New to Saltwater - Light Fixture Help

bdongoron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys - I’m new to saltwater and currently working on my first setup. When I did freshwater/mbunas I ran a light bar, the Fluval plant 3.0.
I would ideally like to run a light bar again for the saltwater setup but am conflicted on what to purchase. I don’t hear great things about the fluval marine 3.0 for growing corals. I’ve looked at the NICREW 36w light bar on amazon and it seems to have fairly good reviews. I’ve also heard that reef bright xho and Quanta are good options, but have also seen mixed reviews on them.

I’m super ocd so hanging something from the ceiling is not an option. I also don’t want to mount a light to the back of the tank and have a cord running right down the middle. Here is a photo of my current setup. I need something that will sit or mount cleanly on rimless tank. My tank is 46”. I love the programmability that comes with fluvals app but at the end of the day I want a light that makes everything really pop and also the ability to grow corals. I’m in no rush, taking the build slow and trying to piece it all together one step at a time.

IMG_6347.jpeg
IMG_6291.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orphek makes nice light strips

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey Guys - I’m new to saltwater and currently working on my first setup. When I did freshwater/mbunas I ran a light bar, the Fluval plant 3.0.
I would ideally like to run a light bar again for the saltwater setup but am conflicted on what to purchase. I don’t hear great things about the fluval marine 3.0 for growing corals. I’ve looked at the NICREW 36w light bar on amazon and it seems to have fairly good reviews. I’ve also heard that reef bright xho and Quanta are good options, but have also seen mixed reviews on them.

I’m super ocd so hanging something from the ceiling is not an option. I also don’t want to mount a light to the back of the tank and have a cord running right down the middle. Here is a photo of my current setup. I need something that will sit or mount cleanly on rimless tank. My tank is 46”. I love the programmability that comes with fluvals app but at the end of the day I want a light that makes everything really pop and also the ability to grow corals. I’m in no rush, taking the build slow and trying to piece it all together one step at a time.

IMG_6347.jpeg
IMG_6291.jpeg
Look at Reefbrite XHO Or Orphek OR3 sky blue and blue plus.
Issue may be, they run either 36" or 48" in length. Current orbit lights have a bar on each end to adjust to tank but not a great light

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One ap9x would look great on and in that tank imo.

OP
OP
bdongoron

bdongoron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at Reefbrite XHO Or Orphek OR3 sky blue and blue plus.
Issue may be, they run either 36" or 48" in length. Current orbit lights have a bar on each end to adjust to tank but not a great light
Thanks so much man. The reef rite xho seems like a good starter light I may start there and upgrade down the road.

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the lights I have seen mentioned here are ok. But they are just ok, for 2 reasons, price and lack of wattage. NO matter what lights you invest in, you are going to have some type of hanging system that is not going to look as clean as no lights. I would strongly suggest small cables from hooks in the ceiling as being the cleanest look, but just about every light made has a kit to mount it on your tank. I am a big fan of the Reefi Uno 2.0 lights. This chart pretty much explains why but I will add these lights have a 3yr warranty, longest in the industy I do believe. If anyone else has a longer warranty I don't know of it, but I will wager they do not provide the level of customer service you get from the Reefi Lights. See for yourself if you have facebook, https://www.facebook.com/groups/ReeFiLove/

I run 4 of these lights on an 8ft tank, mixed reef 12inches above waterline with 90 degree relfectors. Running about half power I am over 100par on the sand in 27inches of water and do they grow coral, WOW!! Yes I am biased, I freely admit it. But it is hard not to love these lights when you see what they can for your tank/coral first hand.

1712226296313.png

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 50 76.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.2%
Back