Are you cleaning your skimmer neck & cup properly? It's pretty important right?

How important is keeping your skimmer neck and cup clean?

• Very Important

Votes: 324 40.6%
  • Somewhat Important

Votes: 309 38.7%
  • Not that Important

Votes: 128 16.0%
  • Not Important at all

Votes: 23 2.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 14 1.8%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you cleaning your skimmer neck & cup properly? It's pretty important right?

So every time I clean my skimmer cup/neck I wonder if I'm doing it like everyone else. Doing it good enough. Why is it that important to make sure the neck of the protein skimmer stays clean? Well a protein skimmer is one important tool we use as an exporter of nutrients and dissolved organic compounds (DOC) to keep the nasties (algae) out of our reef tank! So keeping the neck and cup of your skimmer clean helps by ensuring your skimmer is working as intended. Cleaning the intake pump as well but that's for another day!

"Consistently cleaning the neck of your protein skimmer will reduce the build-up of bio-organics. This build-up causes the foam to stick to the sides and can restrict the collection of skimmate in the skimmer's collection cup" - Reef Octopus

Should be pretty easy and straightforward right? That's what I think too. But today for the sake of conversation and to make sure we're getting it right let's talk about it and share how and why we clean like we do.

1. How often are you cleaning your skimmer cup and neck?

2. How are you cleaning the neck and cup of your skimmer?

fish poop cleaner.jpg

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean both of my skimmers every weekend. I shut skimmers off via Apex, pull cup and bring to my laundry room where they get dosed with hot water and a brush. Then I use same brush on skimmer body in each sump. Reload and turn back on - total time 15 mins. I've tried letting them go longer but I dry skim and it tends to hurt the efficiency.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I clean mine about twice a week with a sponge and tap water.

Lostreefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question, the neck of the skimmer is on the body of the skimmer where the body tapers up to a smaller diameter, and is separate from the collection cup, correct? That is not easy to rinse, I just normally run my finger around and rinse it in the skimmer water while it's running? Removing my skimmer to clean the neck would be a bit of a pain in the neck.

Last edited:

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to clean the skimmer in both my systems once per week. Then I went to once every 2 weeks and now I clean it when I remember which is around once a month on each system. I have a NYOS 160 and 300

Now I’m not going to argue if weekly cleaning is better, it no doubt is, but have I noticed any difference, no. Which is why I just do it now every 3-4 weeks or so.....

Opalmoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a macro aqua M-50 HOB skimmer, so its important I clean it either every day or every other day, unless I really like looking at the gunk buildup and because the collection cup is small and requires a clean up every day or every other day.

I use the sink and my hands to clean it but might get a sponge to do the harder to reach places.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 37 36.6%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 54 53.5%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 4.0%
Back