Barnacle Blennies question

Matt2939

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got 3 of these tiny guys added today. They have been fighting with each all day over their hiding spots. Whether it’s an old snail shell, or a barnacle hole, it seems like they want whatever the other one has. Is this normal?
IMG_0590.jpeg

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got 3 of these tiny guys added today. They have been fighting with each all day over their hiding spots. Whether it’s an old snail shell, or a barnacle hole, it seems like they want whatever the other one has. Is this normal?
IMG_0590.jpeg
Yes blennies are very territorial. Thats why its usually recommended one blenny per tank. They might figure it out but if not you might have to re home a few!

surlytx

Reefing Smarter, Not Harder (For Retirement)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three Mexican barnacle blennies. Had them for over a year now. They figured out their pecking order in a few months. They all now live in the same cluster of barnacle shells, just not in sight of one another. They will be fine. I really enjoy how interactive they are.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may need to add more homes for them. I met a guy years ago that had a few (6-8?) of these in a column tank. Had barnacles all up the back of the tank. If I remember correctly it was 24" tall maybe taller. They cohabitated ok with minor squabbles but he had a ton of places for them to live. I thought they and the tank were so cool. He said they have their days. Pretty sure he was not super impressed once he had them. But, I think they are really cute. Good luck

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back