Are Metal Halides Making a Comeback?

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live by those words, but I'm going to have to say thats a subjective statement due to the fact that I use my lights through my "smart" phone lol

And I don't have to mount my "ballasts" lol
Valid points. Yet in this case it's like a "smart" phone and it's great ability of autocorrect, it's not always right.

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Valid points. Yet in this case it's like a "smart" phone and it's great ability of autocorrect, it's not always right.
Not to mention its one less way to actually interact with your tank. My favorite thing to do, i dont use timers i like to fire the tank every day and watch things wake up and open

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ramp up and ramp down? What's that mean? I have to disagree on that one. 25 years of On/Off reef lighting has worked great for me.
Kind of like sun up sun down. Simulates solar progression throughout the day.

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ramp up and ramp down? What's that mean? I have to disagree on that one. 25 years of On/Off reef lighting has worked great for me.
47611955.jpg

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your telling me that our solar system has been doing it all wrong and that on/off is the way to go. I'm gonna throw in the towel lol

masssnapz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO yes, they are coming back in style, they never went out. Just a week ago I was asking if anyone new of any sleek 70 watt fixtures to supplement my leds, because well, I just dont think that leds are enough and I do love the shimmer of a halide.

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your telling me that our solar system has been doing it all wrong and that on/off is the way to go. I'm gonna throw in the towel lol
No it's doing it right. That's why I use Halides, to replicate the sun. Ooooh that wonderful heat that comes from the sun.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it's doing it right. That's why I use Halides, to replicate the sun. Ooooh that wonderful heat that comes from the sun.
Not necessary :) LEDs can replicate just fine :) And they are only getting better. MH might be tried and true, but has more cons than pros, imo.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is fun. I haven't been this involved in a reef conversation on R2R in years.
I hate arguing with you because you produce beautiful coral and you have been doing it longer than most have been alive, but you do it so well! And I know @Russ265 is worried his LED won't be what he needs, but 3 years down the road when his 300 gallon is still kickin, he will look back and think, what was i worried about? :)

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessary :) LEDs can replicate just fine :) And they are only getting better. MH might be tried and true, but has more cons than pros, imo.
Tried and true is what I like. I have far too many lights to play around with if I were trying to dial in LEDs You can control one light with your iPhone or more if they can be ran in series? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm curious.

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried and true is what I like. I have far too many lights to play around with if I were trying to dial in LEDs You can control one light with your iPhone or more if they can be ran in series? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm curious.
Might need an android to control all the lights you need....and the pot should be re stirred

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 143 74.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back