ATO systems... full circle

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many years ago, before commercial ATO systems were available, I connected my RO/DI system to a float valve in my (Rubbermaid) sump. Worked pretty well. Only issue I ever had with that system was the less than reliable Auto Shut Off Valve (ASOV) the RO/DI system relied on. They haven't changed much... today's ASOV's look like they could have come from the same box as the one that first quit on me in about 1995. Didn't cause a flood, but it _did_ keep running waste water through my RO system and down the drain. I didn't know about it until we found that my water usage had more than doubled. Lesson learned, don't trust them.

Over the decades, I've had about every kind of ATO system you might imagine. A few years back, with my 60g cube, I had an EShopps sump with a built in float valve... I bought a 5g reservoir, and refilled it manually, with a hand valve and another float valve. Not ideal, but it worked.

For my new 140g peninsula, I bought a Tunze 3155. Expensive solution, but hey, if that's what it takes... I plumbed it to my EShopps 5g reservoir. Had to refill about every other day. Manual refill just isn't going to work. Wired up a fairly elaborate refill system using float valves, a 120VAC solenoid, and the DIY breakout box on my Apex. Low level opened solenoid, high level shut it off... mechanical float valve backed that up, and a timer let me know if something weird happened.

Worked great, for a few months... EBay solenoid failed. Bought one from AirWaterIce. That one lasted a few months, and it too failed. Bought yet another 120VAC solenoid, and it, too, failed. Unacceptable.

So, Black friday, Tunze stuff on sale, I picked up the Tunze solenoid, and eliminated the 5g reservoir entirely. Back to running straight from the RO/DI to the sump. I plumbed in a mechanical float valve that would stop the flow if the sump level went an inch or so over normal. Good enough... or so I thought. Within weeks, I was having problems again.

My RO/DI system is slow. It's a known issue... we're on a well, and our well flow is limited. Anyway, eventually, the RO system exceeded the max run timer on the Tunze ATO system, which shut off the solenoid and started the alarm. It's in a closet... I didn't notice until my return pump started sucking air.

Ugh.

A few days ago, I turned off the Tunze ATO system entirely, pulled the Tunze solenoid out of the loop, and hooked up the RO/DI output directly to the float valve. Lowered it to keep the water where I wanted it, and called it good.

Right back where I started, two decades ago.

I already have a high sump sensor switch tied to the Apex. If the water level hits that, it was already emailing me, and shutting off the skimmer. That's my fail safe... if the float valve gets stuck, it'll hit that dry level sensor and email me. Wish I could do something to shut off the flow, but I just don't trust these cheap 120VAC solenoid valves. I guess I'll have to live with it.

BRS showed a device in one of their videos on a direct RO/DI ATO system that closed a quarter inch valve when it sensed water... If I could put something like that into the loop, it might help me sleep better... anyone remember what the name of that gizmo was?

Brad Miller

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is failing ?
Fail, meaning the only thing is that water leaks through the valve seat ?
If so...The valve could be taken apart and cleaned or, on well water, I would suggest installing a small wye strainer, right before the valve, that you can open and clean out periodically.

Brad Miller

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is failing ?
Fail, meaning the only thing is that water leaks through the valve seat ?
If so...The valve could be taken apart and cleaned or, on well water, I would suggest installing a small wye strainer, right before the valve, that you can open and clean out periodically.

Nothing... to this point, but every mechanical system will fail eventually. From past experience, I'd guess a small snail in the valve seat would be the most probable cause of failure. Shouldn't be anything in the RO/DI output that would cause the valve to fail... but as I said, eventually, everything fails. My goal is to know that a single point of failure isn't going to take my tank out.

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use these Asco general purpose valves for water and air, this one is 24v but you can. It whatever you want.
I use these with strainers before them.
I can clean the strainer and these valves are very easily taken apart and put back together after flushing them out if need be.
https://www.zoro.com/asco-solenoid-valve-brass-nc-air-inert-gas-8262h002/i/G3929947/?q=G3929947

I think I mis-understood your comment... you mean what failed on the solenoid valves? Stuck open. All three of them. Water passing a valve that is not energized. I did not disassemble or attempt to repair... if a solenoid isn't capable of running without repair for even a few months, well, I don't want it in my system. Shouldn't have been anything in the water... it's just been through an RO/DI filter.

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assumed you were installing a solenoid valve before the rodi unit
Nope.

RO uses a permeate pump as an ASOV. Much more reliable, increases exit pressure... I highly recommend them.

RO system feeds my drinking water faucet, ice maker, etc. Can't start/stop it based on tank demand.

Brad Miller

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhhh, I think I understand your setup now.
You need one valve after the rodi for your tank, plastic is unreliable and cheap at best.
Stainless steel body and seat is what your looking for then...rodi won't hurt that valve at all

Brad Miller

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have and still service many industrial rodi systems on very small to very large power plant ones and stainless is alway specified and installed since rodi can harm stainless...it's about the only thing for rodi in any industrial application

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if anyone has taken a look at these solenoid valves? Right now I have a 20 gallon ATO container which feeds an avast diaphragm pump and it's worked very well with the apex high/low controller, but I'm getting about ready to replace the diaphragm pump and wondering if a couple of inline redundant solenoids may be a better solution. It sounds like they can be hit or miss long term. At least with a diaphragm pump at worse I know I'm low on water when the pump sucks dry, no floods.

http://autotopoff.com/Solenoids/index.html

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 44 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 158 73.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.7%
Back