Ato siphon break help

mbressler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. I need a little advice on if I need a siphon break or not for my ato. I’ve read some conflicting things so hopefully you guys can give me a clarity. My reservoir water level is higher than the spot where the tubing feeds into the sump. That being said, the ato pump is located lower than the where the tubing deposits into the sump. So do I actually need a siphon break? Attached is a video of my setup. The ato reservoir is in the white cabinet, and then the tubing feeds into the black cabinet where the sump is located. Any help is really appreciated! Oh and pay no attention to the arguing kids and baby in the background.

OP
OP
mbressler

mbressler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your feed tube is submerged in water in your sump, then you will need a siphon break.
It is not. The feed tubing is clasped into the side of the sump and is not submerged in the water in the sump. Does this mean I do not need the siphon break?

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct you dont, as that air gap is the break. however, make sure to never get that tube submerged.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct you dont, as that air gap is the break. however, make sure to never get that tube submerged.
It can’t back siphon if the end isn’t submerged but it can absolutely siphon in the normal direction of flow.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like @KStatefan said if your tubing output is lower than the reservoir water level it will siphon. Assuming you are using a normal pump and not something unusually like a peristaltic pump which prevents a siphon when working properly.

OP
OP
mbressler

mbressler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like @KStatefan said if your tubing output is lower than the reservoir water level it will siphon. Assuming you are using a normal pump and not something unusually like a peristaltic pump which prevents a siphon when working properly.
Thanks I appreciate all the info guys. Sounds like I need the siphon break. Kinda a bummer because I don’t really have any room for it in the reservoir, but I’ll have to install the break and just not fill up the reservoir to the full 20 gal capacity

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
disregard...wrong post

1708653466570.png

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I appreciate all the info guys. Sounds like I need the siphon break. Kinda a bummer because I don’t really have any room for it in the reservoir, but I’ll have to install the break and just not fill up the reservoir to the full 20 gal capacity
I don’t know if it’s possible for your setup but an easy way to prevent a siphon is to have your ATO tube go into a larger pipe higher in the air and let the larger pipe direct the water down. As long as your ATO output is above the reservoir water level and has an air gap between it and the bigger pipe it will prevent a siphon. Also, remember an anti siphon valve won’t work because you are trying to prevent siphon in the normal direction of flow.
Since my description may not be clear here is a picture I found from another user on the forum that shows it. You can see how their ATO tube ends above the ATO water level and was put into a bigger tube that is big enough to have air space between the ATO tube and the bigger one.
IMG_0840.jpeg

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
disregard...wrong post

1708653466570.png

This will only work from syphoning back if your return was submerged, but it still does not solve the OP's original problem with the ATO being higher then the Sump, and the ATO siphoning all its contents to the sump, as the direction of water was never reversed which a check valve would save you from.

:loudly-crying-face:

The only way to do it without doing it the way Gtinnel states, is to use a OG float valve, with somewhere to mount it on, that way the valve will SHUT once the water level gets to a certain height, and sphyon will be blocked. You can use 2 pieces of long acrylic and have the hole in both to slip the black ntp to make a form of clamp. Then have them sandwitch the outter rim using the grey thread nut as a clamp.

The float valve can then be adjusted to the height of the water level to shut when its reached like your RO/DI storage container.
float.JPG

Or you can just buy a APEX ATK, as it has that unit on a nice magnetic holder even.
If you have not bought your ATO yet.

atk.JPG

Last edited:

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if it’s possible for your setup but an easy way to prevent a siphon is to have your ATO tube go into a larger pipe higher in the air and let the larger pipe direct the water down. As long as your ATO output is above the reservoir water level and has an air gap between it and the bigger pipe it will prevent a siphon. Also, remember an anti siphon valve won’t work because you are trying to prevent siphon in the normal direction of flow.
Since my description may not be clear here is a picture I found from another user on the forum that shows it. You can see how their ATO tube ends above the ATO water level and was put into a bigger tube that is big enough to have air space between the ATO tube and the bigger one.
IMG_0840.jpeg
I made something similar to be used with a 1/4" RODI tube.

20240307_211100.jpg

I put it at the highest point of where the water would go in the reservoir...

Last edited:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made something similar to be used with a 1/4" RODI tube.

I put it at the highest point of where the water would go in the reservoir...
Seems like an interesting design that accomplishes the same goal. I just zip tied a piece of pvc pip on the side of my return line then put the ATO line in the top of it. It may not be as elegant as yours but both ways still work.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like an interesting design that accomplishes the same goal. I just zip tied a piece of pvc pip on the side of my return line then put the ATO line in the top of it. It may not be as elegant as yours but both ways still work.
Exactly. Same outcome, different approach.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 142 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.4%
Back