(baktabiznis) Red Sea Reefer 250 Build

baktabiznis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after leaving the hobby for the 2nd time all within 2 years I am back for good...This will be my third system but I have actually never ran a system for more than 5 months.

So in a last minute impulse I decided to go with a Red Sea Reefer 250 over a Deep Blue 57 rimless w/ Deep Blue stand. I have had Deep Blue tanks in the past and have had good and bad experiences with them but the DB stands are a little flimsy.

With my current schedule it's going to be tuff to find time to do all that is needed so this will definetly be a slow process!

----------Current Equipment-------------------------(* Denotes waiting on delivery)

Display - Red Sea Reefer 57
Stand - White Red Sea Reefer
Sump - Standard Reefer
Return - Jebao DCP Sine Wave Water Return Pump (DCP-5000)
Power Heads - 2x Jebao PP-4 530-1000 GPH Wavemaker with Controller
Substrate - Tropic Eden Reefflakes Aragonite Sand - 30lb*
Rock - CaribSea Life Rock 40lbs
Also, MarinePure Media Block (8x8x1)
RO/DI - BFS Buckeye Field and Supple (75GPD)
Controller - Neptune Apex Jr. w/ALD Module & 2x Sensors*

--------Equipment Needed---------------------------- (Please comment and recommend, I'm still debating on all equipment listed below)

Skimmer - Vertex 150
Lights - 2x Hydra 26 HD
Plumbing - Schedule 40 PVC w/ Flow Valves (only for return to incorporate reactor)

-----------Things I need 2 do------------
Aquascape
Add sand
Install in stand lighting (LED Strip?)
Mount Apex (install a false wall for an electrical panel)
Plumb return using schedule 40 PVC
Adjust doors (crooked, lol)

IMG_1948.JPG

IMG_1947.JPG

OP
OP
baktabiznis

baktabiznis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea really makes a nice cabinet. I didn't realize I would have to assemble the stand until I picked the system up. The stand feels really solid!

IMG_1949.JPG

IMG_1950.JPG

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after leaving the hobby for the 2nd time all within 2 years I am back for good...This will be my third system but I have actually never ran a system for more than 5 months.

So in a last minute impulse I decided to go with a Red Sea Reefer 250 over a Deep Blue 57 rimless w/ Deep Blue stand. I have had Deep Blue tanks in the past and have had good and bad experiences with them but the DB stands are a little flimsy.

With my current schedule it's going to be tuff to find time to do all that is needed so this will definetly be a slow process!

----------Current Equipment-------------------------(* Denotes waiting on delivery)

Display - Red Sea Reefer 57
Stand - White Red Sea Reefer
Sump - Standard Reefer
Return - Jebao DCP Sine Wave Water Return Pump (DCP-5000)
Power Heads - 2x Jebao PP-4 530-1000 GPH Wavemaker with Controller
Substrate - Tropic Eden Reefflakes Aragonite Sand - 30lb*
Rock - CaribSea Life Rock 40lbs
Also, MarinePure Media Block (8x8x1)
RO/DI - BFS Buckeye Field and Supple (75GPD)
Controller - Neptune Apex Jr. w/ALD Module & 2x Sensors*

--------Equipment Needed---------------------------- (Please comment and recommend, I'm still debating on all equipment listed below)

Skimmer - Vertex 150
Lights - 2x Hydra 26 HD
Plumbing - Schedule 40 PVC w/ Flow Valves (only for return to incorporate reactor)

-----------Things I need 2 do------------
Aquascape
Add sand
Install in stand lighting (LED Strip?)
Mount Apex (install a false wall for an electrical panel)
Plumb return using schedule 40 PVC
Adjust doors (crooked, lol)

IMG_1948.JPG

IMG_1947.JPG

I love the way they package their setups! Congratulations and good luck!

OP
OP
baktabiznis

baktabiznis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after a 48 leak test I filled the system with RO/DI and added salt. The glass on these tanks are crystal clear!!

IMG_1957.JPG

IMG_1951.JPG

OP
OP
baktabiznis

baktabiznis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered 40lbs of CaribSea Life Rock from PetMountain at a great price!!! It arrive packaged really good and the color on the rock is great!!

IMG_1972.JPG

IMG_1971.JPG

IMG_1973.JPG

IMG_1974.JPG

IMG_1976.JPG

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great start! I also just set up a red sea and I was very impressed with how sturdy the stand was considered you build it yourself. Do the reefers not come with plumbing? Have any areas on a stocking list yet?

OP
OP
baktabiznis

baktabiznis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great start! I also just set up a red sea and I was very impressed with how sturdy the stand was considered you build it yourself. Do the reefers not come with plumbing? Have any areas on a stocking list yet?
Yes all Reefers come with all required plumbing. Its all PVC except for the return, which is a 3/4" green vinyl tubing. I plan on hard plumbing the return using PVC so I can incorporate a manifold for reactors, easy water changes, ex...

Potential Stocking list:
2x Picasso clowns
Starcki Damsel
Flame Angel
Potters Angel
Chevron or Purple Tang

OP
OP
baktabiznis

baktabiznis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Flakes should be arriving tomorrow so I plan on trying to aquascape late tonight. I really don't want a lot of rock in this system. I want to leave room for SPS and Fish to swim in the open. I will post some pic's tonight.

marito09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes all Reefers come with all required plumbing. Its all PVC except for the return, which is a 3/4" green vinyl tubing. I plan on hard plumbing the return using PVC so I can incorporate a manifold for reactors, easy water changes, ex...

Potential Stocking list:
2x Picasso clowns
Starcki Damsel
Flame Angel
Potters Angel
Chevron or Purple Tang
I have the same tank and I was thinking on hard plumbing the return as well. I have a jebao DPC 6500 but I have no idea what I need to hard plumb (with space for 1 reactor) to the return of the reefer 250. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks! Great build btw!

OP
OP
baktabiznis

baktabiznis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank and I was thinking on hard plumbing the return as well. I have a jebao DPC 6500 but I have no idea what I need to hard plumb (with space for 1 reactor) to the return of the reefer 250. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks! Great build btw!

Thanks!!!

The DCP 6500 might be a little too overpowering. I know with my DCP 5000 the systen runs the quietest on the lowest setting, otherwise I get a gurgling sound. Allthough if you are going to hard plum with PVC and incorporate a reactor you should be ok. I can't find the post right now but there is some information out there about the fitting size that will directly screw into the drain of the reefer and replace the barbed section of the return.

The Practical Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey tank looks awesome I am also thinking about getting into the reefing hobby and looking at the 250, what was the total cost of the setup not including the live rock just the dry setup. Thanks

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree about the size of the return pump. Jebao is overpowered. Maybe with a reactor you'll be ok. I have a DTC 8000 on my Reffer 525XL, and it's currently way more than what is needed, but I plan on installing 3 reactors. It's currently set on 1 and is still a little too much.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking great!

OP
OP
baktabiznis

baktabiznis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey tank looks awesome I am also thinking about getting into the reefing hobby and looking at the 250, what was the total cost of the setup not including the live rock just the dry setup. Thanks

I paid $1350 for the Red Sea Reefer 250 at a local LFS. The white stand usually runs a little more then the black stand. The DCP 5000 was $90 and the PP4's were $50 each.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 73 43.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 59 35.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 24 14.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back