Back in the Game

Raineforrest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

My husband and I had a saltwater tank in our early 20s and needless to say, we did not know much about having a tank. We were young and there was not an abundance of information available like there is today. We would routinely bring back finds from the beach and introduce them into our tank not knowing the damage that we were causing. Our tank eventually tanked and we took it down.

We are both disabled now with multiple health problems and spend a lot of time in the house so I thought it might be a good idea to set up a tank that we could enjoy. My husband immediately decided that he wanted to go for the gold and set up a saltwater tank.

I have been doing research everyday and I'm so happy to have found this forum. We will probably be collecting pieces as we go and learn what we need. I have a pretty good idea of the basics and just have to pick out the proper equipment on a budget. So far I found a 46 gallon bow front with stand that I picked up for $125.

I have recently learned what a sump is and decided that might be too intricate for us to build at this time. So we are picked up a HOB Marineland

Bio-Wheel Emperor 400 Aquarium Power Filter, 80-gal​

for $80. We inherited a Reef Octopus skimmer with the setup but I'm not quite sure about it yet. I've been checking out skimmers online but a lot of the reviews for the affordable ones are not great.

I'm still deciding on lights and powerheads. I've also been checking out the dry rock and researching how to cycle the tank. My husband has picked out some live sand that I have yet to purchase. I'm still trying to figure out how to start this off properly.

I also have an old 30 gal that I have been contemplating on setting up as a frag tank. I would really like to have some nice corals. I think I'm more into the corals and the hubby is all about the fish. I'm hoping it will all come together eventually.

Thanks for having me! And if anyone has any ideas to throw at me as far as setup or reefing on a budget, I would love to hear them!

20240409_221542.jpg 20240409_221600.jpg 20240421_023729.jpg 20240421_023738.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

My husband and I had a saltwater tank in our early 20s and needless to say, we did not know much about having a tank. We were young and there was not an abundance of information available like there is today. We would routinely bring back finds from the beach and introduce them into our tank not knowing the damage that we were causing. Our tank eventually tanked and we took it down.

We are both disabled now with multiple health problems and spend a lot of time in the house so I thought it might be a good idea to set up a tank that we could enjoy. My husband immediately decided that he wanted to go for the gold and set up a saltwater tank.

I have been doing research everyday and I'm so happy to have found this forum. We will probably be collecting pieces as we go and learn what we need. I have a pretty good idea of the basics and just have to pick out the proper equipment on a budget. So far I found a 46 gallon bow front with stand that I picked up for $125.

I have recently learned what a sump is and decided that might be too intricate for us to build at this time. So we are picked up a HOB Marineland

Bio-Wheel Emperor 400 Aquarium Power Filter, 80-gal​

for $80. We inherited a Reef Octopus skimmer with the setup but I'm not quite sure about it yet. I've been checking out skimmers online but a lot of the reviews for the affordable ones are not great.

I'm still deciding on lights and powerheads. I've also been checking out the dry rock and researching how to cycle the tank. My husband has picked out some live sand that I have yet to purchase. I'm still trying to figure out how to start this off properly.

I also have an old 30 gal that I have been contemplating on setting up as a frag tank. I would really like to have some nice corals. I think I'm more into the corals and the hubby is all about the fish. I'm hoping it will all come together eventually.

Thanks for having me! And if anyone has any ideas to throw at me as far as setup or reefing on a budget, I would love to hear them!

20240409_221542.jpg 20240409_221600.jpg 20240421_023729.jpg 20240421_023738.jpg
Welcome to R2R! You are well on the way! I have almost the extent up except my tank is a 90 gallon. I have that bio wheel filter, I also have a reef octopus skimmer. Mine is the HOB 2000. They are GREAT skimmers for sure. I also use a Oase 600 biomaster canister filter. You will be fine and you are in the right place on this forum. The people here are amazing. Good luck with your build. I will be following. Can’t wait to see progress

OP
OP
Raineforrest

Raineforrest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! You are well on the way! I have almost the extent up except my tank is a 90 gallon. I have that bio wheel filter, I also have a reef octopus skimmer. Mine is the HOB 2000. They are GREAT skimmers for sure. I also use a Oase 600 biomaster canister filter. You will be fine and you are in the right place on this forum. The people here are amazing. Good luck with your build. I will be following. Can’t wait to see progress
Thank you so much!

OP
OP
Raineforrest

Raineforrest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome back. should be easier this time around. so much more available info.
Thank you! I am so excited but I'm not going to rush anything. I want to make sure I do this right. I was doing some more research last night and now I'm reconsidering that sump. Lol.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 30.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back