Are snowflake eels considered "Reef Safe?" And other questions.

Pruett-nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if it was a freak thing or not but the snowflake I had several years ago went carpet surfing . It was fed good , eat good and overall happy and nosey lol . Came home from work and didn't see it so got to looking and sure enough dried up on the carpet.

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if it was a freak thing or not but the snowflake I had several years ago went carpet surfing . It was fed good , eat good and overall happy and nosey lol . Came home from work and didn't see it so got to looking and sure enough dried up on the carpet.
Hate 2 say but fairly common as they are Houdini's. I've heard of a few being found 40ft in another room. Some of these can go up to an hour plus out.

FeliciaLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok sounds perfect! Does anyone recommend any brands for power heads, a Rodi system, salt brands, skimmer brand, reactor brand? And return pump brand? @FeliciaLynn @Duke4Life @oodan

Here is what I personally like and use or have used:
(1) Powerheads - I love my Ecotech Vortech MP10s. Yes, they're expensive, but they're so sleek and I love that you don't have any cords in the tank or coming out over the rim. I like the built in controllability on them too. They're definitely one of the items where I'll always splurge for the high end model. If you are on a budget though, the Jebao RW powerheads are pretty good and inexpensive. They're pretty small and unobtrusive and have some controllability built in.
(2) RODI - I've got a Bulk Reef Supply RODI system and I like it. BRS has a ton of info on their website and they offer lots of different RODI options.
(3) Salt Brand - I've always used Instant Ocean Reef Crystals because they're inexpensive and they've always worked well for me. I've never tried any others because why fix what isn't broken?
(4) Skimmer Brand - I currently have a Reef Octopus skimmer and I love it. It has a gate valve for control, so its way easier to get dialed in than some other skimmers. I have the model with the pump off to the side of the skimmer, which I like because I can easily remove the pump for cleaning. However, this means its quite the space hog, so if you're tight for space, a skimmer with the pump underneath is a better option.
(5) Reactor brand - I really like the Two Little Fishies Phosban reactors because they are cheap and easy. Also they have kits to change out for which type of media you want to run. I run biopellets in mine and it just took an inexpensive kits and a few minutes to switch it from GFO to biopellets.
(6) Return pump - I have a Jebao DC return pump now and I LOVE it. The DC return pumps are controllable, instead of just having one level of flow, you can tune them to different flow outputs. Also, they have nice features like a feed button on the controller, which shuts off the pump for 10 minutes during feeding and then automatically restarts the pump. Also, when the pump starts up, it doesn't just blast right into full flow, instead it ramps up over a few minutes, which is really nice.

FeliciaLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is pretty normal with eels. You absolutely have to have a snug fitting lid and no holes for escape.

OP
OP
Cowfish928

Cowfish928

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to hear about all these eels :(.

Today I asked my LFS to order me a sump with a built in refugium. I am super excited. My LFS wanted wanted to give me a sump that they used on a fish only 200 Gallon. I didn't trust it because I know I wouldn't have space for a skimmer, and I wanted a refugium built in. This will have filter sock compartments. I wouldn't know a SINGLE thing if it wasn't for all of you. Honestly, less than a month ago I knew nothing about this. All of you have taught me things that no one else could teach me like all of you have. I mean don't get me wrong, I still have more questions than you can imagine, but I just am so happy that all of you helped me so much. Thank you. :)

Also I got the PF1000, my LFS ordered for me. And they were suprised that I knew about like gfo reactors and skimmers, ato's, and the owner wanted me to buy that sump from them, the one on the 200 Gallon, and I told them what I wanted. Then the owner was like "Wow, you have been doing some research" and I told them that everyone on this forum has been helping me so much and teaching me everything, and pointing me in directions that are full of information. EVERYONE here has been so amazing. Honestly, taking time out of your day, to answer MY questions.... it just seems so amazing to me. And I'm so thankful for all over you. You guys/girls share your experiences, favorite brands, recommend things to me.... honestly it's insane. Thank you :) I mean that from the bottom of my heart.
(I want to keep this thread going, I still want everyone to be there while I put together my Aquarium. I still have a ridiculous amount of questions. Haha. I just am letting everyone know how I feel)
@Duke4Life
@Humblefish
@FeliciaLynn
@oodan
@Eienna
@Koolaid
@Nigelk
@Pruett-nc
@Baby Ray
@yassin.ghanem
@cj in sac ca
@Tankr75
@Happy Jon
@merlberg
@ou12004
@dwebb1031
@tomtom2245
I'm sorry if I missed ANYONE who has been helping me. I am just so tired and it's late, I'm falling asleep.

Last edited:

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to hear about all these eels :(.

Today I asked my LFS to order me a sump with a built in refugium. I am super excited. My LFS wanted wanted to give me a sump that they used on a fish only 200 Gallon. I didn't trust it because I know I wouldn't have space for a skimmer, and I wanted a refugium built in. This will have filter sock compartments. I wouldn't know a SINGLE thing if it wasn't for all of you. Honestly, less than a month ago I knew nothing about this. All of you have taught me things that no one else could teach me like all of you have. I mean don't get me wrong, I still have more questions than you can imagine, but I just am so happy that all of you helped me so much. Thank you. :)

Also I got the PF1000, my LFS ordered for me. And they were suprised that I knew about like gfo reactors and skimmers, ato's, and the owner wanted me to buy that sump from them, the one on the 200 Gallon, and I told them what I wanted. Then the owner was like "Wow, you have been doing some research" and I told them that everyone on this forum has been helping me so much and teaching me everything, and pointing me in directions that are full of information. EVERYONE here has been so amazing. Honestly, taking time out of your day, to answer MY questions.... it just seems so amazing to me. And I'm so thankful for all over you. You guys/girls share your experiences, favorite brands, recommend things to me.... honestly it's insane. Thank you :) I mean that from the bottom of my heart.
(I want to keep this thread going, I still want everyone to be there while I put together my Aquarium. I still have a ridiculous amount of questions. Haha. I just am letting everyone know how I feel)
@Duke4Life
@Humblefish
@FeliciaLynn
@oodan
@Eienna
@Koolaid
@Nigelk
@Pruett-nc
@Baby Ray
@yassin.ghanem
@cj in sac ca
@Tankr75
@Happy Jon
@merlberg
@ou12004
@dwebb1031
@tomtom2245
I'm sorry if I missed ANYONE who has been helping me. I am just so tired and it's late, I'm falling asleep.
I can't wait to see what you come up with!

FeliciaLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're very welcome! Its not problem at all and its what the forums are here for. Ask away! I still ask questions and I'm almost 5 years into keeping reef aquariums. :)

OP
OP
Cowfish928

Cowfish928

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw the sump today. It is kind of small. I'm kind of bummed out. My LFS said it will work for my 100

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Cowfish928 here's a pic of my recent/current project:
0627161343.jpg

OP
OP
Cowfish928

Cowfish928

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome, lots of progress! Too bad it's so hot.

And I'm bringing the sump home next week, I'm at Lake Tahoe for vacation. Trying to catch some fish, I got some blue gill yesterday. What should I buy after I get that sump home?

@Duke4Life

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 44 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 27.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 53 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.3%
Back