Are you cleaning these in your aquarium and should you be?

Are you "cleaning" the rock in your reef aquarium?

• Yes

Votes: 519 53.5%
  • No

Votes: 362 37.3%
  • Have no idea how to do that

Votes: 90 9.3%

• Total voters

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean the aquascape with a turkey baster when I clean the sand bed. If I am doing just a simple 10 gal water change I don't clean the aquascape.

captainsmitty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once a week I blast the rocks with a PMUP attached to a Home Depot driveway reflector. Works like a charm.

1578087506654.jpeg

What pump fits in the base?

bigcheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weekly? Yeah, the baster is the tool of choice.
I took a totally different approach to the deep clean, about once every 6 weeks or so.
Instead of blasting it all in the water column, I hacked a siphon (Lowes #955584) into one of those long-handled pot brushes. As I brush the rocks, the detritus-laden water goes right into a filter sock in the sump.

U

User1

View Badges
Is there a third option such as turning on all forms of return pumps and power heads to 100% for 5 minutes?????

Short answer is no, I do not specifically blast the rocks because Pukani has so many nooks and crannies that many a animal lives in them. So it really isn't a wise thing to do. Small cobies and shrimp not to mention my snails. However, having said that we all know how Mother Nature does this. She produces a storm at which the sky grows dark, the waves grow high, the temperatures change, streaks of bright light flashes across the nights sky and thunderous screams can be heard for miles. Waves, current, crashing across the reef crests does just this...

Thus me always either manually turning on everything or via a controller option for storms. My reef angel custom library would do this to include pumps, power heads, and lights. New controller is a bit different but easy enough to do via portal and just flip the bits on/off. 99% of the time my fish give me the stink eye but once it is all said and done everything is crazy extended with regards to polyps.

OMG FOOD!

Emerson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use a the small Neptune Pump (PMuP), and aim it with my hand. If I don't have one in already, I set up a filter sock to catch the suspended particles and/or during water change.

Back