Are these prices serious? Who buys this stuff?

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Right I agree I dont buy acros from there . If you have patience and want to hold out on wild pieces to color up.then not a bad idea . However for Lps and softies it's never a bad bet really . Look at Pacific east aquaculture besides a couple stylo frags and birdsnrst almost every acro that goes on the site is a chopped up aussie colony . I mean if you want to buy 900 varieties of chalice and favia then its awesome. Not knocking them but I'm saying there are only so many places that sell aquaculture sps. I dont need to buy an aquacultured frogspawn or hammer

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right I agree I dont buy acros from there . If you have patience and want to hold out on wild pieces to color up.then not a bad idea . However for Lps and softies it's never a bad bet really . Look at Pacific east aquaculture besides a couple stylo frags and birdsnrst almost every acro that goes on the site is a chopped up aussie colony . I mean if you want to buy 900 varieties of chalice and favia then its awesome. Not knocking them but I'm saying there are only so many places that sell aquaculture sps. I dont need to buy an aquacultured frogspawn or hammer

I believe Pacific East actually gets a lot of their SPS from mariculture stations. At least that is what I've taken away from his posts.

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as aquarists buy or keep buying corals with inflated prices, retailers and other venues will continue to sell these corals at astronomical dollar amounts.
Personally, I would not pay these prices but everyone is different. Everyone has different spending habits and funds with which to do so.
I have a hard time spending $100 pp for a Speckled Krak or Buttkisser Palythoa.
I’m not trying to keep up with the Jones’, so to speak- hence, I buy what I like, that I can afford, makes me happy and make my aquariums that much better without having to spend an arm and a leg to do so.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They basically bring in big shipments of Aussie coral colonies and chop them up into small frags and then make a lot more $$$ than if they sold them as colonies. They do grow some of their own stuff.

I'm not saying this is bad/wrong, just what happens. All the retailers do it, it is the only way to bring in new pieces, some just do it more than others. I just find it funny when these places have these high end pieces attached to them and they don't even own a piece because it was something they brought in, chopped up and sold never thinking it was going to become such a wanted piece.

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like this fish:
https://m.liveaquaria.com/divers-den/product/459968/tiger-angelfish
Screenshot_20190502-122726_Chrome.jpg
Sorry if someone has already posted this.

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their eBay auctions are usually the only way to get stuff at decent prices. It costs 40$ for shipping everything, but MUCH better than what they have listed on their site.

That said, coral prices are absolutely absurd in general. a LFS is the place to go, but unfortunately the selection is usually sub par. Buying common stuff online is never a good idea though.
That's an even bigger part of the problem now. The lfs (multiple in the area) still have the mostly sub par selection but have now doubled their prices in most cases because they see this ****. So now a brown 4" trach is 250 dollars.
I wouldn't even be able to stock with junk coral if it wasn't for local hobbyists.

That being said, that Demons blood Wilson though... how much blood would I have to give for 899? Hhmmm...

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U

User1

View Badges
Why do rich people get a the cool stuff!

Because they are willing to take a chance. Also because of hard work.

Then there is also just blind luck, born into it, and different knowledge on how to manage money. I know people don't like to hear this but we are all not the same and there is no utopia.

U

User1

View Badges
I see they used the old marketing technique to round down the price (10,999.99 Hmmm... 10K and some change.) Is that really necessary when you're asking $11K for a fish? I doubt anyone with that sort of disposable income really cares about the price. It's all about status.

Not sure about status but I do agree that they don't care about the price. People with that sort of income tend to lose track of what a simple $10 dollar bill is. To them that $10 is no different than a $100.

I remember a while back I was listening to a radio interview while driving to the Unit with Kevin Costner. Anyway the disk jockey and he are casual acquaintances and always had this game they played with one another whereas he would ask Kevin if they wanted to swap wallets. A bet so to speak or if they wanted to change. Anyway it came up and the radio lad declined to play but wanted to know what Kevin had going on. Long story short he had a bunch of crap wadded up in his pocket and it turned out to be about 4,300 dollars. He asked him why he carries around so much cash like that and Kevin said it was his spending money for the day...

So yeah - 10, 20, 11,000. What is the difference when you are earning over 10,000 or more a day.

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because they are willing to take a chance. Also because of hard work.

Then there is also just blind luck, born into it, and different knowledge on how to manage money. I know people don't like to hear this but we are all not the same and there is no utopia.

So true. Everything has a price, even us humans. I found out last week I will inherited a trust worth millions. Guess my valve as a human just skyrocketed.

Art2249

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never cared much for hunting myself but I remember back in the 70's when you could get a hunting lease in Texas at a working man's price. But the population here has really grown since then, along with all the affluent people. Now a good hunting lease is out of reach for most people. As a caveat, I will mention that I know this because of my 81 year old dad, who is an avid hunter. He took a 1000 acre lease back when I was a teenager and became such good friends with the rancher that after about 15 years he no longer had to pay. The old rancher died and the privilege was carried on by the ranchers son, but my dad didn't enjoy it so much after the old man died. I believe the same thing is happening in reefing. More affluent people competing for less and less stock.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So true. Everything has a price, even us humans. I found out last week I will inherited a trust worth millions. Guess my valve as a human just skyrocketed.
I don't see how this at all contributes to the conversation, except for an attempt to stir the pot

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 86 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.6%
Back