Metal Halides

Salty Fan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I gave in and I’m giving up my Metal Halides for LEDs. I’m keeping the T5’s for now. But I did just replace the 2 - 250W bulbs in the MH. Anybody looking for metal halides get in touch. The real big deal is…
wish me luck on figuring out these LEDs!

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I gave in and I’m giving up my Metal Halides for LEDs. I’m keeping the T5’s for now. But I did just replace the 2 - 250W bulbs in the MH. Anybody looking for metal halides get in touch. The real big deal is…
You ca do it.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats to figure out?

rgulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran Halides for around 25+ years (1986-2013). Decided to start working with LEDS when I started planning for converting my old 180 to the current 300.

Decide whether you want "glitter lines" or not. If so, you're going to want a point-source such as a Kessil or somesuch. If a more "T-5-ish" ambient light is your preference, there are many choices out there that can provide that and a heck of a lot of PAR as well. Most of them look great, are incredibly controllable, and produce super results for the livestock. Ask folks who are using the fixture you're planning to use about their experience with them.

Use a high quality PAR meter that is calibrated for the blue end of the spectrum (something like the Apogee MQ-510) to set up the LEDS and aim for the lower end of the desired scale initially - say somewhere around 150-200 PAR. Ramp up to your desired PAR level gradually. I brought it up about 5-10% a week.

Check that your spectrum covers the animals' needs. Heavy blue is fine I guess, but I prefer a more "shallow-water daylight" spectrum with high natural color rendition. The blue is still there, but the reds and greens are, too.

I think my reef does pretty well on LEDs. Sorry the video is about three months old (I didn't realize the Gold Flake grew so much so fast...yeesh). I guess I need to post a newer one sometime. PAR peaks at around 500 during midday at the top of the reef and about 350-400 at the rubble line. I can push more, but I begin to really inhibit growth at that point and bleach coral.

Cheers,
Ray:cool:

OP
OP
Salty Fan

Salty Fan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for some really good and helpful information. I chose the SmatFarm G5 Aqua Star LED lights. I’ll be putting 3 of them over a 130 gallon tank 72”x18”x24”. This is a new tank, it’s replacing my 19 year old system. I’m keeping my T5s for backup lights.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep those MH for a while. Many have not been happy with LED and end up going back. Since you know that MH can do, you know... You might like the LED more. You might like the MH most as many do. It will not be the same.

You can alway sell them later rather than having to buy some new ones.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back