Are Jeabo pumps junk?

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about trying a Jebao pump, but I have a hard time believing they are quality for the price. What are your experiences?

If they are junk and don't last, how do they fail? I can possibly deal with a pump not starting, but I can't deal with a cracked housing shorting out in the water. When they fail, do they show symptoms or just stop working. I am planning on using one on a UV sterilizer and one on my reactors. If the UV pump fails and I don't notice it, it can cause the UV to overheat causing damage so that is not desirable.

How long do they last? When you buy an Eheim, you buy it for life. What are the expectations with these?

Can I use 1/2" tubing with these?

http://www.fish-street.com/jebao_dct3000_water_return_pump
http://www.fish-street.com/jebao_dcs2000_return_pump?search_string=dcs+2000

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its best to not get into the trap with them...In 2 years, a good portion just stop working. I've had 3 total in 3 years. 2 are dead and the third just randomly stops.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep up maintenance and they'll run forever. I have a DC3000 that I've had for 4 yrs., still strong as new and they're very quiet.
What do you do for maintenance? Just clean the impeller?
Its best to not get into the trap with them...In 2 years, a good portion just stop working. I've had 3 total in 3 years. 2 are dead and the third just randomly stops.
Do you recommend an alternative?
I got all jebao. Pp-15s and dc6000. 0 problems I've had them for a year and haven't even cleaned them.
Like I said, I buy things to last for years, not one year at a time. @Salty1962 says he has had one for 4 years. That's a good start.

Also, do they remember their settings if there is a power outage or do they return full blast.

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love these pumps! I use these for a return, wave makers, my skimmer pump. All with zero issues.

And here's my thoughts:

Take the new reef octopus varios pumps, awesome product, built to last, not Chinese etc etc. But I can buy almost 4 pumps for the price of one of them if I go the jebao route. So if one fails in a year... which hasn't happened to me yet, I can toss in a spare... or drop a car payment on an ecotech or reef octopus. It's just a no brainer for me.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW they are Chinese pumps.

I love these pumps! I use these for a return, wave makers, my skimmer pump. All with zero issues.

And here's my thoughts:

Take the new reef octopus varios pumps, awesome product, built to last, not Chinese etc etc. But I can buy almost 4 pumps for the price of one of them if I go the jebao route. So if one fails in a year... which hasn't happened to me yet, I can toss in a spare... or drop a car payment on an ecotech or reef octopus. It's just a no brainer for me.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW they are Chinese pumps.
And?????

I agree that a lot of stuff from China is low quality, but if we start discrediting everything that is made in China than pretty much nothing in your life will be up to your standards.

I love Eheim pumps, but I have to believe that some components are sourced from Asia! I work for Audi (German made), but I am sure that the components are sourced from all over the world!

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ended up buying a DCS-3000 for my reactors. I'll give it a try.

Now, do I plug it into my powerstrip and use the pump's controller to turn it on and off or plug it into my Apex and use Fusion to turn the outlet on and off.

That is why I asked "Does the controller remember the last setting after a power outage or does it default to 100%?"

FranklinDattein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a couple small issues with Jecod pumps, including:
- Controllers short circuit.
- Cracked power supply.
- Broken suction cup connectors.

Yet, I still think it is the best bang for the buck and I don't mind these issues, at all. I just keep a spare.

I have 2x RW-8 running for 2y and a WP-25 running for more than 4 years.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- Cracked power supply.

Yet, I still think it is the best bang for the buck and I don't mind these issues, at all. I just keep a spare.

Still, no one has answered my question. Does the pump ever short out in the water?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ended up buying a DCS-3000 for my reactors. I'll give it a try.

Now, do I plug it into my powerstrip and use the pump's controller to turn it on and off or plug it into my Apex and use Fusion to turn the outlet on and off.

That is why I asked "Does the controller remember the last setting after a power outage or does it default to 100%?"
Have mine plugged into the apex,

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had, 2 wp25, 2 pp8, dct 12000, dct3000. One wp25 died at around 4yr, it quit rotating the impeller.
I have had no cracked housing.
The dct12000 I sold after downsizing tank, everything else is currently running
When I have had power outages, or flipped the switch on the outlet, they remember the programming.

Last edited:

FranklinDattein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still, no one has answered my question. Does the pump ever short out in the water?

I never had a short in the water nor stray voltage coming from the pumps.
Even if you crack the cable accidentally, the pumps are low voltage (12-24V) so there is no risk of getting electrocuted.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You completely misinterpreted my post.
He said RO are not Chinese! And I said they are.
I did not discredit anything.

And?????

I agree that a lot of stuff from China is low quality, but if we start discrediting everything that is made in China than pretty much nothing in your life will be up to your standards.

I love Eheim pumps, but I have to believe that some components are sourced from Asia! I work for Audi (German made), but I am sure that the components are sourced from all over the world!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You completely misinterpreted my post.
He said RO are not Chinese! And I said they are.
I did not discredit anything.
Perhaps I did, I thought you were saying not to buy Jeabo because they are Chinese, which I am fully aware of.

My skimmer is a RO Diablo 200 which I have had for 4 years. No issues there, so if the quality of the Jeabo is like that we don't have a problem.

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- Cracked power supply.

I'd be curious to know how the power supply got cracked, you must be like Bruce banner or something lol

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back