Are snowflake eels considered "Reef Safe?" And other questions.

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I talked to my LFS, they can order me a stand for $400. I am excited. I'm saving up, I will buy it soon. Very soon. Also my floor is not even, can I slip stuff under the stand? So it is even? Thanks!
@Duke4Life
Talking about shims. Have any clue how bad it's off? If very bad I'd get a shop to plane some long strips down instead of the small 1s you can buy.

OP
OP
Cowfish928

Cowfish928

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will see if a 2 X 4 will make it better. It is in my room. I have other Aquariums in my room as well. But only Freshwater. What project are you working on? @Duke4Life

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will see if a 2 X 4 will make it better. It is in my room. I have other Aquariums in my room as well. But only Freshwater. What project are you working on? @Duke4Life
A gentleman bought a house and wanted a sunroom rebuilt that badly leaked. We tore down and leveled the partial brick wall last week, finished framing the sides and wood pieces for door (the actual glass sliding door is 8ft tall) and windows so far this week. Starting on the roof tomorrow. Not to mention the 8 exterior shutters for another project I've been sanding on and prepping for paint (if it ever would give me an evening of no rain lol), I need 4 hours to spray and dry with no rain to finish.

OP
OP
Cowfish928

Cowfish928

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that sounds like some hard work. So you can do all those things? That is so cool. I wish I was handy. I can't even build a stand that comes with instructions. Hahahahah @Duke4Life

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will see if a 2 X 4 will make it better. It is in my room. I have other Aquariums in my room as well. But only Freshwater.@Duke4Life
Here's a few questions for you and may or may not explain the difference but possibilities none the less:
How many and total estimated weight of other tanks?
Do you know which way your floor joist run underneath? Or are you on a concrete slab?

Only reason I ask these is because weight distribution could be a factor.

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that sounds like some hard work. So you can do all those things? That is so cool. I wish I was handy. I can't even build a stand that comes with instructions. Hahahahah @Duke4Life
I enjoy working with my hands and transforming things. My favorite is painting, laying flooring (no carpet), or landscaping because of the way they can make a house pop.

OP
OP
Cowfish928

Cowfish928

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today was my last day of school, so now I can really concentrate on everything I need. First thing is first, I will buy that stand, then I will even the water level out by slipping a 2 X 4 under the Stand, or something else if it is to much or to little. I have to earn the money, then ask my LFS to order it. I will let you guys/girls know what is going on. @Duke4Life @Eienna @oodan @cj in sac ca @Tankr75 @FeliciaLynn
@Koolaid

OP
OP
Cowfish928

Cowfish928

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, Today I went to my LFS, they said I shouldn't do an overflow/sump because it floods a lot. I am not sure if this is true. They say I should stick with a canister filter. Or create a "UNI" system, I just don't want to take up space in the aquarium. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also I ordered the stand! :D

@Duke4Life @Eienna

@oodan
@FeliciaLynn
@Tankr75
@cj in sac ca
@Koolaid

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, Today I went to my LFS, they said I shouldn't do an overflow/sump because it floods a lot. I am not sure if this is true. They say I should stick with a canister filter. Or create a "UNI" system, I just don't want to take up space in the aquarium. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also I ordered the stand! :D

@Duke4Life @Eienna

@oodan
@FeliciaLynn
@Tankr75
@cj in sac ca
@Koolaid
They are crazy I'm afraid to say :p I love my sump and wouldn't do without. I've flooded but because I forgot to change my sock out.

OP
OP
Cowfish928

Cowfish928

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah ok @Duke4Life

When it floods, is it possible for all the water to come out? You only had one gallon, but if you were not home, could the water just keep flooding?

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah ok @Duke4Life

When it floods, is it possible for all the water to come out? You only had one gallon, but if you were not home, could the water just keep flooding?
Yes it would have but that's always a fear of any reefer. I've heard of people having a doser or ATO malfunction to forgetting to shutoff things. We are dealing with mechanical things after all.

OP
OP
Cowfish928

Cowfish928

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I see @Duke4Life
But you think a sump is my best bet? As long as I keep up with Maintenance? What does Sump/Reef maintenance look like? How often do i have to do maintenance on the sump?

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I see @Duke4Life
But you think a sump is my best bet? As long as I keep up with Maintenance? What does Sump/Reef maintenance look like? How often do i have to do maintenance on the sump?
Do you really want stuff hanging off the back? If you want an eel this would just be more escape routes.

Sumps make it easier, I switch my filter sock every 3 days, use the return line 2 empty sump for water changes bi weekly, and once a month before adding water I quickly wipe down. Your protein skimmer can also be placed here and is recommended.

Koolaid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set your return high as possible in display to reduce back flow, and siphoning, in case of power outage. I built my sump setting baffles to allow overflowing to remain in sump. I also figure it would take 8 gallons to over flow my system which as of now is impossible because I lack a Ato. To get around Ato take a sharpie and mark normal operating levels in the sump once your return side drop below add fresh until satisfactory. I do this once a day roughly the same time. Sorry to all the die hard sump building experts I see the Ato as a flawed and unnecessary component. Imo go the sump route or not at all; if a problem arises I always open my cabinet, it would be difficult to resolve issues with a canister. :)

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 75 71.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.8%
Back