ATO Reservoir Ideas

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally debating kicking the home depot bucket (my current ATO reservoir), but I have no interest in paying for a prefabbed fancy acrylic box. Anyone care to chime in on any safe DIY or manufactured container options out there while keeping space restrictions in mind?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the 5g food grade bucket and glad I did... very convenient. You could always use a 10g aquarium as the ato resevoir.

kevyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 1/2 gallon tank from petco is a conveniently sized option. If you feel like it you can get a piece of plexiglass, cut it to the size of the top of the tank. Drill some holes for the tubes, then paint the whole outside black (Or your preferred color).

Just fyi, I am a fan of rustoleum Professional black. The nozzle gives a nice spray pattern. It also will paint most everything.

OP
OP
CodyRVA

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all! So, basically the home depot bucket in the living room isn't the most appealing thing to look at. If I can get a small container under my stand, understanding i'm sacrificing total volume, I would like to see what's out there. If I can't find or make something i'll leave the bucket. I'm limited on space with just 7 X 7 X 27 inches of space. I could make a tall cube acrylic container, but would love to find something I can drop in there.

It's an 80G system so I really don't need the full 5 gallons I get now with the HD bucket, I'd be willing to go down to 2.5-3 G.

I do use two brute trash can's for water storage, but seeing as I rent and I keep them in the garage; I have no way of getting the water from the garage into the living room, thus the need for the home depot bucket.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I needed at least ten gallons for an ATO Reservoir that wasn't higher than my sump (so that it wouldn't self-siphon), so here's what I can up with.....the water cooler concept reservoir....using a five gallon bucket from my pool, and a water jug. Simply cut a circle out of the top of the lid. The siphon point is the level of water in the bucket, not in the jug, and the bucket level was below my sump level. The water jugs also make changes very simple.

ATO Reservior Raw.jpg

I did have to re-enforce the top of the lid of the bucket, so a donut was made from 1/2 acrylic.

ATO Reservior Ring Raw.jpg

ATO Reservior Ring in Place.jpg

A simple paneled cabinet was made to cover the reservoir.

ATO Reservior Cabinet.jpg

This actually was a three sided cabinet on four casters that is easily pulled in and out.

ATO Reservior Cabinet pulled out.jpg

And finally, to know when it needs a new jug of water, a horizontal float switch was installed in the side of the bucket.

ATO Reservior Float Switch.jpg

This float switch simply lit an LED that was in the face of my equipment cabinet.

ATO Reservior LED Indicator Light.jpg

OP
OP
CodyRVA

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@redfishbluefish That's pretty slick! I tossed around the idea of making a structure to house a large ATO reservoir, but I'd like to try and get one under my stand first. If that's a no go, then i'll probably have to venture down the road you did.

A smaller 5G version of this would be perfect.

needbiggertanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I needed at least ten gallons for an ATO Reservoir that wasn't higher than my sump (so that it wouldn't self-siphon), so here's what I can up with.....the water cooler concept reservoir....using a five gallon bucket from my pool, and a water jug. Simply cut a circle out of the top of the lid. The siphon point is the level of water in the bucket, not in the jug, and the bucket level was below my sump level. The water jugs also make changes very simple.

ATO Reservior Raw.jpg

I did have to re-enforce the top of the lid of the bucket, so a donut was made from 1/2 acrylic.

ATO Reservior Ring Raw.jpg

ATO Reservior Ring in Place.jpg

A simple paneled cabinet was made to cover the reservoir.

ATO Reservior Cabinet.jpg

This actually was a three sided cabinet on four casters that is easily pulled in and out.

ATO Reservior Cabinet pulled out.jpg

And finally, to know when it needs a new jug of water, a horizontal float switch was installed in the side of the bucket.

ATO Reservior Float Switch.jpg

This float switch simply lit an LED that was in the face of my equipment cabinet.

ATO Reservior LED Indicator Light.jpg
Now this is a nice option. Well done

OP
OP
CodyRVA

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many different sized dog/cat food containers at Petsmart/Petco that will work.
I've been using this one for about 3 years on my 50 . It holds about 14 gallons.

Nice! Was looking at these as well; size killing me again unless I could find a smaller one.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back