ATO Reservoir Ideas

Mark82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0A1D21A5-6272-401A-80C8-A70EA6DAA7AB.jpeg Here is my ato reservoir, a 6 gallon jug from Walmart. Last me a week. Painted flat black, it’s between the tank and electrical cabinets. I’ll post a build thread soon.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the pink color; should have taken it during the day time. Essentially, the space to the left of the dosing jugs where the random stuff is kept is where i'd like to put it; so yea... tight space. I could build a platform about 7 inches tall which would buy me an inch each way so I then could place that 8 X 8 X 13.5 inch square carboy, but i'm not entirely sold on that option as of yet.

IMG_6604.JPG
Just put those slim dosing containers behind your stand, then you have so much more room/options. Less of a hassle then trying to fit an ato res in 7x7 IMO. Just make sure you recalibrate your pumps/test regularly because that may change slightly depending on how big of a move.

Foxy-88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's how I have mine it's inside this cheap storage ottoman I got off of Amazon. Fits a 15 gallon tank perfectly and I think for the ottoman and tank cost like 40 bucks plus it makes a nice seat to stare at the tank on that side
ee6b5102c5bbb8c87c0fe121e73169e8.jpg
1ef5962748fabfd6b30d8a8e9213de18.jpg
ef597fc36eaecd1c6d2c9ad788f3d8b6.jpg

LPStandard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 10 gallon glass tank from petco
Same here. I couldn't make something fit cleanly in the stand that seemed large enough. At least the 10gal little tank on the floor looks OK next to the stand. Might have to change things up a little in the future, but it works well right now.

OP
OP
CodyRVA

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put those slim dosing containers behind your stand, then you have so much more room/options. Less of a hassle then trying to fit an ato res in 7x7 IMO. Just make sure you recalibrate your pumps/test regularly because that may change slightly depending on how big of a move.

That's the direction i'm leaning towards or find a slim fit ATO jug that will fit behind the stand... either way, one in the same.

Reef Box

Shoulder Deep in Saltwater.......Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with a Vittles Vault for mine. It used to be in the house so I bought a cheap night stand that it would fit inside and modified the top to lift up for access super clean and easy to refill. Holds about 10 gal and more than enough for well over a week for me.

tony'stank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 6 gallon water container from Walmart. It is in the camping section and is food safe. It is tall and narrow enough to fit behind my tank

OP
OP
CodyRVA

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i move my dosing jugs i'll have 7 inches wide, 13.5 inches long and 27 inches of height available vs the 7 X 7 X 27 with the dosing jugs in their current location.

Purpletank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all! So, basically the home depot bucket in the living room isn't the most appealing thing to look at. If I can get a small container under my stand, understanding i'm sacrificing total volume, I would like to see what's out there. If I can't find or make something i'll leave the bucket. I'm limited on space with just 7 X 7 X 27 inches of space. I could make a tall cube acrylic container, but would love to find something I can drop in there.

It's an 80G system so I really don't need the full 5 gallons I get now with the HD bucket, I'd be willing to go down to 2.5-3 G.

I do use two brute trash can's for water storage, but seeing as I rent and I keep them in the garage; I have no way of getting the water from the garage into the living room, thus the need for the home depot bucket.
Our LFS sells 2.5g water totes that are s nice size. I use one of those for an ATO container. They are as tall as the 5g ones I think (I’m not home to check) and half as wide. I just drop a small Tunze ATO pump in and voila!

OP
OP
CodyRVA

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, if I move my dosers behind my stand, I have exactly enough room for this reservoir... trying to resist. A few things I didn't consider when reservoir hunting was; 1. if I can see into the jug, someone in this thread brought this to my attention and 2. how much of a pain is it to fill. I can definitely buy a jerry can, but what a pain in the butt it must be to top one of those off compared to my 5 gallon home depot bucket I have now. At least with one of these reservoirs I can see my water level and i can still fill it without too much trouble.

Anyone have algae issues with these clear reservoirs?

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/crystal-ato-5-gallon-trigger-systems.html

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back