0   0   0
IMG_6221.gif

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I am so excited but I'm not going to rush anything. I want to make sure I do this right. I was doing some more research last night and now I'm reconsidering that sump. Lol.
I think a sump might be easier. you can get more media and stuff in too. and its a place to banish the bad inhabitants.

OP
OP
Raineforrest

Raineforrest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a sump might be easier. you can get more media and stuff in too. and its a place to banish the bad inhabitants.
I must admit I was a little overwhelmed with the whole plumbing thing at first. But I think I've sorta got it worked out in my head after looking through the forum and doing some research on what I need. I think I can probably figure it out. My confidence level has been restored.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! It looks like you have a good start. I've had many successful tanks with not much more than a HOB filter and HOB skimmer for filtration. Reef Octopus is a good brand, I'm sure the skimmer will be fine. You mentioned being disabled, depending on your challenges it may be easier for you to stay with HOB equipment unless you can have the sump at a nice working level. Just a thought. The other option if you want to avoid HOB gear is to use an AIO insert in the tank. An AIO tank is basically a tank and sump in one with the sump either behind, beside, or in the case of the insert, within the display area. I have trouble working down low for extended periods so I have an AIO tank that allows me to stand for most routine tasks.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

OP
OP
Raineforrest

Raineforrest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! It looks like you have a good start. I've had many successful tanks with not much more than a HOB filter and HOB skimmer for filtration. Reef Octopus is a good brand, I'm sure the skimmer will be fine. You mentioned being disabled, depending on your challenges it may be easier for you to stay with HOB equipment unless you can have the sump at a nice working level. Just a thought. The other option if you want to avoid HOB gear is to use an AIO insert in the tank. An AIO tank is basically a tank and sump in one with the sump either behind, beside, or in the case of the insert, within the display area. I have trouble working down low for extended periods so I have an AIO tank that allows me to stand for most routine tasks.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg
Thank you for the welcome and your insight. I have had multiple back surgeries so you make a good point there. Bending and squatting are sometimes difficult depending on the day. And I definitely can't do it for extended periods of time. I will take a look at the AIO inserts as well. I appreciate all of the suggestions. I feel a little better knowing that you have had success with the HOB.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back