Bacteria bloom, questionable advise

TheTruTaric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, my tank for 2 months now has had diatoms, I cant rid of them however 1 week ago I got a MAJOR bacteria bloom, it's so bad I cant see 1/2 into my reef tank. I'm scared for my fish and corals. I'm prepared to buy this temporary in tank uv filter Coospider sun Jup-01. besides feeding more.

Questionable advice?

My lFS did not suggest a UV light. instead, they gave me a product called MicroBacteria7,
a product that reduces ammonia/nitrate/nitrite, not sure why i need that as i have 0ppm within each category and my tank is 3 months old so i feel likes its cycled.
should i return this product, could it possibly help me.
Sincerely appreciative,

Tru

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I really was interested by the title too. How many gallons is the tank total

Fully agree all three month tanks are cycled for those params, nice call

Where the real fun would be is if your tests hadn't agreed

Hoping the tank isn't huge, there's special tricks to manage small tank expected uglies

OP
OP
TheTruTaric

TheTruTaric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I really was interested by the title too. How many gallons is the tank total

Fully agree all three month tanks are cycled for those params, nice call

Where the real fun would be is if your tests hadn't agreed

Hoping the tank isn't huge, there's special tricks to manage small tank expected uglies
So my tank is a 24x24x18 "cube"

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, my tank for 2 months now has had diatoms, I cant rid of them however 1 week ago I got a MAJOR bacteria bloom, it's so bad I cant see 1/2 into my reef tank. I'm scared for my fish and corals. I'm prepared to buy this temporary in tank uv filter Coospider sun Jup-01. besides feeding more.

Questionable advice?

My lFS did not suggest a UV light. instead, they gave me a product called MicroBacteria7,
a product that reduces ammonia/nitrate/nitrite, not sure why i need that as i have 0ppm within each category and my tank is 3 months old so i feel likes its cycled.
should i return this product, could it possibly help me.
Sincerely appreciative,

Tru

Horrible advice from lfs. A UV would and should make short work of cloudy bacterial bloom. Alot of new start up tanks experience cloudy water. Not sure why but I've never seen a cloudy water episode a UV couldn't dispose of in 48hrs

OP
OP
TheTruTaric

TheTruTaric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Horrible advice from lfs. A UV would and should make short work of cloudy bacterial bloom. Alot of new start up tanks experience cloudy water. Not sure why but I've never seen a cloudy water episode a UV couldn't dispose of in 48hrs
Thank you so much for your response, I cant articulate how appreciative I am. ill go order mine soon as possible, and I hope they take my return. in the meantime will my fish be ok?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bac they're recommending is likely a dual use cycler plus sludge digester (claimed on bottle not sure how well they are at the cleaning job)

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for your response, I cant articulate how appreciative I am. ill go order mine soon as possible, and I hope they take my return. in the meantime will my fish be ok?
Corals should be fine. I have seen cloudy water stress fish but not harm them. Best best would be to check out Amazon and see if you can get same day or 2 day shipping. Im hearing good things about Jeboa UV sterilizer and they are super affordable.

OP
OP
TheTruTaric

TheTruTaric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals should be fine. I have seen cloudy water stress fish but not harm them. Best best would be to check out Amazon and see if you can get same day or 2 day shipping. Im hearing good things about Jeboa UV sterilizer and they are super affordable.
i just ordered mine and amazon for free offered me overnight shipping.... they say it will get here between 4-8 am lol and its 9pm for me not sure how they will do it but ill see

FourPawz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. How did this work out for you? Can you give a little update? I am considering the JUP-01 type to help clear my water from a bloom that is going on two weeks now. tia

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 166 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back