Back at it! Peroxide vrs cyanobacteria

Status
Not open for further replies.

mswatk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st time to reply but have followed this thread for a while. THANK YOU!!!!! Was having major problems and started to dose H2O2 and now no problems, Tank is clear no spikes and zero problems with corals, zoas closed for a few minutes each dose and then back open and happy. Took only a few weeks.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An Oxydator works just as effectively and far less risk. I have used peroxide for years both directly to the aquarium and via an Oxydator and IME the use of the Oxydator is not only safer but a more controlled way to add peroxide as it's broken down in the Oxydator before it enters the water raising the redox.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed they work well on cyano but not all other invaders some invasions require the higher percentage runs. They aren't equal in ability to fix tanks but the OD is safer, has no known sensitives whereas liquid p sure does.

for example there are a thousand dino cures using liquid p and not any for oxydators we have in threads...same for invasive caulerpa, bryopsis, a few others. But for cyano, I'd agree the OD is safer and possibly as effective.

Until people setup invasion cure threads using only OD we are missing critical data for analysis

mswatk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have read about an oxydator and I tend to agree but finding one for sale that is not a mini for a small cube or a w for a pond has proven difficult so far. I will find one someday but decided to try over the counter H2O2 3% for the major problem I was having it worked great. Long term may be a different story but I'm very happy with the results so far.

aquaman33431

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would be really exciting if it worked on green star polys, but then again I'd have to spot treat half my tank;(

cowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So day 10 H2O2
Like before everything is looking great no new algae growth hair algae still dying off, and all the livestock is still looking really happy.
Water Quality
Ca 455
Mg 1480
Dkh 7.8
Po4 .2
No3 .2
Ammonia not detected
Ph 8.35
S.G. 1.025
20160412_203116.jpg

cj in sac ca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
I am more gearing this to tank wide cyanobacteria solution
Gonna have to try I have a 90 gallon fish only that has several spots of cano and a ton of hair that is just taking over my tank. In my 30 reef I had a cano outbreak but left the lights off for almost a week and when I came back from vacation it was all gone. Sadly though after two days it's coming back now that my lights are on. Is this method safe for green star polyps and Zoas?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed they work well on cyano but not all other invaders some invasions require the higher percentage runs. They aren't equal in ability to fix tanks but the OD is safer, has no known sensitives whereas liquid p sure does.

for example there are a thousand dino cures using liquid p and not any for oxydators we have in threads...same for invasive caulerpa, bryopsis, a few others. But for cyano, I'd agree the OD is safer and possibly as effective.

Until people setup invasion cure threads using only OD we are missing critical data for analysis
Sorry I should have been more specific, Yes for Cyno the Oxydator will work but depending on various factors can take a little time. However for the likes of invasive higher algaes like Caulerpa using safe levels of peroxide it will not do much to eradicate them. The jury is out regarding it's use to help rid troublesome GHA however. There is some suggestion that an Oxydator can assist perhaps buy helping to reduce it's food source.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's most stand out character is no known sensitives, that's an amazing action of that little catalyst such that people use oxydators in freshwater bee shrimp tanks worth thousands. Little shrimp some worth a hundred or better are perched right on top of the unit. I wish they would build a clear acrylic one for better visual appeal vs opaque colors

The oxydator is relevant here because it's a chem modulator for in-tank use and for sure is safe and has readable history for 20+ yrs

Just now in between posting I took a video of me taking my little old reef apart, setting rocks and coral on the counter, and blast cleaning my whole entire sandbed for ten minutes with a mixture of water and peroxide 3% and 35% as wall wipe down. Detritus, gone. Final rinse was saltwater.

All at once for fifteen minutes attack

The whole reef was redone shiny new, corals opened within ten mins and they were cold from sitting on my counter....cold. Zero temp acclimation.

I believe what I'm editing to post will video demo the harshest treatment seen for a living reef tank of any size, it doesn't recycle because:
Brief tap rinse of sand only doesn't sterilize, our taps pump out live bacteria all the time. (Controlled dwell time)
Brief peroxide rinse to dislodge biofilm off sand grains isn't complete, bac are left but most brown scums are gone
No detritus was left in the system

This was done to my little tiny tank to show that bacteria do not get killed off by harsh tank work. And because last five months=lazy export.

I worked with peroxide and generalized aerobic bacteria + others in a microbiology lab in a beef processing plant... peroxide was our boot wash consideration for a while and we abandoned it for a chemical called poly quat because peroxide was a poor disinfectant unless at high/unsafe percentages. Getting bacteria to die on a microscope slide due to peroxide simply doesn't correlate to bacterial action in the reef tank from peroxide, or on scummy boot bottoms which track e coli/listeria all over the place.

Last edited:

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW there is no reason you can't use an Oxydator W meant for ponds in a large tank of 100 gallons plus. I know a number of people who run the W model in their large systems in the sump.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna have to try I have a 90 gallon fish only that has several spots of cano and a ton of hair that is just taking over my tank. In my 30 reef I had a cano outbreak but left the lights off for almost a week and when I came back from vacation it was all gone. Sadly though after two days it's coming back now that my lights are on. Is this method safe for green star polyps and Zoas?
This is safe for gsp and zoanthids

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to mention so far all the samples sent to me from members are conclusive for cyanobacteria
This has opened my eyes seeing the large scale problem of cyanobacteria in our reef tanks.
Here is a question to following members..
How long have you been battling this problem?
All readers input helps me to put this together
A 2 week cure

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to mention so far all the samples sent to me from members are conclusive for cyanobacteria
This has opened my eyes seeing the large scale problem of cyanobacteria in our reef tanks.
Here is a question to following members..
How long have you been battling this problem?
All readers input helps me to put this together
A 2 week cure
Late December/early January, also just under my t5s and not my leds.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we go me and Todd have started a video series where we discuss problems in the Reef tank. The first episode is the Why? of Cyanobacteria.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also can members tell me what methods you used to help combat the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back