Are you cleaning these in your aquarium and should you be?

Are you "cleaning" the rock in your reef aquarium?

• Yes

Votes: 519 53.5%
  • No

Votes: 362 37.3%
  • Have no idea how to do that

Votes: 90 9.3%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Inspired by a post yesterday I thought this would make a good discussion today! So what are we talking about here? ROCKS!! Should you, could you, would you clean your aquascape? If so, how the heck? Well by blowing off the detritus with some sort of device as simple as a turkey baster. So let me ask you this.

1. Are you cleaning your rocks, your aquascape by blowing off the settled gunk or detritus?

2. How do you clean your ROCK and what method works best for you?

image via @Copedog
like.jpg

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I blow mine off with a turkey baster before a water change, but I also blow them off before I leave to work in the morning so I can feed the tentacles in the tank, its like home made reef snow that I don't have to buy.... every third water change I will blow the sand before a water change....

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large cuc and a couple MP40's doing that, but I will give it a go next time to see if they are doing their jobs.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I blow off with a baster and call it a day !

ReeferCrabness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the turkey baster thing during water changes as others have stated. I
also set my skimmer for a wet skim over the next few hours afterwards to help
filter out what I couldn't suck up during the water change.

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea how to do this properly, because:
- If I do a 10% WC after, I’m leaving 99.99% of the stuff in there as it settles out fast back on the rocks
- If I do it while the tank is running, probably only 1% lands in the floss in my sump and the other 99% settles back out on the rockwork

Terrp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever I get around to it, I turn down the power on one of the powerheads, grab it off the glass and wave it over the rocks. I let my filter roller and skimmer remove any resulting detritus. On the rare times I do a water change, I'll siphon the sump under the filter roller. Every once in a while, I may use Dr. Tim's Waste Away to remove any build-up in the rocks, pipes, etc. I'll also use Vibrant if I see signs of GHA.

Ripp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have 125 gallon and use a turkey baster my girl helps me she like helping in the tank she will be in there every couple days. Scotter the goby dos a good job of making a mess ......and both hands on deck at wc

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a heavy duty pond pump with a wand and valve that I choke to thoroughly stir 1/4 of the sand every week, then I open the valve and blast all the rocks.
It doesn't keep things spotless, but it does keep things consistent. I don't like spotless anyway. :)

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to blow it off with a turkey baster. I also used to have a "surge mode" programmed into my Apex. Once an hour the WAVs would go at 100% for 1 minute. I did this 24 times a day.

However, since I started dosing Vibrant and NoPox, I find I don't need to do it any more! Everything is incredibly clean!!

Back