Are these guys on their way out...

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
came home from work today and the AC was off... temp of tank was 81.9 degrees and noticed some PE's looking like this..

Zombie_PE_sick.jpg

do they have a chance of recovering?

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be fine. I've had my tank get up to 84 and the zoas didn't bat a tentacle.

Keep an eye on them, may be something irritating them.

Jon

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marvin,

How long have you had those zoas in your tank? When I first introduce PEs into my tank they open like that. But after a few days they close up and don't open.

In the end I feel like you should be fine. My AC broke a few days ago and my tank was in the 82-85 range for 3 days. I didn't lose anything in there.

Reefwifey

Zoa Black Thumb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nano has been sitting at around 81-83 degrees lately, I really need to get one of those little chiller mods. Everything seems alright though. Those PEs look a bit like some of mine who have gotten picked at by amphipods.

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ficklefins said:
Marvin,

How long have you had those zoas in your tank? When I first introduce PEs into my tank they open like that. But after a few days they close up and don't open.

In the end I feel like you should be fine. My AC broke a few days ago and my tank was in the 82-85 range for 3 days. I didn't lose anything in there.

I transferred them over from the 12g nano to the 32g a little shy of 2 months ago... they were in the nano for 2 months or so... only had 1 adult and 1 baby to start with...

I don't see anything pickin on them when I'm viewing my tank.. I'll look at them at night and pull out the flashlight and see if anything is messing with them at night..

hope they're okay though coz this is the guy that had the weird bump that ended up popping triplets...

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the temp only means something depending on how much the temp changed. zoas can be acclimated to much warmer/colder conditions. but if the temp changes by more than a couple degrees i think they will go into *temperature shock*

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't think that the temp you gave us would be anything other then a normal temp fluctuation.....I had my tank up to 94 degrees twice this summer and have only lost 3 frags and had a few look like they wanted to go. All have made it back to former glory since......I would say if anything it is something in your water or one of your water parameters is fluctuating throughout the day and that is what is getting to them....I have had some stuff look just like that and the lights and temp could be ruled out as they were or are at normal levels. But there are things in the water that we don't see or test for that can cause changes and effect the polyps....I would run some water test to see what they turn out like....Maybe one earlier in the day and one later in the day to see what if any fluctuations there are.

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to be honest.. I don't really test for my parameters unless something drastic happens to my corals.. I can normally read my tank pretty well...

I have another 10-15% water change schedule on Monday so I'll hope for the best for now.. everything else is doing fine..

come to think of it, these guys did almost the same thing when I got 'em..

I'll keep you guys posted.. I'll have updated pics in a week..

Thanks again...

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 88 44.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 28 14.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back