Are really stringy white poops a sign of internal parasites or is it a myth?

Paul Sands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And your prejudice against others on how they want to run their tanks is definitely well known.

I couldn’t care less if you decide you don’t want to treat your fish. You are on this board trying to convince other people not to treat their fish. You’ve already made up your mind.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Paul Sands. What she said was quite “depending on the client I would consider it if I had a long term relationship with the client I would consider it but they would have to have a very good reason. There is not much risk to something like praziquantel or chloroquine. But invreasingsly veterinary associations are frowning I e calling unethical prophylaxictic or random use of antibiotics.

If you think I’m prejudiced against qt you’re wrong and haven’t been. I have often questioned @Paul B on the science behind what he is doing and @Lasse as well. I have the feeling I could say this table is black and reflexively you would say it’s white

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I couldn’t care less if you decide you don’t want to treat your fish. You are on this board trying to convince other people not to treat their fish. You’ve already made up your mind.
I think you don’t read. There is a difference between treating and prophylaxing something or treating without a diagnosis

Paul Sands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paul Sands. What she said was quite “depending on the client I would consider it if I had a long term relationship with the client I would consider it but they would have to have a very good reason. There is not much risk to something like praziquantel or chloroquine. But invreasingsly veterinary associations are frowning I e calling unethical prophylaxictic or random use of antibiotics.

If you think I’m prejudiced against qt you’re wrong and haven’t been. I have often questioned @Paul B on the science behind what he is doing and @Lasse as well. I have the feeling I could say this table is black and reflexively you would say it’s white

Ah, so your initial claim that she wouldn’t prescribe anything prophylactically was intentionally misleading. Now she apparently agrees that praziquantel or CP are OK.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually we are for members making there own minds up and enjoying the hobby as they see fit. I've never tried to convince anyone otherwise but as a new member trying to troll these threads as you do, it's very clear why your here. Trust me, members here are smarter than you think:D Please carry on

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MnFish1 don't fall into @Paul Sands trap. It's clear he tries to stir the pot with his limited time here. He's a new member, no build thread and likes to tell everyone who doesn't believe his ways are wrong instead of understanding there are many ways to reef.

Last edited:

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parasites are everywhere. Better safe than sorry.
Kind of the way people are with bugs and snakes these days.

Some one regaled me with the story of having a bee in their dining room recently. They were quite proud they killed it. It was a big story. They took pictures. They emptied a whole can of wasp spray to kill it. In the house. They almost died. Epic. I was supposed to be impressed with their heroics.

No more rolling up a paper and swatting a bee and going about your day. If you couldn't shoo it out a door or window. Now it is body armor and chemical warfare.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@MnFish1 don't fall into @Paul Sands trap. It's clear he tries to stir the pot with his limited time here. He's a new member, no build thread and likes to tell everyone who doesn't believe his ways are wrong instead of understanding there are many ways to reef.

Let’s please remember that It doesn’t matter if someone is new or doesn’t have a build thread. Everyone is welcome to their opinion even if we don’t like what someone believes. We are a community that prides itself on being friendly whether we agree with someone or not. I think we all need to remember this.

Thanks.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once again friends and not friends - stand at topic. And the topic is

In the first post - it is clear that I not deny that there is a disease showing white stringy poops, instead I showing there is one but I also state that IMO it is needs at least two indications in order to say that´s a disease. There is no other published article that shows that others than Diplomonads have a stringy white poop as one of the indications of infection and disease as I know of. If anyone knows of such an article – please give me a link.

To avoid further misunderstanding – if it possible – can @revhtree or another mod change the title to: Are really stringy white poops always a sign of internal parasites or is it a myth?

I would also appreciate if someone could lift out the post 148-151; 153, 154: 156-168 to another thread because theys are IMO off topic. I have not start a thread in order to argue for or aganist chemichal prophylactic treatment - this thread is about if a stringy white poop always mean a disease that´s needs treatment.

@HotRocks - in post #143 I ask you this
My humble question is what do you tell me if I said that garlic can have effect at least to one of the known facultative pathogens from the diplomonad family? And some herbs too?

Would love an answer

Sincerely Lasse

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ah, so your initial claim that she wouldn’t prescribe anything prophylactically was intentionally misleading. Now she apparently agrees that praziquantel or CP are OK.

No - it was not intentionally misleading.

With all due respect to @revhtree I would say that you (@Paul Sands) are just trying to make trouble. I didnt try to intentionally mislead anyone. For you to suggest that - to me means you just might not belong here. I was typing on my way home from a funeral - and realized there were a few typos in my post - so let me copy/paste the correct version:

The old version:
What she said was quite “depending on the client I would consider it if I had a long term relationship with the client I would consider it but they would have to have a very good reason. There is not much risk to something like praziquantel or chloroquine. But invreasingsly veterinary associations are frowning I e calling unethical prophylaxictic or random use of antibiotics.

The corrected version:

What she said was quite client dependent - but normally she would not prescribe anything to someone without evidence of disease (this part got deleted). “depending on the client I would consider it if I had a long term relationship with the client but they would have to have a very good reason. There is not much risk to something like praziquantel or chloroquine. But increasingly veterinary associations are frowning i.e., calling unethical prophylaxictic or random use of antibiotics.

Why the corrections are important: She would not routinely do this for 'just anyone' for 'any reason' for 'any medication'. She would need to have a long-term relationship with the client. Whether its an antibiotic > metronidazole (also an antibiotic but less a problem) > antiparisitics (they prescribe these for heart worm prophylactically). The other key point is that veterinary associations are increasingly against any 'prophylactic' treatment - except for worms (praziquantel) and heart worm(I think its ivermectin). @Paul Sands - what this means is that for a fish it would be an uphill battle. She was speaking in general.

And - btw - I'm sorry to even engage in your banter frankly. You can certainly have your own opinion. but when you ask 'for my sisters clinic name , and call me intentionally misleading - I think you have crossed a line - that I dont like in this type of discussion - and I reported that post (the first time (I think) I have reported a post.

The fact is - many countries do not allow prophylactic treatment. Canada does not allow the purchase of many medications. That as also part of this discussion.

But @Lasse- back to the OP - There is no reason to empirically treat 'white poop' in a fish - and no right minded veterinarian would prescribe medication without a cause identified.... Perhaps the new 'paradigm' will be that veterinarian require the fish-owner to bring in a 'white poop sample' as they do for dogs and cats. IDK - I just know that the world as we know it vis a vis antibiotics is changing. Why you @Paul Sands want to make it a personal issue is beyond my comprehension.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

In the first post - it is clear that I not deny that there is a disease showing white stringy poops, instead I showing there is one but I also state that IMO it is needs at least two indications in order to say that´s a disease. There is no other published article that shows that others than Diplomonads have a stringy white poop as one of the indications of infection and disease as I know of. If anyone knows of such an article – please give me a link.

To avoid further misunderstanding – if it possible – can @revhtree or another mod change the title to: Are really stringy white poops always a sign of internal parasites or is it a myth?

I would also appreciate if someone could lift out the post 148-151; 153, 154: 156-168 to another thread because theys are IMO off topic. I have not start a thread in order to argue for or aganist chemichal prophylactic treatment - this thread is about if a stringy white poop always mean a disease that´s needs treatment.

Would love an answer

Sincerely Lasse

And - my previous post where I said we can all agree white poop 'is' a sign - I meant 'can be' a sign of a problem:)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let’s please remember that It doesn’t matter if someone is new or doesn’t have a build thread. Everyone is welcome to their opinion even if we don’t like what someone believes. We are a community that prides itself on being friendly whether we agree with someone or not. I think we all need to remember this.

Thanks.

Here here. I hope the new members without a build thread also realize that they are supposed to be friendly as well. Im sorry - but - never in quite a long time here - have I ever been accused of being 'intentionally misleading' about anything. I have certainly been wrong about something - but.... To be called basically a liar - is (comment deleted - family forum - in case thats also not allowed please delete the post:)) is not acceptable to me. Now back to the thread - which I think is extremely interring - and awaiting @Lasse's answer to my question - what are the symptoms of internal parasites that require immediate attention?

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lasse.. your comment is exactly my concern.. yes of all the angels.. all are eating.. it is just some are fat plump stomachs all the time a few two or three while eating are not really growing like the rest. but as I noted.. these have all been the tank together for over a year.. so if these two or three have the worms... they others are not contracting it...

but yes... the one i noticed the other day is from a pair of hybrid .. flagfin-goldflake.. the two were the same size at time of purchase. now one is about 20 percent larger than the other.

here is a video.. Lasse your thoughts

Has it always this thin poop? The ones from Diplomonad infections is more stringy and more transparent white as I have seen on fish which has been diagnostically determined as infected with these flagellates. Is he/she shy at feed time? does he/she eat as much as the others?

What do you feed with?

Look at the shoulders - the part between the eyes and the beginning of the dorsal fin. IME if you can see that it will slowly be more like a knife or razor - then you can suspect a worm. That this fish is 20 % smaller than the other of the same species/hybrid do not need to indicate worms or internal parasites because this can be due of differences in sex, individuals or an effect of hierarchy.

Based on colour of the fish and behaviour – I´m 99 % sure that it is not a Diplomonad infection (infection of flagellates). The 1 % uncertain is because I have only seen this in freshwater species but I´m rather sure that it is no difference in indications between fresh and saltwater species. The normal indications for a diplomonad infection in FW fish is shyness, dark colouration, first spitting up food – after that not feeding, string white poop and after a while dead.

Hope its help you. I do not give any advises because it is not my fish I put in danger. What to do - you need to decide by yourself after gathering facts. What I would do in similar case with mine fish was probably nothing until I sawe that the fish is affected of something - but thats mine fish, mine money and my risk

Sincerely Lasse

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Would love an answer

Sincerely Lasse

Garlic will not treat velvet. It's a dinoflagellate from the Piscinoodinium genus.

I'm sorry lasse I didn't really understand your question.

If you are saying garlic will treat internal parasites I would disagree based on my own experience. I mix garlic in all my food for flavor. I haven't been able to eliminate white stringy poop until adding medication to the food. That's just my personal experience.

Paul Sands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just asked my sister who is a veterinarian about giving prophylactic treatments for fish she said no way only if they have a documented illness. But that the new standards are way against prophylactic treatment

Sorry, but these two quotes are nowhere near the same thing. The first you were very clear, nothing prescribed unless there is a documented illness. The second indicates she’d be totally fine writing scrips for people she knows without any illness and generally OK treating some diseases prophylactically. If what she said was the second quote, then the first quote is a clear misrepresentation of what she actually said.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry, but these two quotes are nowhere near the same thing. The first you were very clear, nothing prescribed unless there is a documented illness. The second indicates she’d be totally fine writing scrips for people she knows without any illness and generally OK treating some diseases prophylactically. If what she said was the second quote, then the first quote is a clear misrepresentation of what she actually said.

You need to google misrepresentation - and intentional....... then we can talk - but I think you are just trying to stir up problems where there are none. There are many other sites where this is a good / supported thing. and for what its worth I think I will take @DSC reef 's point of view

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Lasse... yes .. have had awhile.. let me observe today and the next coming days to see if it is the same poop. I agree.. i bought two at the same time and believe one is female and other is male.. they get along fine. eats like crazy no issues and all fish very happy and moving about.. All love to ride the currents.. all again...eating like crazy.. thanks for the input

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Oh and you're right - I admitted - I paraphrased and mistyped on my phone on the way home from a funeral (no sympathy needed) - that said met thoughts on the subject are as stated in the post - I already admitted that I (messed up) in the other one. But you are seriously a person that ................ Sorry I cant complete my words because this is a family friendly site - and a friendly site - and frankly I just cant complete it - so you win

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back