Please need help!!!!

ryrybeanie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my 75 about 2 months ago have done water changes every week. 25% max. I am getting this cloudy milky water. I know they say bacterial bloom but I am not sure. I had an issue with micro bubbles. I have a fluval 407 and was trying to use a sow-8. I can not figure out how to clear my water. Done multiple changes. Please any advise would be appreciated. Do I need the sow8?

image.jpg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my 75 about 2 months ago have done water changes every week. 25% max. I am getting this cloudy milky water. I know they say bacterial bloom but I am not sure. I had an issue with micro bubbles. I have a fluval 407 and was trying to use a sow-8. I can not figure out how to clear my water. Done multiple changes. Please any advise would be appreciated. Do I need the sow8?

image.jpg
Time usually clears it up. How long has it been going on? You can add a UV sterilizer if you think it's an issue though.

Upvote 0

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You need the sow 8 to circulate air into the tank. If you have an air stone and pump add it! A bacterial bloom will clear in time, but it can suffocate your fish.

Upvote 0

Tomb85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I had the same issue when setting up a tank with a canister filter. Add a wave maker aim it up to the surface to the water to help with water agitation. I think mine lasted around 2 weeks got better day by day but slow process. Don't add anymore live stock till gone and keep cleaning the filter every week and clean it in tank water that your removed when doing water change to keep the good bacteria alive. Hopefully this helps you.

Upvote 0

betareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my 75 about 2 months ago have done water changes every week. 25% max. I am getting this cloudy milky water. I know they say bacterial bloom but I am not sure.

Do you use any fine filtering material? You know the stuff like the good old filter wool. I had times when adding a wad of filter wool to the coarser filter material in my filter, clarified a tank that was a bit stubborn about clearing.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

ryrybeanie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time usually clears it up. How long has it been going on? You can add a UV sterilizer if you think it's an issue though.
Thank you I am not sure it is an issue yet. I never hit this issue on my other three tanks. Right now I got a nitrate spike from whatever is going on in there

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

ryrybeanie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need the sow 8 to circulate air into the tank. If you have an air stone and pump add it! A bacterial bloom will clear in time, but it can suffocate your fish.
Should I relocate my clowns for now? I have my SOW 8 pointed towards to top but I keep getting an issue with micro bubbles as well. I have checked all my connections on my Fluval 407 canister filter and everything is seated and sealed properly. I also wonder if I have dirty sand still

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

ryrybeanie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I had the same issue when setting up a tank with a canister filter. Add a wave maker aim it up to the surface to the water to help with water agitation. I think mine lasted around 2 weeks got better day by day but slow process. Don't add anymore live stock till gone and keep cleaning the filter every week and clean it in tank water that your removed when doing water change to keep the good bacteria alive. Hopefully this helps you.
Thank you for the info. I saw some additive from Fluval called Bio Clear. Is it worth trying this? I have a spike in my nitrates and want to make sure I don't kill my clowns. I did a deep cleaning of the tank. I am going to do a 25 percent water change today. The other issue is that when I run my SOW-8 along with my Fluval 407 I am getting a micro bubble issue causing the water to look dirty as well. Should I strip the whole thing down and do like a 70 percent water change? I have been vacuuming continuously as well.

Upvote 0

Tomb85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much of your sand bed did you clean? Rule of thumb is you split the sand bed into 8 sections a do a section each water change as doing to much at once can lead to bacteria blooms.

Upvote 0

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too clean likely not much to feed your micro process friends
Stop the water changes, daily dose bacteria and a dash of phyto
Feed your friends

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

image.jpg
While this does settle - What filter(s) are you using?
Is this a reef ready tank with overflow or standard tank with hang on filter?

Upvote 0

Wayofthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image.jpg
I had this issue pretty badly when I started as well.. i ordered a cheap pump and a cheap UV sterilizer off amazon and put them both directly in the display and ran it for a week and it was crystal when it was done

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you for the info. I saw some additive from Fluval called Bio Clear. Is it worth trying this? I have a spike in my nitrates and want to make sure I don't kill my clowns. I did a deep cleaning of the tank. I am going to do a 25 percent water change today. The other issue is that when I run my SOW-8 along with my Fluval 407 I am getting a micro bubble issue causing the water to look dirty as well. Should I strip the whole thing down and do like a 70 percent water change? I have been vacuuming continuously as well.
Ok- Its fluval canister which will be for you a challenge. I recommend to add a hang on Power filter which will add to water movement but also polish the water. The challenge with canister unit are they often dont keep up with needs of a tank as its a mechanical filter and you want to have mechanical , biological and chemical to manage proper water quality. The trap particles via the foam, etc but needs regular Maintenance often reducing any bacteria that has built up.
Chemical is what traps and breaks down chemical compounds such as feces and uneaten food often accomplished carbon and GFO
Biological is what utilizes the natural process of biological filtration such as use of ceramic nuggets, bio blocks, and microscopic bacteria surfaces as examples. Best it to add or use a hang on refugium such as Reef octopus or AquaMaxx unit and even add a hang on skimmer such as ice cap K1- or K2 100 to cover filtration needs

Upvote 0

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I relocate my clowns for now? I have my SOW 8 pointed towards to top but I keep getting an issue with micro bubbles as well. I have checked all my connections on my Fluval 407 canister filter and everything is seated and sealed properly. I also wonder if I have dirty sand still
No just add a wave maker and point at the surface.

A 407 is a great filter and you will do great with it.

Couple of suggestions I've learned. Have spare seals on hand.

Have a second set of filter pads on hand with extra carbon bags. When you clean your filter you can quickly change filter pads and carbon. Restart you filter. Than you can clean your filter pads well and not rush it. Repeat the next time you clean your filter.

Clean your filter once a month or every two weeks depending on needs. It really makes a difference.

Happy reefing

Fluval fx 4 started with a 407.
20240310_131400.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

ryrybeanie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok- Its fluval canister which will be for you a challenge. I recommend to add a hang on Power filter which will add to water movement but also polish the water. The challenge with canister unit are they often dont keep up with needs of a tank as its a mechanical filter and you want to have mechanical , biological and chemical to manage proper water quality. The trap particles via the foam, etc but needs regular Maintenance often reducing any bacteria that has built up.
Chemical is what traps and breaks down chemical compounds such as feces and uneaten food often accomplished carbon and GFO
Biological is what utilizes the natural process of biological filtration such as use of ceramic nuggets, bio blocks, and microscopic bacteria surfaces as examples. Best it to add or use a hang on refugium such as Reef octopus or AquaMaxx unit and even add a hang on skimmer such as ice cap K1- or K2 100 to cover filtration needs
Thank you for the tips. I have a 50 I have running marine only for a couple years. I have had very good success with that tank. I am using a basic double Marineland Penguin setup. Should I switch back from to a hang on solution? This is my first canister setup.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

ryrybeanie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this issue pretty badly when I started as well.. i ordered a cheap pump and a cheap UV sterilizer off amazon and put them both directly in the display and ran it for a week and it was crystal when it was done
If you don’t mind what type of pump did you buy? I saw they have an online uv sterilizer for Fluval. Is that along the right lines?

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 136 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back