OP
OP
Rudzbrewski

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Awesome idea giving a freshwater tank a try first!
As I initially learned more and more about saltwater I figured I better make sure I’m up for the challenge and it isn’t just a fleeting interest before making the commitment. After I enjoyed it more than I ever expected, it confirmed I might be destined for joining the saltwater community.

OP
OP
Rudzbrewski

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go Bills! I just moved from the motherland 2 years ago to orlando. Buffalo coral reef and A reef creation are great stores around there. In fact id say they are some of the best LFS ive ever walked into. I think the local community is growing up there. This is a great forum and youll find the answers your looking for here for sure. cant wait to see what you have planned GO BILLS
Go Bills! Thanks for the advice. I will definitely have to go check them out and maybe pick their brains. Now that I’ve finally narrowed it down to two tank options (I think?), I can really start detailed planning. I want to do it right the first time to minimize the replacing and upgrading without breaking the bank unnecessarily. Any experience going to the LFS called Coral and Sea Aquatics?

CasaReefer

Promoted To Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude...Welcome to R2R ... No Plan No Attack ... No Attack No Victory..... These words and other smart stuff came from This Guy..... The Big @Rudzbrewski! .... Dude...... I love your Movie..... Good Luck on This Journey and keep sharing with us please.. :)

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go Bills! Thanks for the advice. I will definitely have to go check them out and maybe pick their brains. Now that I’ve finally narrowed it down to two tank options (I think?), I can really start detailed planning. I want to do it right the first time to minimize the replacing and upgrading without breaking the bank unnecessarily. Any experience going to the LFS called Coral and Sea Aquatics?
Well im sure by now you have established a loose budget, in my experience at least you can toss that directly out the window lol I like to try and look at my tank as a lifesupport system and spend according those types of principals. So for me that meant that the return pump is the most important part followed by the circulation pumps, then of course the lights and lastly skimmer. If your trying to minimize going back and upgrading which is EXACTLY what i try to do be prepared to sleep on the couch or in the finished garage. I personally i am an ecotech marine fan boy because in 2012 when i walked into ARC (a reef creation) thats what they told me was the best and ive had great success using all types of their equipment. That stuff isnt cheap. For my skimmer i used to follow the ratings each company put on but quickly realized they are full of it. I got lucky and found a barely used Bubble magus D8 skimmer that is dc and i love it. What tank size are you thinking about going with. Where are you thinking of putting it?

OP
OP
Rudzbrewski

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well im sure by now you have established a loose budget, in my experience at least you can toss that directly out the window lol I like to try and look at my tank as a lifesupport system and spend according those types of principals. So for me that meant that the return pump is the most important part followed by the circulation pumps, then of course the lights and lastly skimmer. If your trying to minimize going back and upgrading which is EXACTLY what i try to do be prepared to sleep on the couch or in the finished garage. I personally i am an ecotech marine fan boy because in 2012 when i walked into ARC (a reef creation) thats what they told me was the best and ive had great success using all types of their equipment. That stuff isnt cheap. For my skimmer i used to follow the ratings each company put on but quickly realized they are full of it. I got lucky and found a barely used Bubble magus D8 skimmer that is dc and i love it. What tank size are you thinking about going with. Where are you thinking of putting it?
I didn’t establish a budget as much as read and watched videos (many of the BRS step by step guides) to figure out what the best way to set things up and consider are, then determine what products I would want, then add it up and see if it was realistic for me to even consider. I think I have it narrowed down to the Res Sea Reefer 250 or 350 (36 or 48” x 20ish x 20 ish). My next step is mocking up a cardboard replica and determining which size fits best. It will be doing in my living room which I can see from all main living areas of my home and the kitchen to really make it a centerpiece. That being said sleek and clean design with no hardware clutter is essential, so I plan on paying up for certain things like the vortech power heads to minimize the clutter and cords in the tank.

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

After scrolling through the Reef2Reef forum for a few months now I finally decided to jump in. I have read about numerous member's tanks in their build threads and learned a ton from various other areas. I am a planner, so I have been thinking about what my ideal reef tank would look like for quite some time now. About a year ago, I initially got interested in having an aquarium, but wanted to make sure it was something I would enjoy. After researching and talking with the owner of the LFS I decided to start with a 38 gallon freshwater aquarium to give it a try without the cost and commitment that come with a saltwater aquarium. I learned a lot starting my first aquarium and have been able to create an enjoyable tank and proved to myself that I don't mind the regular maintenance schedule.

Fast forward a few months, and a trip to the Southern Caribbean re-ignited/confirmed my desire to have a piece of the ocean in my living room. Ever since that trip I have been watching Youtube videos, reading articles, and checking out Reef2Reef forums to figure out my timeline and plan. The aquarium will be located right in the heart of my home where it can be observed at all times, so creating a visually appealing, interesting, sleek, and clean tank is a must. That being said, I have been tailoring my plans around a Red Sea Reefer 250 or 350 (debating if I can squeeze the 4 ft tank in). I have not established a specific list of livestock or corals that I plan on stocking (part of what I plan to learn as a new member), but a colorful, active tank full of hardy and relatively lower maintenance inhabitants would be my initial plan as I start the learning curve. Softies and easier LPS is what a majority of my corals will most likely be. Up to this point, I have mainly been focusing on tank/hardware selection to plan the initial build. With this step complete I am ready to dive into being a member of Reef2Reef, get feedback on my current thoughts/plan, create a timeline, plan my livestock, and most importantly make the purchase and become a member of the Reefing community! Looking forward to joining all of you in this hobby.

Rudzbrewski
hey there from Rochester! you really really should join group called urs or upstate reef society. we are on here, reef central and facebook (most active lately). its a bunch of reefkeepers from syracuse, rochester, and buffalo. many of us have been in the hobby for 20+ years. a wealth of advice knowledge and most imporantly frags.

OP
OP
Rudzbrewski

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey there from Rochester! you really really should join group called urs or upstate reef society. we are on here, reef central and facebook (most active lately). its a bunch of reefkeepers from syracuse, rochester, and buffalo. many of us have been in the hobby for 20+ years. a wealth of advice knowledge and most imporantly frags.
Thank you for the invite! I will check that out!

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t establish a budget as much as read and watched videos (many of the BRS step by step guides) to figure out what the best way to set things up and consider are, then determine what products I would want, then add it up and see if it was realistic for me to even consider. I think I have it narrowed down to the Res Sea Reefer 250 or 350 (36 or 48” x 20ish x 20 ish). My next step is mocking up a cardboard replica and determining which size fits best. It will be doing in my living room which I can see from all main living areas of my home and the kitchen to really make it a centerpiece. That being said sleek and clean design with no hardware clutter is essential, so I plan on paying up for certain things like the vortech power heads to minimize the clutter and cords in the tank.
I wish i could give proper credit but i saw someone in build some where build a peninsula tank and basically used the overflow side to connect to an ikea or something cabinet which he had replica panels made so it looked the same from both sides. Also the cabinet went to the ceiling and looked like it was part of the wall. That thing pretty much gave him an entire base of operations while being totally stealth.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also i even though i dont own one but i like waterbox better for some reason. I have no info or opinions that make me think this. i jst like the way they look better.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i run mp40s in a 48x24x16 and i think its a bit much, that being said i had icecap gyre 1k and man that thing could move some water. Those can be made to look very clean when installed as long as your creative with placement.
My first set of radions i had hanging on their stock wire hanging kit and they looked great but still had the power cord to deal with. adding a canopy helps there but nothing IMO looks better than a huge rimless peninsula. That to me is the definition of CLEAN.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
minions-welcome_orig.jpg

OP
OP
Rudzbrewski

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i run mp40s in a 48x24x16 and i think its a bit much, that being said i had icecap gyre 1k and man that thing could move some water. Those can be made to look very clean when installed as long as your creative with placement.
My first set of radions i had hanging on their stock wire hanging kit and they looked great but still had the power cord to deal with. adding a canopy helps there but nothing IMO looks better than a huge rimless peninsula. That to me is the definition of CLEAN.
Thanks for all the input! Really appreciate any feedback. I wasn't planning on a peninsula because it has to go against a wall. I like the clean look of no canopy. I also can’t hang my lights because it’s a vaulted ceiling and it would look goofy in our house. I’m debating between 2x AI prime or 2x kessil. I’ll mount them with the mounting arm instead of the goosenecks. I figure as long as I can minimize the cords out of the tank it should be super clean with everything hidden in the cabinet.

OP
OP
Rudzbrewski

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of posting / updating my plans and thoughts as I went on one of the forums, but I am probably a few months off from making purchases and finalizing the whole plan. I didn’t think it would be time to post a build thread, so would the New To Reefing thread be the best place to post that?

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the input! Really appreciate any feedback. I wasn't planning on a peninsula because it has to go against a wall. I like the clean look of no canopy. I also can’t hang my lights because it’s a vaulted ceiling and it would look goofy in our house. I’m debating between 2x AI prime or 2x kessil. I’ll mount them with the mounting arm instead of the goosenecks. I figure as long as I can minimize the cords out of the tank it should be super clean with everything hidden in the cabinet.
i think the only other lights i would ever would be kessil in fact on my next DT mangrove build is going to have a kessil pendant freshwater over it i think. They will be over my frag tanks for sure

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of posting / updating my plans and thoughts as I went on one of the forums, but I am probably a few months off from making purchases and finalizing the whole plan. I didn’t think it would be time to post a build thread, so would the New To Reefing thread be the best place to post that?
Take your tiime with everything its better that way. that way you think of more possible issues and get them worked out long before they become real problems

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 56 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 46 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back