How to make corals glow?

moneyman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the most frustrating things about reef keeping is when I get a coral that looks really cool at the fish store just to come home with it and it will be dull. I understand that fish store lights are often exaggerated, but still. The tanks I see on the Internet (which I also know is sometimes exaggerated) look so bright and the corals glow so much.

My tank on the other hand, does not. Like some of the colors I see at the store are completely missing. My most notable example with this is my new bta. There is no nice florescent green base like I saw at the store. I know that the colors aren't completely missing Becuase when I shine direct blue light on it it looks perfect.

I don't like playing with my lighting much, so any suggestions? I specifically want more green, red, and blue to shine bright. That and if possible, with low algae growth. I am still a beginner after all. Light:
UV:100%
V:100%
RY:122%
B:100%
G:12%
DR:13%
ML:0%
CW:10%

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe see what lights and setting the store uses and see if you can set your lights to mimic that. I know you said you don't want to mess with lighting but if a coral pops under one light and not another I would think changing lighting is the only way to accomplish that. You could even change it just durring the period you view the tank most.

OP
OP
M

moneyman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank pic?

Your lighting probably isn't an issue. But if it's the blue tank glowing corals you desire, why not pump up the blues and turn everything else down?
Won't that increase algae growth? That is one of the main things I am trying to avoid, and I know it may not be possible. But is turning up the blues even more the answer? They already are somewhat high.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won't that increase algae growth? That is one of the main things I am trying to avoid, and I know it may not be possible. But is turning up the blues even more the answer? They already are somewhat high.
The ugly phase comes for everyone who uses dry rock. It's not something that should be dreaded, as it's a natural progression.

OP
OP
M

moneyman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ugly phase comes for everyone who uses dry rock. It's not something that should be dreaded, as it's a natural progression.
But the thing is that the tank has been up for almost 3 years, we moved the tank about 8 months ago

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stores generally use a mix of colors specifically to bring out the fluorescent and non-fluorescent pigment colors for their displays. When you're at the store, look at which LED colors they're using, ask them what their settings are, and what other specific bulbs they're using.

Your best bet to bring out the color of fluorescent pigments is to use wavelengths between 400nm (the border between visible and UVA) and around 520nm. There are some pigments that are excited by longer wavelengths, but you'll most likely see more obvious results from the violet through blue range. White light can actually mask the fluorescence to the eye. Of course, different corals have different fluorescent pigments, so your results will vary.

For the AI, I recommend that you turn on ONLY UV, violet, royal blue and blue together for the best demonstration of fluorescence. Also, see what happens when you use each of those colors independently.

Not sure what colors you're mentioning with RY and DR. Typos?

OP
OP
M

moneyman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stores generally use a mix of colors specifically to bring out the fluorescent and non-fluorescent pigment colors for their displays. When you're at the store, look at which LED colors they're using, ask them what their settings are, and what other specific bulbs they're using.

Your best bet to bring out the color of fluorescent pigments is to use wavelengths between 400nm (the border between visible and UVA) and around 520nm. There are some pigments that are excited by longer wavelengths, but you'll most likely see more obvious results from the violet through blue range. White light can actually mask the fluorescence to the eye. Of course, different corals have different fluorescent pigments, so your results will vary.

For the AI, I recommend that you turn on ONLY UV, violet, royal blue and blue together for the best demonstration of fluorescence. Also, see what happens when you use each of those colors independently.

Not sure what colors you're mentioning with RY and DR. Typos?
The two are royal blue and deep red

thrillreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some orange glasses and turn on only blues and UV. Max fluorescence. My kids are obsessed with this setup.

Also healthy corals = colorful corals. What are your parameters, including P and N levels? Are you feeding coral foods?

OP
OP
M

moneyman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some orange glasses and turn on only blues and UV. Max fluorescence. My kids are obsessed with this setup.

Also healthy corals = colorful corals. What are your parameters, including P and N levels? Are you feeding coral foods?
I know for a matter of fact the corals are healthy Becuase the switch between the fish store and my tank is instant. Also I have been feeding the corals reef roids once a week.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my 18" nano cube running 2 16hds. First 4 channels 100% the rest 50%. 1 hr up/down 8 hours peak.
A pic of your system would be nice.
You will get the glow during ramp up/down.
Otherwise corals look real good, imo.
20220926_094502.jpg

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my 18" nano cube running 2 16hds. First 4 channels 100% the rest 50%. 1 hr up/down 8 hours peak.
A pic of your system would be nice.
You will get the glow during ramp up/down.
Otherwise corals look real good, imo.
20220926_094502.jpg
Sweet. I'd love to see it with just fluorescent pigments and a filter to reduce the blue glow.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet. I'd love to see it with just fluorescent pigments and a filter to reduce the blue glow.
Well I dont see the blue glow and its actually whiter than my radions. Tank was only 10 months old and then I took it down.
Here is another 30g tank with 2 16hds next to the 80 running 4 radion xr15 blue.
16hds are whiter at my setting and is the look I actually prefer.
20230709_093302.jpg

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was referring to the overdriven blue appearance that most digital cameras experience with blue reef lighting. As you've no doubt experienced is that the camera doesn't see it the way the eyes do.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was referring to the overdriven blue appearance that most digital cameras experience with blue reef lighting. As you've no doubt experienced is that the camera doesn't see it the way the eyes do.
Those were taken with an icecap 15k filter lens. Its what the tank looks like in person, imo.
Different than just a cell pic.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back