Back in the hobby after 15 years.

24gallonstofreedom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My life has finally settled down enough to make a spur of the moment decision to get back in the hobby after disguising my intentions as a 'Christmas present for the kids'.

In the early 2000s in worked in a LFS for a few years and had some pretty impressive tanks. Now that I am back I have realized how much time has changed the hobby and there's a lot to re-learn. I've also realized that without my employee discount, things are pretty dang expensive!

My spur of the moment purchase was a used 24g, all in one cube (I forget the brand). I will be adding a small skimmer if I can make it fit and will ride this one out until I can convince the wife to splurge on a Red Sea Reefer Max 350 to use as a showcase piece in our entry way.

My plan is to have a mainly LPS and zoo/ricordia dominated tank with a RBTA and a pair of clowns.

I've set up an instagram @24gallonstofreedom and will be mostly documenting the journey on there. I will set up a build thread on here as well.

Anyway, looking forward to jumping right back in!

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My life has finally settled down enough to make a spur of the moment decision to get back in the hobby after disguising my intentions as a 'Christmas present for the kids'.

In the early 2000s in worked in a LFS for a few years and had some pretty impressive tanks. Now that I am back I have realized how much time has changed the hobby and there's a lot to re-learn. I've also realized that without my employee discount, things are pretty dang expensive!

My spur of the moment purchase was a used 24g, all in one cube (I forget the brand). I will be adding a small skimmer if I can make it fit and will ride this one out until I can convince the wife to splurge on a Red Sea Reefer Max 350 to use as a showcase piece in our entry way.

My plan is to have a mainly LPS and zoo/ricordia dominated tank with a RBTA and a pair of clowns.

I've set up an instagram @24gallonstofreedom and will be mostly documenting the journey on there. I will set up a build thread on here as well.

Anyway, looking forward to jumping right back in!
Welcome to Reef2Reef! Good too hear your back!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be OK. The only fundamental changes to the hobby since you have been gone are the introduction of an accuate po4 tester in the Hannah Ultra Low and more good foods with fatty acids and vitamins like Mysis and many different kinds of pellets. You don't HAVE to use zoe or selcon anymore on your foods.

The rest is all different ways to do the same things... a few are better, most the same but different and some are worse.

Chemistry and biology has not changed.

The hobby has come around on live rock again - avoid dry/dead unless you want a whole new bunch of challenges that you might not have had again. Spend the extra up front and just buy some real ocean live rock... especially since it will not take very much in a small tank.

OP
OP

24gallonstofreedom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

The tank is cycled and we added our first fish, a pair of clowns from Clownfish Corral.

I will start a build thread once things liven up again.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Attachments

• DSC03602-Enhanced-NR-2.jpg
    DSC03602-Enhanced-NR-2.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 14

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

The tank is cycled and we added our first fish, a pair of clowns from Clownfish Corral.

I will start a build thread once things liven up again.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Those are beauties!

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back. You're funny if you ever thought you could leave. If you decide to use dry rock leaving again will be an easy decision.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back