OP
OP
jdivz87

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One MAJOR thing that these text type communications lack is body language. Sometimes a perfectly innocent comment can be misconstrued as something less than satisfying. As stated, these people are here for friendship and advise (both seeking and dispensing). Defensiveness can be taken as rudeness in a heartbeat. Just remember that we are here for each other. And others' successes (and failures for that matter) can be shared. Sorry. I got nothin' for ya that hasn't already been said, but wanted to put my two cents in on the issue at hand.
Agreed. I absolutely agree. So when I’m told I insulted someone wanting to help…. As YOU stated. Since these text lack body language, how I delivered the message was in NO WAY being defensive or being rude at all. BUT because ONE reader interpreted it as rude, that persons messages is justified. Absolutely not. As I stated once, twice, three times, I’ve been nothing but appreciative, grateful, and delighted with all the help. DO NOT come on someone’s post, making unnecessary comments, without understanding the text body language

OP
OP
jdivz87

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry just caught up. If you're still unsure if it's sand (silt/sediment) just turn off the the flow and see how things settle as a test
Definitely trying this. Seems to be common denominator. Thanks
I just read that people don't recommend water changes. I wasn't aware... I dealt with a bloom (before reading that) by removing the bacteria in the water column via water change, vacuum sand and less food fed for a bit. Tidied up in general. This (in my mind) removed some of the bact as well as thier possible fuel. Hypoxia can happen and I didn't want to just wait it out... Took a day if I recall. Good luck
token reefer, always comes out of nowhere! thank you so much

OP
OP
jdivz87

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this in my 15 nano for months. I was so ticked off. I tried seachem clarity and that helped then I noticed the same silt you have. I would blow it off and it kept coming back. I eventually just left it alone for a month and added another small pump and pointed it at my rock scape and water was then cloudy after but it stopped settling. I then did seachem clarity twice and then it cleared up! What I figured out was it was a combo of me not rinsing sand and having thin sand and a bacterial bloom at the same time. Bot sire if thats whats going on with your tank but thought I would share what happened and what I did to fix mine :)
I see that smiley face lol. Definitely trying this!!! Never though rock scape

lmfbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. I absolutely agree. So when I’m told I insulted someone wanting to help…. As YOU stated. Since these text lack body language, how I delivered the message was in NO WAY being defensive or being rude at all. BUT because ONE reader interpreted it as rude, that persons messages is justified. Absolutely not. As I stated once, twice, three times, I’ve been nothing but appreciative, grateful, and delighted with all the help. DO NOT come on someone’s post, making unnecessary comments, without understanding the text body language
Just in case this is your first day on the Internet, caps is generally considered yelling, and pretty rude.

Since it's pretty clear we've established this is most likely silt from unwashed sand, how has it cleared after turning off flow?

OP
OP
jdivz87

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their advice was to do what you are doing, but do it for longer. I think the time frame they offered was the real advice.

In a hobby where making a bunch of changes quickly is often a bad idea, I think this is pretty sage advise. Patience is rewarded in this hobby. You didn't rinse the sand. Other than removing and rinsing the sand or vacuuming the sand, it's a good plan to deal with the dust. It's just going to take weeks ( or maybe months imo) to filter out dust as it is disturbed. Like they said when they offered their advice.

Just in case this is your first day on the Internet, caps is generally considered yelling, and pretty rude.

Since it's pretty clear we've established this is most likely silt from unwashed sand, how has it cleared after turning off flow?

OP
OP
jdivz87

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lmfbs, you’re that one friend who jus can’t contain themselves and has to make a comment lol “first day on the internet” so much I can say? But won’t. Have a great day buddy

OP
OP
jdivz87

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my inbox is open for anyone who wants to have a conversation about anything other than reefing, people coming on here to continue making comments is getting a bit ridiculous at this point. I truly appreciate the ones who have given me advice. As always I’ll try everything yall told me to, seriously thank you. For those who feel the need to still make comments, please message me privately.

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely trying this. Seems to be common denominator. Thanks
I would do that. if the silt settles to the bottom, take out your livestock and make a huge mess in the tank by stirring up the sand with a turkey baster and gravel vacuum and then do a big water change - might not be the best thing to do but is what I would do in this situation.

OP
OP
jdivz87

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do that. if the silt settles to the bottom, take out your livestock and make a huge mess in the tank by stirring up the sand with a turkey baster and gravel vacuum and then do a big water change - might not be the best thing to do but is what I would do in this situation.
This will DEFINITELY be a last resort lol

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back