OP
CodyRVA

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Autoclavable" is a synonym for "you don't need that".

If #1 fits, that's a good option. Container Store is fun too....take a look.

Sweet, i'll check it out!

All those look good only thing I see on a couple is the bottles are not clear. This makes it harder to see how much is left.

Good point...

kevyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for the input. I like the DIY Acrylic option, my concern is the cost effectiveness. If i went with 7 X 7 X 20, I would end up with roughly 4.25 gallons. The acrylic, weld and shipping would likely be right at $100.

I'll snag a pic of what i'm working with. If i relocate my dosing jugs I would have plenty of room, but i'd probably have to move them behind the stand; not sure how i feel about setting them on carpet.

The one jug I found on uline would be great, but I'd have to order a dozen minimum which runs $120, in which case i'll just do the acrylic DIY option.
See if you have a TAP plastic store near you. They might be able to sell you only what you need. Also, you don't have to fill the entire space from top to bottom. Using standardized sizes always makes things cheaper. Look into project sheets. This is one of the few items that are significantly cheaper to buy from a place that routinely brings in pallets of the stuff, most of the cost of acrylic is the moving it around part, not the materials.

I like #4. You could do something like I did on my reservoirs and use 1/4" rubber top hat grommets and some elbows with clear vinyl tubing. You can see a more precise measurement with that method. I got the idea from the brewery I work at with their fermenters. I used a 1 gallon jug and poured it in one at a time and took a Sharpie to the tubing to indicate 1g increments.

0adc83a12bc71f7cee07822de4d2c3b3.jpg

cd6f2cff5ddaa90f0ccf28c361b52163.jpg

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks all for the input. I like the DIY Acrylic option, my concern is the cost effectiveness. If i went with 7 X 7 X 20, I would end up with roughly 4.25 gallons. The acrylic, weld and shipping would likely be right at $100.

I didn't see the 20" height before.
Even a $100 is high IMO.
You really should go checkout dog food storage containers. You just might be able to find a premade solution for under $20.

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See if you have a TAP plastic store near you. They might be able to sell you only what you need. Also, you don't have to fill the entire space from top to bottom. Using standardized sizes always makes things cheaper. Look into project sheets. This is one of the few items that are significantly cheaper to buy from a place that routinely brings in pallets of the stuff, most of the cost of acrylic is the moving it around part, not the materials.

I like #4. You could do something like I did on my reservoirs and use 1/4" rubber top hat grommets and some elbows with clear vinyl tubing. You can see a more precise measurement with that method. I got the idea from the brewery I work at with their fermenters. I used a 1 gallon jug and poured it in one at a time and took a Sharpie to the tubing to indicate 1g increments.

that works too. I maybe doing this with my brute rodi container when I start building my mixing station someday. lol

needbiggertanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive used the 10L Carboy in the lab and love them.

Btw the water jug i gave the pic only says BPA free, and dimensions are 5.5W x 14D x 9.5H

PaulPerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go to a Craft shop or a Home Decor shop and look for a tall thin vase that will fit in your foot print. I am assuming you currently have a small pump that is activated that pumps that water in when needed, as long as that pump fits into the vase you'd be golden. You might need to craft a "lid" for the vase out of some nice dense foam to keep airborne stuff from settling in there, but there have been tall square vases at the Home Decor store every time I have ever been in one...

OP
OP
CodyRVA

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

cd6f2cff5ddaa90f0ccf28c361b52163.jpg

I order my acrylic from Tapp, considering i'll need 6 pieces, the cost alone seems a bit much even without shipping, but I will admit I would rather have an acrylic version vs a container. That being said, some of the containers are really inexpensive... and some are very expensive lol

kevyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go to a Craft shop or a Home Decor shop and look for a tall thin vase that will fit in your foot print. I am assuming you currently have a small pump that is activated that pumps that water in when needed, as long as that pump fits into the vase you'd be golden. You might need to craft a "lid" for the vase out of some nice dense foam to keep airborne stuff from settling in there, but there have been tall square vases at the Home Decor store every time I have ever been in one...
I would second that possibility and expand on it to say the dollar store can have some decent non-lidded options. I have been frequenting them trying to find reactor containers that I can modify to grow chaeto. Alas, nothing with a lid except for a half gallon mason jar with metal lid.

OP
OP
CodyRVA

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A vase actually popped up in one of my searches, the one i found was too small, but I haven't ruled that out either. At the end of the day I don't really care what it looks like. As long as it works, its safe, not overly expensive and clear enough so I can check volume.

kevyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I order my acrylic from Tapp, considering i'll need 6 pieces, the cost alone seems a bit much even without shipping, but I will admit I would rather have an acrylic version vs a container. That being said, some of the containers are really inexpensive... and some are very expensive lol
Ill put it this way, if it were me, I would literally buy the pieces as I can afford them (there is a Tapp retail outlet next to where I have a sales route so this part is easy and I don't have to pay shipping multiple times). That way I feel like I'm making progress. Once I acquire the pieces then I put it all together and I have exactly what I want and didn't settle for anything else. I felt like I was making progress every time I get a piece of acrylic, but I don't have to fork out $100 all at once.

All that being said, mine is a Rubbermaid with a line running from the closet on the other side of the wall through a hole in my drywall so the only thing you see is a line if you really look for it.

Last edited:

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you are lucky enough to have a tap plastics store nearby, you can get scrap acrylic for cheap. cost can very easily get out of hand if you buy acrylic retail.

I built these dosing containers from $3 worth of 1/4" thick acrylic scrap from tap plastics
af69162d6400f2f0b0c854d669ff9f9b.jpg

you do need tools to cut the acrylic.
a router is your best bet. I used a 1/8" straight bit to cut the acrylic, then use a flush bit to trim the edges flush. With a router, you can get fancy and route edges for lid like this

b5236e67aae8916c4314d61a0e16db0a.jpg

and you need a bunch of clamps you can get from harbor freight. the harbor freight plunge router is what I used. I had the tools before when I built my stand.
as others said, it is not hard to do. I've never done acrylic work before.

William Norman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Word of warning about using BPA safe dog food containers. I used one for awhile and found that it was leaching into the water. I didn't notice during normal usage but found when ever I went away for more than a few days I had a lot of cyano. I finally figured out using a TDS meter that my 0 RODI water was turning into 70-100 TDS over 5 days. I switched to a glass tank and no more cyano and my water stays around 0.

mrstu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a black 10 gallon rubber garbage can. 5 bucks at walmart. Does the trick

rvlcf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an antique wine jug. It holds about 13 gallons, i think it's called a "carboy" or "Demijohn". Got it at an antique store, works great.
IMG_3524.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back