Reef, or if they'll be altering that design. Also no indication of when these will launch.

KC2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"The introduction of the AdaptiveReef algae scrubber, seamlessly integrated into our Enthusiast-grade filtration line..."

So it looks like they bought the product line and took over support.

Something about the terminology 'Enthusias-grade' tells me the price isn't going down.

OP
OP
anthonymckay

anthonymckay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got confirmation from the owner of ClearWater Scrubber, Josh Johnson, that Apdative Reef will in fact continue manufacturing the same V2 design previously being sold but now with Adaptive Reef branding!

stephanjupillat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just fyi, the ballasts had a part that takes 10 minutes to remove, then they work again. They shipped me replacements anyway but told me how to fix the ones I had. Apparently whoever made the lights added a part they weren’t soppose to.

I actually need to add another scrubber. knew I should have bought the biggest one, so now on the hunt.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just fyi, the ballasts had a part that takes 10 minutes to remove, then they work again. They shipped me replacements anyway but told me how to fix the ones I had. Apparently whoever made the lights added a part they weren’t soppose to.

I actually need to add another scrubber. knew I should have bought the biggest one, so now on the hunt.

Two scrubbers are more advantageous than one large one. I can help you find a suitable model if you pm me some details

BaliSurferDude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two scrubbers are more advantageous than one large one. I can help you find a suitable model if you pm me some details
Hey, VintageReefer! I wanted to send you a PM and hear what models of algae scrubbers you would reccommend for a 25G mixed reef system, with goniopora, RBTAs, and sun corals that require quite a bit of feeding. Equivalent to 2-3 cubes of frozen mysis daily. Plenty of room in the sump. Only a filter sock and a carbon reactor there now.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, VintageReefer! I wanted to send you a PM and hear what models of algae scrubbers you would reccommend for a 25G mixed reef system, with goniopora, RBTAs, and sun corals that require quite a bit of feeding. Equivalent to 2-3 cubes of frozen mysis daily. Plenty of room in the sump. Only a filter sock and a carbon reactor there now.

That’s a lot of feeding for a 25g!

A surf 2 is a proven unit and can handle 2 cubes a day, I question suggesting a larger unit due to the smaller volume of water. I would use the surf 2, I have used it in the past with 9 fish requiring 2 cubes a day plus some flake or pellet snacks randomly. You can always add a second surf, or a smaller unit down the line

What is your phosphate measuring currently with this amount of food?

BaliSurferDude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a lot of feeding for a 25g!

A surf 2 is a proven unit and can handle 2 cubes a day, I question suggesting a larger unit due to the smaller volume of water. I would use the surf 2, I have used it in the past with 9 fish requiring 2 cubes a day plus some flake or pellet snacks randomly. You can always add a second surf, or a smaller unit down the line

What is your phosphate measuring currently with this amount of food?
I would like to go for a waterfallstyle scrubber, to avoid the extra noise from an air pump.
The phosphate currently stays at a steady 0.1-0.2 ppm, although we have noticed a recent slight uptick in the growth of green hair algae. 10% WC once a week.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The air pump ones are actually quieter if you get a decent air pump

My whole setup is completely silent.

I also have an upflow scrubber on my 15g Waterbox and that’s silent also

Wayofthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add to this, I just noticed that while SaltwaterAquariums.com lists them as "Out of Stock" on their website, they in fact have 1 listed on ebay which seems like an effort to clear out their remaining stock? While I'd like to grab this, it makes me a bit hesitant as I've read of some people having the LED lights stop working, and only being able to get them replaced from clearwater themselves.
So I purchased this super overly priced scrubber late last year and within 3 weeks one light went out and the other started flickering. I got in touch with BRS and they got me in contact with their warranty department. The warranty department said that they were having issues with the lights but had a replacement that was good and they sent it to me very quickly. Now if this was a very common issue it could have led to their demise but I haven't had any trouble since then. Ironically enough I got on to Temu and found the same exact light for like $9. So whether they were kind of a scandalous company to begin with I don't know but when I held that thing in my hand and looked at it it sure didn't feel worth $800, but it's doing the job. If I'm being honest you should be grateful not to have to deal with that and look into a different brand

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last few posts I’m talking anout Santa Monica scrubbers, they have been around since 2008 and have many patents and original designs for scrubbers.

The company is solid.

I’m an original supporter/purchaser from 2013. I bought the surf 2 from their website directly around July 2013 approximately, and had an early run that had a sealing issue. It developed a leak and it was replaced under warranty for free in December 2013.

That unit ran flawlessly every single day, 18 hours a day until I had a bad storm in July 2023. After the storm my leds would not illuminate. And the power supply’s green light was dim.

I contacted Santa Monica and they explained my power supply is damaged from a power surge and it’s very likely the leds are fine and I only need a power supply. But for my older model, it gets directly attached to the internal components and sealed with silicone and over the years they revised the power supply to be more like a laptop style with a barrel connector. If I had the new style, I would just need a 20$ Power supply but instead I need a whole new lid and led and power supply combo, which they stopped making years ago.

So what did they do for me? They offered to give me a complete replacement led lid, with the new style power supply that’s replaceable, for 50% off.

That’s right. 9 years out of warranty. A failure that’s not their fault. And they hooked me up with a 50% discount to not just replace my parts, but to upgrade me to the new style, so if this ever happens again, I can just buy a power supply. plus, factor that my leds all had 10 years of use and I get to get a brand new lid with brand new leds. 85$ was the cost with the discount to get the new lid and power supply and I was more than happy with the offer they gave me and customer service they provided. They didn’t have to do anything but they went above and beyond to help and were not greedy about it at all. A frickin Plus in my book

BaliSurferDude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last few posts I’m talking anout Santa Monica scrubbers, they have been around since 2008 and have many patents and original designs for scrubbers.

The company is solid.

I’m an original supporter/purchaser from 2013. I bought the surf 2 from their website directly around July 2013 approximately, and had an early run that had a sealing issue. It developed a leak and it was replaced under warranty for free in December 2013.

That unit ran flawlessly every single day, 18 hours a day until I had a bad storm in July 2023. After the storm my leds would not illuminate. And the power supply’s green light was dim.

I contacted Santa Monica and they explained my power supply is damaged from a power surge and it’s very likely the leds are fine and I only need a power supply. But for my older model, it gets directly attached to the internal components and sealed with silicone and over the years they revised the power supply to be more like a laptop style with a barrel connector. If I had the new style, I would just need a 20$ Power supply but instead I need a whole new lid and led and power supply combo, which they stopped making years ago.

So what did they do for me? They offered to give me a complete replacement led lid, with the new style power supply that’s replaceable, for 50% off.

That’s right. 9 years out of warranty. A failure that’s not their fault. And they hooked me up with a 50% discount to not just replace my parts, but to upgrade me to the new style, so if this ever happens again, I can just buy a power supply. plus, factor that my leds all had 10 years of use and I get to get a brand new lid with brand new leds. 85$ was the cost with the discount to get the new lid and power supply and I was more than happy with the offer they gave me and customer service they provided. They didn’t have to do anything but they went above and beyond to help and were not greedy about it at all. A frickin Plus in my book
That reminds me. I bought a HOG2 from Santa Monica Scrubbers in 2016. The LEDs were flickering when I tried it in 2022. Hadn´t used it since 2017. Messaged Santa Monica about it and was advised to dry the power supply and try again. Then I got lost in work. I guess that I will be ordering a new power supply.

Wayofthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So straight blue to red and brown to white? They replaced those lights for me but I still have them. They turn on for a while but then start flickering. Does this make them run on 12v?

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 9 11.3%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 32 40.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back