Are Jeabo pumps junk?

FranklinDattein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be curious to know how the power supply got cracked, you must be like Bruce banner or something lol

Power strip attached to the wall, with The jecas power supply perpendicular to it, in such a way that the male pins had to support the full weight of the power supply, for a couple of years.
I was abusing it, but I have many other in the same position, with no problem.

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Power strip attached to the wall, with The jecas power supply perpendicular to it, in such a way that the male pins had to support the full weight of the power supply, for a couple of years.
I was abusing it, but I have many other in the same position, with no problem.

Ahh I see, said the blind man. Lol

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And?????

I agree that a lot of stuff from China is low quality, but if we start discrediting everything that is made in China than pretty much nothing in your life will be up to your standards.

I love Eheim pumps, but I have to believe that some components are sourced from Asia! I work for Audi (German made), but I am sure that the components are sourced from all over the world!

Depends are what you're willing to pay. China is capable of producing some real high quality. It's just, a lot of us like buying cheap stuff.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using a jebao 9000 on my lifereef skimmer for maybe 6 months now. No complaints other than one or two times it hasn't started back up without me manually spinning the blade first. I personally wouldn't trust one as a return, but I would barely trust any reputable D.C. pump as a return.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still haven't heard what kind of maintenance these require.

Is it just cleaning the impeller from time to time?

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mix of Jaebo and Tunze.

Tunze has better build quality, although I still have some issues with grills. I have Tunze's that have been in service over 10 years, and haven't had 1 die yet.

Jeabo seems to be more efficient, moves more water per watt and per pump. Build quality, durability and lifespan are reasonable. They seem to work better when neglected than the Tunze's. They are louder.

So if cost were the same, you could make the case either way. For me it would be the lower maintenance of the Jaebo vs the quieter Tunzes. But cost isn't the same.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mix of Jaebo and Tunze.

Tunze has better build quality, although I still have some issues with grills. I have Tunze's that have been in service over 10 years, and haven't had 1 die yet.

Jeabo seems to be more efficient, moves more water per watt and per pump. Build quality, durability and lifespan are reasonable. They seem to work better when neglected than the Tunze's. They are louder.

So if cost were the same, you could make the case either way. For me it would be the lower maintenance of the Jaebo vs the quieter Tunzes. But cost isn't the same.
Space is also a consideration at this point too. I have a Eheim 1250 that isn't moving enough water. I can't fit a bigger pump in that location. The Jeabo pumps are tiny.

Is there a warranty on the Jeabo pumps?

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Space is also a consideration at this point too. I have a Eheim 1250 that isn't moving enough water. I can't fit a bigger pump in that location. The Jeabo pumps are tiny.

Is there a warranty on the Jeabo pumps?

Yes, buy them through reefbreeders.

runzwithscissors

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still, no one has answered my question. Does the pump ever short out in the water?
I personally have never had one short out. I have had many heaters take a dump and reminded me to install a grounding probe. I've had many jeabo products and learned quickly that keeping them clean will extend their lifetime without the shorts

brad908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its best to not get into the trap with them...In 2 years, a good portion just stop working. I've had 3 total in 3 years. 2 are dead and the third just randomly stops.

According to this statement then, only thing different between Jeabao and Vortech is the cost.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH fun. another Jebao pump thread! I abuse my pumps. Sort of. in the past 6 years or more, I have used their pumps with success. I purchased a pair of original WP40s. original controllers, and also their dual controller when they were first released. the lasted me 4 years before one decided it was done. i still use the 2nd for mixing water in a bucket. I replaced these with WP25s. they ahve worked great. I clean them every 4 or 5 months or so. they do slow down between cleanings. I have them hooked to my Archon so I just increase their max to get by without cleaning them. I have never had one not start. I guess ive had them 3 years maybe. I also have a DC6000. Bought it to use externally as a closed loop pump which it did for 6 months flawlessly on its factory controller. Downsized into my current tank and now it is my return. its nice and quiet. Currently it is hooked to my Archon where it runs at 50% for 10 hours then at 75% for 30 minutes. then back to 50 %. never had an issue with it starting.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a Jaebo return pump, and a jaebo wavemaker for my tank when I got back in a few years back. Jaebo return pump quit on me after 6 months. Wavemaker quite after 8 months. No more for me, thanks.

Bought a Coralbox dosing pump recently. Another cheap China knock-off... So far so good. Build quality looks far better than the Jaebo stuff I had.

I love the idea of an inexpensive option... but if it's not reliable, well... too much money in that glass box to buy unreliable equipment.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 149 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.9%
Back