Aspiring Reefer from WNY

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

After scrolling through the Reef2Reef forum for a few months now I finally decided to jump in. I have read about numerous member's tanks in their build threads and learned a ton from various other areas. I am a planner, so I have been thinking about what my ideal reef tank would look like for quite some time now. About a year ago, I initially got interested in having an aquarium, but wanted to make sure it was something I would enjoy. After researching and talking with the owner of the LFS I decided to start with a 38 gallon freshwater aquarium to give it a try without the cost and commitment that come with a saltwater aquarium. I learned a lot starting my first aquarium and have been able to create an enjoyable tank and proved to myself that I don't mind the regular maintenance schedule.

Fast forward a few months, and a trip to the Southern Caribbean re-ignited/confirmed my desire to have a piece of the ocean in my living room. Ever since that trip I have been watching Youtube videos, reading articles, and checking out Reef2Reef forums to figure out my timeline and plan. The aquarium will be located right in the heart of my home where it can be observed at all times, so creating a visually appealing, interesting, sleek, and clean tank is a must. That being said, I have been tailoring my plans around a Red Sea Reefer 250 or 350 (debating if I can squeeze the 4 ft tank in). I have not established a specific list of livestock or corals that I plan on stocking (part of what I plan to learn as a new member), but a colorful, active tank full of hardy and relatively lower maintenance inhabitants would be my initial plan as I start the learning curve. Softies and easier LPS is what a majority of my corals will most likely be. Up to this point, I have mainly been focusing on tank/hardware selection to plan the initial build. With this step complete I am ready to dive into being a member of Reef2Reef, get feedback on my current thoughts/plan, create a timeline, plan my livestock, and most importantly make the purchase and become a member of the Reefing community! Looking forward to joining all of you in this hobby.

Rudzbrewski

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
Wtr2r10.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the Buffalo area. Any particular stores in WNY you recommend checking out?
Whenever I go out I frequent A reef creation. And another out by the airport, but the name escapes me. ....

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go Bills! I just moved from the motherland 2 years ago to orlando. Buffalo coral reef and A reef creation are great stores around there. In fact id say they are some of the best LFS ive ever walked into. I think the local community is growing up there. This is a great forum and youll find the answers your looking for here for sure. cant wait to see what you have planned GO BILLS

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back