Basic QT help and questions

EthanDouglas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a 20 long, HOB filter, micro powerhead, heater, and a bunch of PVC parts. I already have a light. Am I missing any equipment for a quarantine? I need to pick up my test kits and also more floss stuff for the HOB tomorrow.

The tank was pretty gunky (when you pay 17 dollars, what do you expect?), so I filled it with hose water and have everything running just to clean it out. Will that harm anything?

After I finish cleaning everything (I read that wiping it with vinegar does a good job. Is this true?) can I add salt water and a bottle of bacteria to start the cycle? Is it a good idea to have fish in QT before my tank is finished or am I getting too far ahead of myself?

Everything looks like it's coming together, slowly but surely. I'm going to be using a second 20 long as my sump. I'm going to measure out the baffles right after I post this. I wish I could've gone bigger, but that's the only tank I could find that fits in my stand.

Thanks so much to everyone on this forum. I love reading through all the different information and responses on here.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the sump you are talking about going on the QT? I was confused at that part.

On the rest... you'll want an ammonia alert badge by seachem for real time ammonia readings. When the fish go in depends on the situation. Are these fish in your display that need to go into QT for emergency treatment or new fish that you plan to purchase? If you are dealing with velvet, then put the fish in there right away and start treatment asap. If these are new fish that you plan to purchase, and you have the time, it's best to cycle the tank first as best you can.

Cleaning the tank with vinegar is a good plan. It will work just fine for you. Running the tap water through isn't going to hurt anything especially if it is all used equipment. I do suggest getting more sponges to keep in your display's filter (or sump preferrably) so that they are always seeded for future QT's.

Here are a few links to help out with what all you might need.
How to Quarantine
Medications to keep on hand
Copper test kits

Sagecritter4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey melpyr I put a couple extra of the little square sponges in sump of DT for the QT tanks like ya'll suggested but darn things float....how the heck you keep them submerged lol or is it ok that top little bit is above waterline in air?? Aggravates me so I flip them over now and then...chuckle.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey melpyr I put a couple extra of the little square sponges in sump of DT for the QT tanks like ya'll suggested but darn things float....how the heck you keep them submerged lol or is it ok that top little bit is above waterline in air?? Aggravates me so I flip them over now and then...chuckle.

I wedge them in between baffles so they stay put. You mainly want water flow and the presence of bacteria to colonize them. Oh, and time. :)

OP
OP
EthanDouglas

EthanDouglas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After re-reading my post, I can understand the confusion. No, the sump isn't for the QT - It's going on my 90 gal display. And I still haven't finished setting up my display so these would be fish I buy in the future, before I finish my display (sanding the stand, cleaning, cycling, etc.). Thanks for the links, I'll be sure to read through them when I have some spare time. I like the idea of using sponges that already had time to become colonized. Can you think of some way I could do that without having my display/sump ready?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of using sponges that already had time to become colonized. Can you think of some way I could do that without having my display/sump ready?

You can soak a sponge in a bowl with a product like "Seed" or "Fritz Turbo Start" for an hour then add it to the filter along with all the water in the bowl. This will allow the bacteria to settle on the sponge before turning on the flow of the filter. Starting it before you add fish is a good idea because you can then build up that bacteria colony to support a larger bioload by ghost feeding. "Seed" and others like it are a dormant bacteria that can take a week or so to become live again and start working. "Turbo Start" and others like it are live and active bacteria that should start working right away. Just fyi.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back