Are snowflake eels considered "Reef Safe?" And other questions.

tomtom2245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern with that stand is will it be able to support the 1000+ lbs of the tank filled? It looks like a basic tv stand and I don't see much support in the mid section.

OP
OP
Cowfish928

Cowfish928

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an idea @Eienna and @Duke4Life
@tomtom2245
How about I try and work for a new stand. One that is custom build just for my floor. My floor is on a slope, so I want everything to be safe. I can get a carpenter to make the stand legs and make them the measurments I need. Also I will make sure it is sturdy. And for the Mandarin fish, couldn't I breed copepods in a refugium? I could totally get more space if I create a nice large sturdy stand.

Last edited:

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an idea @Eienna and @Duke4Life
@tomtom2245
How about I try and work for a new stand. One that is custom build just for my floor. My floor is on a slope, so I want everything to be safe. I can get a carpenter to make the stand legs and make them the measurments I need. Also I will make sure it is sturdy. And for the Mandarin fish, couldn't I breed copepods in a refugium? I could totally get more space if I create a nice large sturdy stand.
Great idea!

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, your situation absolutely calls for a new stand. Make sure you get someone experienced in making aquarium stands, as it must be perfectly level on top to avoid tank failures. If the tank isn't level it can blow apart at any time. The stand must also be sturdily made.

Yes, given that scenario, you could definitely grow pods in your sump. The tisbe variety is to be recommended for dragonets. Now, depending on how much he eats and whether you have other pod-eaters in the tank, you will most likely have to add more to the sump occasionally.

OP
OP
Cowfish928

Cowfish928

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The people at my LFS said I should get rid of the brace in the middle of the tank, the thing on the top, for better lighting. But then I would have to buy a new hood. What should I do? @Eienna @Duke4Life

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The people at my LFS said I should get rid of the brace in the middle of the tank, the thing on the top, for better lighting. But then I would have to buy a new hood. What should I do? @Eienna @Duke4Life
Can you get a pic that shows this better? Hoods I'm torn on, while they are eye pleasing since they hide your lights, they can also be a pain in the rear because most of the time they need removed to work in your tank or other things, depending on if your lights raised you may not have space. I kept mine off due to these reasons.

Nigelk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure whatever hood you have it is secure enough for the eel, they can escape the smallest of gaps and even lift the lid.

Happy Jon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just build a new stand. It's relatively easy and there are hundreds of blueprints online.

OP
OP
Cowfish928

Cowfish928

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Happy Jon I totally would, it is a great idea, I just don't trust myself. Also I would want a professional to build it for me because he could make it look a lot better than I could make it.

I have a heavy glass lid @Eienna and @Nigelk

This is the brace in the middle, it also has glass connected to it.
8ecb424fe75bd657a6219cd6d51f88a3.jpg

The glass hoods also have a black brace. Will that affect my lighting harshly?
77d63f75ba098cec19d2154b6899c32f.jpg

Tankr75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends how young you get your eel. I bought a snowflake moray and was less than 6" long and no rounder than a pencil at first he was the only thing I the tank because I was worried he would eat everything. Well about two weeks after I got him I read a post saying that as long as they are bigger than their mouth they won't tell mess with it. So I went to my LFS and bought 4 turbo snails and a coral banded shrimp and a scopas tang. And they don't bother each other. Unless the eel is hungry lol then he will kinda slither over to the tang and get a little unfriendly but if you keep your eel fed he will keep everything alone. But that's my personal experience.

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Im no expert but just wanted to chime in n tell you my experience with my snowflake eel. Ive had him for over 6 months now n is a very picky eater. Mostly eats fresh shrimp and maybe clam strips. In my tank I also have a Cleaner shrimp,coral banded shrimp, turbo snails as well as other little and big fish. He doesnt bother anyone at all. He's never attempted to eat any of my shrimps and is always next to them and loves raw shrimp which is a but odd to me but im not complaining lol. Just thought i'd share :)

Happy Jon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't use a glass lid. The glass will filter UV rays your coral needs to grow.

Happy Jon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if you use a canister filter, use it only for mechanical and chemical filtration. Don't put live rock or any bio filtration in it. It will just collect crap and that's how it becomes a nitrate factory. Just let the live rock in you tank do the bio. filtration You'll also want to change it at least once a week. The chems. You may be able to leave in for up to 2 weeks.

Happy Jon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no Mech. Filtration in my sump. Just get a good HOB skimmer and a good HOB media reactor.

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you get a mesh lid to fit? I know that's another expense but like mentioned they are escape artist. I've seen mine cruise the top perimeter quit a bit but luckily have euro bracing, I believe this has helped from more escape attempts.

ou12004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Zebra eel that doesn't bother snails, hermit crabs, cleaner shrimp or a coral banded shrimp, but will go crazy if a Peppermint shrimp is in the tank. He will hunt everyone of them down until it has eaten every last one. He likes octopus, squid, shrimp, clams but will not eat scallops or anything that has touched a scallop. I have a full reef but when people are over I have to feed the eel until he refuses to eat because people love to see him.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 34 35.4%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 52 54.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 4.2%
Back