Transitioning to Metal Halides

plippert21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MH first timer here. I am giving Metal Halides a shot over my frag system. For it I have two hybrid reefbrites 250W MH fixture with their Blue XHO strips.

I am going to be running the MH for 6 hours with the LED strips one the entire time. 1.5 hours before and after the MH.

I’ve raised the fixture high enough where the par is 400-500 when the MH are on. When they are off the LED strips provide just 100 par. Is 100 par during ramp up and down doing anything? Is it enough for the SPS to get 4-500 par for 6 hours at peak with 3 hours of 100 par?

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It going to be really difficult to get bulbs for it.
maybe, hopefully not. Aquabright solutions is new supplier, Dave from Hamilton is involved, with the production of new bulbs and promise of fixtures/ ballasts pending.

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
400-500 par from halide is great. As long as you’re not running a stripped nutrient system your frags will love the light. 6 hrs halide daily is pretty standard. Run the supplements as long as you want for viewing, it won’t matter.

OP
OP
plippert21

plippert21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a pic of the setup. Only have the LEDs on.

Attachments

• IMG_4412.jpeg
    IMG_4412.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 75
OP
OP
plippert21

plippert21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
400-500 par from halide is great. As long as you’re not running a stripped nutrient system your frags will love the light. 6 hrs halide daily is pretty standard. Run the supplements as long as you want for viewing, it won’t matter.

Appreciate it Jackson! Good intel.

OP
OP
plippert21

plippert21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt worry about bulbs. When you find em, order a couple. I did that for a while and now i have years worth of bulbs. I run mine for 7 hours and my sticks took off
Very good to know! Thank you!

I’m excited to see how the growth under Halides/reefbrite hybrid compares to my T5 LED hybrid set up.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think you could've used one RB pendant with some Quanta Pro meso blue bars on either side and covered that tank nicely, plus you'll only need to replace one bulb. Move the light hungry sticks directly under the halide and the rest move to the sides. Just a thought in case you want to set up another frag tank. ;)

OP
OP
plippert21

plippert21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you could've used one RB pendant with some Quanta Pro meso blue bars on either side and covered that tank nicely, plus you'll only need to replace one bulb. Move the light hungry sticks directly under the halide and the rest move to the sides. Just a thought in case you want to set up another frag tank. ;)

I was just thinking I needed to add a fourth tank! The wife will surely appreciate it.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MH first timer here. I am giving Metal Halides a shot over my frag system. For it I have two hybrid reefbrites 250W MH fixture with their Blue XHO strips.

I am going to be running the MH for 6 hours with the LED strips one the entire time. 1.5 hours before and after the MH.

I’ve raised the fixture high enough where the par is 400-500 when the MH are on. When they are off the LED strips provide just 100 par. Is 100 par during ramp up and down doing anything? Is it enough for the SPS to get 4-500 par for 6 hours at peak with 3 hours of 100 par?
Forget all together about PAR when comparing LEDs to halides. Use the lamps 1 or 2 hours a day at first and increase slowly to adapt the corals to halides. It is much simpler than you think!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 112 74.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back