Bacterial bloom??

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
moved my tank, added live sand, and then added the water, it was cloudy, then I thought it was sand so I did a water change because it needed it anyway, and it’s been like this for 5 hours now bubbles and all. The fish is still in its bag and cooler, is it safe to add to the tank or do I have to leave him overnight… I feel like I need to get it in the tank. Is it a bacterial bloom and how does it go away? Undetectable ammonia

image.jpg
image.jpg

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the onset was instant, it’s not a bacterial bloom. You probably just need to let it settle or if in a hurry add a flocculent. As for the fish I would not leave them bagged over night. If they were mine they would be in the tank.
Do you mind explaining what is a flocculent?

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mind explaining what is a flocculent?
It makes little things clump into big things. At that point the skimmer or filter should grab it or it will drop out of suspension. Most common thing to use that you might have sitting around is calcium carbonate.

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It makes little things clump into big things. At that point the skimmer or filter should grab it or it will drop out of suspension. Most common thing to use that you might have sitting around is calcium carbonate.
I have filter socks, chemipure, and cheato in the back. I also have kalkwasser on hand? Not sure what to do

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have filter socks, chemipure, and cheato in the back. I also have kalkwasser on hand? Not sure what to do

What you’re seeing is very small particulate. Probably around 5-100um. Your filter sock is probably something like 100 or 200um so it’s not going to be very effective at capturing. Think N95/KN95 and Covid :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Give it a few days. It should settle out. You will need to clean your glass and blow off rocks a few times once it does though.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is no Ammonia measurable, acclimate the fish and then put them in the tank.

Wait out the cloudiness - it will go away over a few days.

Keep a close eye on ammonia levels and have water change water on hand just in case.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
moved my tank, added live sand, and then added the water, it was cloudy, then I thought it was sand so I did a water change because it needed it anyway, and it’s been like this for 5 hours now bubbles and all. The fish is still in its bag and cooler, is it safe to add to the tank or do I have to leave him overnight… I feel like I need to get it in the tank. Is it a bacterial bloom and how does it go away? Undetectable ammonia

image.jpg
image.jpg
The tank my have excess phosphate and possible bloom and if this developed, question is what changed such as flow, filters, and are those socks in each corner upside down?
Often blooms start when bacterial colonies generate and becomes suspended in the tank and then grows so quick making them more visible causing the water to look milky/hazy in appearance due to an elevation of nitrates and phosphates.
Also using nopox can trigger this

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank my have excess phosphate and possible bloom and if this developed, question is what changed such as flow, filters, and are those socks in each corner upside down?
Often blooms start when bacterial colonies generate and becomes suspended in the tank and then grows so quick making them more visible causing the water to look milky/hazy in appearance due to an elevation of nitrates and phosphates.
I moved the tank kept all the water the same, then added 20lbs of live sand after the move which is why I think it’s bacterial because usually the sand settles after a few hours. The dragonet has been in a bag now for 5 hours we think it’s safe to put in as long as it’s monitored? And should I have the pumps on or just let it sit?

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you’re seeing is very small particulate. Probably around 5-100um. Your filter sock is probably something like 100 or 200um so it’s not going to be very effective at capturing. Think N95/KN95 and Covid :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Give it a few days. It should settle out. You will need to clean your glass and blow off rocks a few times once it does though.
I have N95 on hand, put one over the filter sock? :face-with-tears-of-joy:

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved the tank kept all the water the same, then added 20lbs of live sand after the move which is why I think it’s bacterial because usually the sand settles after a few hours. The dragonet has been in a bag now for 5 hours we think it’s safe to put in as long as it’s monitored? And should I have the pumps on or just let it sit?
Does the salinity in the bag match the salinity of the tank? If yes, temp acclimate only.

If salinity is different you will need to acclimate depending on how much difference.

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the salinity in the bag match the salinity of the tank? If yes, temp acclimate only.

If salinity is different you will need to acclimate depending on how much difference.
Salinity is same, it’s all the same tank water I’ve been using for 3 weeks now

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It may be the sand itself in lieu of bacterial afterall.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be the sand itself in lieu of bacterial afterall.
Yep, I think it's just dust from the new bags of 'live' sand.

I think the OP should still keep a close eye on Ammonia in case there is some die off over the next few days and do water changes if necessary.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't a bacterial bloom or an algea bloom. You need to read. OP added sand. This is the result of very fine particles. A five micron sock or polyfilter will remove it.

FMF0331

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I added live sand ( Carib_sea ) to my frag tank it did the same thing, but inside the bag of live sand there was a little packet of CaribSea water clarifier. Added that to the tank and I had clear water within 2 hours.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back