OP
akabryanhall

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to my point, I think this is a great thread and hope it opens peoples eyes or even certain "sellers" see it and think about the stuff the post or have on their site. The sad part is the 2k I spent with one seller could have turned into 10k over time but they wont see another cent from me.

Cudos for the examples!
I think that last point is one that most people overlook. If I get orders that look nothing like the pic, I won't order from you again. I know that corals look a little different depending on lighting, but I have LED's, so I know how corals look at their best, and it still doesn't look like the pic.

OP
OP
akabryanhall

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is still my favorite thread for Reef 2 Reef. I kind of forgot about it, glad to see its still going well :)

Chris
Thanks Chris,
I can always trust the corals from Reef Koi to look like they do in the pics you post.

OP
OP
akabryanhall

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is sad that this thread is a year old and certain vendors and sellers still over saturate and over shop there pictures. Some vendors won't even give a wysiwyg picture let alone under several different lighting combos. I hope this thread leads to buyers being more aware which will force some vendors to do the right thing. When you photoshopp to that degree, you are lieing to your customers which is just sad.
I do think that colony shots should be posted with wysiwyg pics as well though. I know that I would love to get an idea of how it will look when grown out. I think sometimes a wysiwyg by itself can be misleading, Chalices are a perfect example. I know that there are a few of them that look much better as 1 or 2 eyes with a sweet growth ring than when it grows out.

SteezySPS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
monitor resolution can alter pics too. the most common used right now is 1280x800 so I go with that and it made my older photos look over saturated. Usually you need photoshop or aperture to make your photos look more natural and many people don't have it.

OP
OP
akabryanhall

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since there was anothe thread on the subject thought I would resurrect again for more examples;)

mallorieGgator

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out this hot one:
Which one do you think is altered? :)
unknownchalicealtered.jpg

unknownchalice.jpg

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a side note the OP mentioned coraline as bright as the coral. While I agree this is a good sign its not a positive as I have some spots of coraline that glows neon red. I'm trying to get it to spread because it looks so nice lol slowly scraping little bits off here and there. And no its not cyano its very calcerous not easy to get off clearly coralline.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

rdvab

Texas "Primo"Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me , the introduction of macro lens photography has definitely been two fold. Yes the corals
Look amazing , but to the unknowing , the size is very deceiving. Add to that the new lighting and photo chopping , the new aquarist can be very disappointed when he/she receives their package.
Then we come to the "signature" corals . A name is just a name. A coral that morphed for someone because of lighting tank parameters etc is only worth more because of supply and demand . Same as new species in the trade. I am guilty of jumping on the new coral at 100% what it's with just to have one, but eventually the price gets more real.
Unfortunate for some the hobby has turned into a for profit venture for many. Leaving the new guys out in the cold . Chop shops and single polyp Zoa sales have gotten ridiculous IMO.
I dought anyone can truly trace a complete lineage of any morph. Maybe U.S. only but not World Wide.
JMO

steventaylor702

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edited
yrunyva4.jpg

Non-edited
py9y2uje.jpg

Edited
aqa8ebur.jpg

Non - edited
u8avuva8.jpg

I only edited them to get them as close as possible to how they really look under my lighting

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I'd give this a go. I don't think it's to obvious. Lol. Can you pick the correct one.

uploadfromtaptalk1406743411040.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1406743428004.jpg

footballdude2k3

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great bump from the dead, more people need to be aware of this, really seems like a bait and switch when what you get, looks nothing like the picture

sailfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no problem picking up on your average over saturated pictures. It also helps that I have a photo editing program & can reduce the saturation to get an idea of what it may really look like.

Recently I experienced a new problem that can only be explained as replacing colors. Say from brown to red.

I bought a coral from Extreme Corals that appeared to be red & green in their picture. The acan arrived at my house 24hrs after being put on their site. It arrived brown & green. There is no way an acan can lose that much color in 24s. The owner said his picture was an accurate representation of how it looked in his tank under his lights. I asked how long ago he took the pictures & he said the day before. I told him I wanted a partial refund because I would have never bought the coral had I known it was brown. He refused but said I could return it for a refund minus shipping costs. I said no thanks & informed him I will no longer be buying corals from him.

I later traded the coral into a local store for credit. It looked brown under there lights as well.:heh: This is the worst case of photoshopping I have ever experienced.

HIs picture from his site.

Mine the day I received it.

Last edited:

steventaylor702

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no problem picking up on your average over saturated pictures. It also helps that I have a photo editing program & can reduce the saturation to get an idea of what it may really look like.

Recently I experienced a new problem that can only be explained as replacing colors. Say from brown to red.

I bought a coral from Extreme Corals that appeared to be red & green in their picture. The acan arrived at my house 24hrs after being put on their site. It arrived brown & green. There is no way an acan can lose that much color in 24s. The owner said his picture was an accurate representation of how it looked in his tank under his lights. I asked how long ago he took the pictures & he said the day before. I told him I wanted a partial refund because I would have never bought the coral had I known it was brown. He refused but said I could return it for a refund minus shipping costs. I said no thanks & informed him I will no longer be buying corals from him.

I later traded the coral into a local store for credit. It looked brown under there lights as well.:heh: This is the worst case of photoshopping I have ever experienced.

HIs picture from his site.

Mine the day I received it.
It looks like you have it under t5s and his looks like they were under LED. You can see that he saturated the photo and tweaked the colors a little but but as far as it goes under the right lighting that acan could be gorgeous, not quite like the picture put none the less a very nice looking piece.

Dysert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this in another thread, but it was in a different context. I wanted to post this in the beginners forum to help newbies recognize what to look for when buying coral.
I think that most vendors provide very accurate depictions of what their corals look like. There is a program called Photoshop, which some of you may or may not be aware of. I use it, and I think a lot of people use it as well, the trick is to use it responsibly. I sometimes have a hard time capturing the true color of a coral, so I will use Photoshop to touch up my photos to make the coral look more like it does in my tank. My photography skills are not great so this can be a lifesaver.
An example
This is an original picture of a pink watermelon I have.
PWMOG.jpg

Touched up to make it look like it does in my tank
PWM-1.jpg

This is the way some corals look on for sale threads
PWM2.jpg

Some things to note. Take a look at the colors of the coral or algae around the coral in question. Is the coraline just as colorful as the coral? Something may be up. Also shadows are not supposed to have a lot of color like they do in the right hand side of the last pic. Quite beautiful examples of Blue and Purple.

Please, if anyone else can provide examples of exaggerated pictures (YOUR OWN) of coral done in Photoshop, please provide them along with comparison shots.
Good info to put out, thank you. Are you familiar with Adobe Lightroom? Another hobby of mine is photography. Lightroom is MUCH easier than Photoshop (imo). Adobe offers a photographers package that includes Lightroom and Photoshop for a low price. Think of Lightroom as a digital darkroom, but with sliders, from the days of 35mm film.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back